Tories Plan To Raise The State Pension Age To 75

The Government are planning to raise the pension age to 75 over the next 16 years, this is based on a think tanks finding chaired by Ian Duncan Smith. This man must hate the thought of people having a decent lifestyle, look what he did with the DWP and now he wants people to work to 75.  This will make a lot more money for the Government as a lot of people will surely die before they reach 75. I feel sorry for the younger generation that will be working and have to work on till they are 75, especially as a lot of jobs will not be able to be done by people that age.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tories-raise-state-pension-age-18953679

On reading this, my immediate reaction was a one - word response that would get me another ban.

13 minutes ago, iansheff said:

The Government are planning to raise the pension age to 75 over the next 16 years, this is based on a think tanks finding chaired by Ian Duncan Smith. This man must hate the thought of people having a decent lifestyle, look what he did with the DWP and now he wants people to work to 75.  This will make a lot more money for the Government as a lot of people will surely die before they reach 75. I feel sorry for the younger generation that will be working and have to work on till they are 75, especially as a lot of jobs will not be able to be done by people that age.

That is not true. 

A think tank has proposed this idea. Sometimes proposals from this particular think tank eventually make their way into government policy, more often than not they don't. 

This particular policy suggestion has the made the headlines because of the fact it would be widely unpopular, which almost guarantees that it would never become government policy. 

21 minutes ago, iansheff said:

This will make a lot more money for the Government as a lot of people will surely die before they reach 75.

That was the reason why the original age of 65 was chosen.

People live longer and generally healthier lives now and most don't do the heavy manual work they did in the good old days.

Its going to come but which party will take the bitter pill?

Conservative members average age? Conservative voter average age?

Labour rolling back the welfare state?

The alternative is higher taxes.

My bet is that, whoever it is, will come to some formula that does the job by scores of increments.

Edited by Flanker7

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

The Government are planning to raise the pension age to 75 over the next 16 years, this is based on a think tanks finding chaired by Ian Duncan Smith.

I am just within that age range, its has been common sence for years that if people are living longer and the pension age will increase.

When the pension age of 65 was brought in, the average age of death was 58

So all those people that have seen their living standards rise over the last 25 years can start planning for their old age. People can actually retire at whatever age they choose, unless they are relying on others to support them. Some choose to carry on working and some like to retire early. I will no doubt carry on, I would prefer to be productive.

Who could cope with 20+ years of leisure or inactivity?

34 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I am just within that age range, its has been common sence for years that if people are living longer and the pension age will increase.

When the pension age of 65 was brought in, the average age of death was 58

So all those people that have seen their living standards rise over the last 25 years can start planning for their old age. People can actually retire at whatever age they choose, unless they are relying on others to support them. Some choose to carry on working and some like to retire early. I will no doubt carry on, I would prefer to be productive.

Who could cope with 20+ years of leisure or inactivity?*

* my bold

Ouch!

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Who could cope with 20+ years of leisure or inactivity?

If a person cannot find enough to do with their time away from work, there is something wrong in my opinion.

6 hours ago, iansheff said:

The Government are planning to raise the pension age to 75 over the next 16 years, this is based on a think tanks finding chaired by Ian Duncan Smith

:huh: I wonder where IDS got his inspiration from.

https://images.app.goo.gl/uUpJyomyziskYiDH7

5 hours ago, iansheff said:

Your completely misleading thread title goes perfectly with the completely misleading news headline. 

Where exactly is this "tory plan" to raise the pension age??    Who has actually said they are implimenting such a thing?      Also, if they actually did proceed with such proposal - would that really be such a bad thing considering the average life expectancy has increased massively since the original pension age was set.    The "population" dont like a lot of things but it doesn't mean that its not good for them.

Anyway, back on topic - its completely obvious that "a think tank has proposed" does not default to automatic policy and law.   Think tanks by their very function propose lots of things all the time - doesn't mean that parliament takes notice.    As others have said, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont.    Either way such "plans" would have to get through series of endless consultations, research, studies, policy drafts, committees, discussions and votes before it becomes anywhere near to what can  be accurately described as "planning to...."

Jesus, I know the Daily Mirror is not exactly known for thier quality journalism but they are faster and faster becoming as bad the The Canary with their rediculously sensationalised and completely biased excrement disguised as "news stories". 

52 minutes ago, Janus said:

If a person cannot find enough to do with their time away from work, there is something wrong in my opinion.

Absolutely, certainly if you're financially secure because you're then taking a job from a younger person who needs it.

26 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Absolutely, certainly if you're financially secure because you're then taking a job from a younger person who needs it.

Good point, what ever happened to the incentives for early retirement, so as to bring in young folks with kids and mortgages? 

75 lol, I'd love to see folks doing what I did up to 75. People were amazed that I lasted until 69. Those guys in the Think Tank should get the lid put on the tank and weld it up, just for even think about this.

Edited by Ontarian1981