Lord Mountbatten, Uncle Of Prince Philip Plotted To Remove Pm Harold Wilson

Because he's a reference point for those who aren't sure of who Lord Mountbatten was. 

Even more pertinently:

According to a new biography of Mountbatten, Prince Charles’s great uncle and mentor, it took the intervention of the Queen to persuade him to cut his ties with the plotters rather than acting against Wilson, his Cabinet and Parliament.

Aren't you even fascinated by the content of the article? 

Edited by Mister M

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Because he's a reference point for those who aren't sure of who Lord Mountbatten was. 

Even more pertinently:

According to a new biography of Mountbatten, Prince Charles’s great uncle and mentor, it took the intervention of the Queen to persuade him to cut his ties with the plotters rather than acting against Wilson, his Cabinet and Parliament.

The article didn't mention Prince Philip. It must have assumed the readership was sure who Lord Mountbatten was but thanks for letting we plebs know.

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

The article didn't mention Prince Philip. It must have assumed the readership was sure who Lord Mountbatten was but thanks for letting we plebs know.

Thanks for that Jim. Obviously, pulling me up for mentioning Prince Philip in the thread title is of more significance than the explosive revelations concerning the establishment and the attempt to bring down a government.

There was talk at some point last year of a group of establishment figures, including senior military figures planning to stage a coup if a Corbyn government was elected.

History repeating itself.

Mountbatten was an absolutely vile piece of work. When he was Viceroy of India he was stuck at a level crossing when the gates were shut. He told his driver to open the gates to allow him through as he was in a hurry. When the signalman refused, he ordered his driver to beat up the signalman and open the gates himself. When he had gone through, his driver wanted to go back and shut the crossing gates as he could here the train coming. Mountbatten told him to leave them and drive on.

When he was blown up by the IRA in 1979, it wasn’t just the people of Belfast and Derry who were celebrating. 😉

It’s a good job we had men like Lord Mountbatten of Burma during the Second World War and Prince Philip.  Two brave men who saved many lives.

Edited by hauxwell

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Why bring Prince Philip into it?

The link is very strong.

Historically, Mountbatten wanted to promote himself and his family and have influence in Government through next generation of Royals and in particular saw an opportunity through his nephew Philip who was very much a minor Royal.

Mountbatten was aware that the future queen, Elizabeth was keen on Philip and it is extensively written about that Mountbatten used every means possible to smooth the objections the family and Government had to Philip.

Having never known either of his grandfathers, Mountbatten made sure he was around to fill that role for Charles and thus creating for himself a bigger position in 'society'  and politics than he merited.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Why bring Prince Philip into it?

Maybe because it is relevant.

Member of the royal family, closely linked to important member of the royal family, plots to bring down elected PM.

In past years that would have been a huge scandal. Nowadays it is just run of the mill craziness 

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

There was talk at some point last year of a group of establishment figures, including senior military figures planning to stage a coup if a Corbyn government was elected.

History repeating itself.

Mountbatten was an absolutely vile piece of work. When he was Viceroy of India he was stuck at a level crossing when the gates were shut. He told his driver to open the gates to allow him through as he was in a hurry. When the signalman refused, he ordered his driver to beat up the signalman and open the gates himself. When he had gone through, his driver wanted to go back and shut the crossing gates as he could here the train coming. Mountbatten told him to leave them and drive on.

When he was blown up by the IRA in 1979, it wasn’t just the people of Belfast and Derry who were celebrating. 😉

you were there at the time??? or is it just hearsay.........oh it is, actually your comments are pretty vile if you were celebrating his death, did you celebrate Thatchers death also?

31 minutes ago, Borista336 said:

you were there at the time??? or is it just hearsay.........oh it is, actually your comments are pretty vile if you were celebrating his death, did you celebrate Thatchers death also?

In 1947? No, I wasn’t there. I wasn’t in Sarajevo either when Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated so I guess that didn’t happen.

And given that I was a kid when Mountbatten was killed, I wouldn’t have even known who he was never mind celebrating.

3 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

In 1947? No, I wasn’t there. I wasn’t in Sarajevo either when Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated so I guess that didn’t happen.

And given that I was a kid when Mountbatten was killed, I wouldn’t have even known who he was never mind celebrating.

so why make stupid comments? also the killing gives it a clue as why we know it happened? saying someone opens some gates and beat up a person does not!