Lord Mountbatten, Uncle Of Prince Philip Plotted To Remove Pm Harold Wilson

It wasn't just Lord Mountbatten that wanted Harold Wilson out, the MI5 had a secret file on him too.

There was a television  programme  about this a few years ago, there were a variety of conspiracy  theories concerning Harold Wilson and the KGB, it did leave you thinking.

As it was stated " The Wilson Plot was our Watergate.

17 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

It wasn't just Lord Mountbatten that wanted Harold Wilson out, the MI5 had a secret file on him too.

There was a television  programme  about this a few years ago, there were a variety of conspiracy  theories concerning Harold Wilson and the KGB, it did leave you thinking.

If I'm not mistaken, back in the 1970s when Harold Wilson was briefly PM, people took it as a sign of his apparent 'increasing unwellness', that he spoke about plots to oust him. Now we know those fears were well founded. 

Wasn't the book Spycatcher an expose of the MI5 effort to get rid of Wilson?

22 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There was talk at some point last year of a group of establishment figures, including senior military figures planning to stage a coup if a Corbyn government was elected.

History repeating itself.

Mountbatten was an absolutely vile piece of work. When he was Viceroy of India he was stuck at a level crossing when the gates were shut. He told his driver to open the gates to allow him through as he was in a hurry. When the signalman refused, he ordered his driver to beat up the signalman and open the gates himself. When he had gone through, his driver wanted to go back and shut the crossing gates as he could here the train coming. Mountbatten told him to leave them and drive on.

When he was blown up by the IRA in 1979, it wasn’t just the people of Belfast and Derry who were celebrating. 😉

Two innocent children also died in that explosion. 

Edited by Baron99

12 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Two innocent children also died in that explosion. 

And the relevance of that to a discussion of Mountbatten is? 🙄

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

And the relevance of that to a discussion of Mountbatten is? 🙄

It is relevant to your happy face post about how many people were celebrating Mountbatten's terrorist instigated murder. This incident among other atrocities,  just showed what those IRA monsters were all about, i.e. killing women and kids in their misguided fight for a united Ireland.However you seemed to think it was amusing.

Edited by Ontarian1981

22 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

It is relevant to your happy face post about how many people were celebrating Mountbatten's terrorist instigated murder. This incident among other atrocities,  just showed what those IRA monsters were all about, i.e. killing women and kids in their misguided fight for a united Ireland.However you seemed to think it was amusing.

It wasn’t a ‘happy face’ smiley it was a ‘wink’ smiley to indicate that there were also those in the British ruling class who weren’t going to shed too many tears for Mountbatten. 

And let’s not forget that there were many women and children killed by the police and army at the time, including a 28 year old man shot dead by the British Army on the same day that Mountbatten was killed but I doubt that anyone can even remember his name.

Obviously the life of a member of the British royal family is worth more than a young Irish man.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It wasn’t a ‘happy face’ smiley it was a ‘wink’ smiley to indicate that there were also those in the British ruling class who weren’t going to shed too many tears for Mountbatten. 

And let’s not forget that there were many women and children killed by the police and army at the time, including a 28 year old man shot dead by the British Army on the same day that Mountbatten was killed but I doubt that anyone can even remember his name.

Obviously the life of a member of the British royal family is worth more than a young Irish man.

I watched a programme tonight and he was English working with his Irish cousin, in Ireland. His dad worked at Buckingham palace!

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The point of my post was that you offhandedly dismissed a poster who mentioned that two kids were killed as well as Mountbatten as irrelevant. Yet it was you who gave relevance to his post by mentioning the bombing in the first place.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:37, jaffa1 said:

Wilson may have had an MI5 file on him and may have been considered subversive at the time...but the sobering thing is, that I would willingly have voted for him had I been around at the time.

Would I vote for his modern day equivalent...Mr Corbyn...absolutely not.

A poor alternative to a man of Harold Wilson's ability.

That's Labour's problem.

JC will never appeal to swing voters like myself.

10 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Keep digging, Australia will soon be in reach!

7 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The point of my post was that you offhandedly dismissed a poster who mentioned that two kids were killed as well as Mountbatten as irrelevant. 

Offhandedly! Really?

What I actually did was ask the poster what the relevance was, given that this was a thread about Mountbatten’s attempt to conspire against the Wilson government. I still don’t have a reply.

10 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

The point of my post was that you offhandedly dismissed a poster who mentioned that two kids were killed as well as Mountbatten as irrelevant. Yet it was you who gave relevance to his post by mentioning the bombing in the first place.

Thanks Ontarian1981. 

I wasn't going to be to give any further credence to TopCatsHat crass reply. 

One of the joys of posting on SF is that most of the time you can debate with adults while leaving the incredulous on the sidelines. 

Edited by Baron99