Help Finding Family

hi this is a long shot if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, my parents are both deceased, my fathers name was Horace Yates born 1909? don't remember his parents first names, he had a brother Walt and sister Mabel, my mother was Doris Brown she was married before my father and became Scofield, she lived on Melville Road Attercliffe had sister Evelyn and Brothers Sam Frank Jack Raymond her father was Sam mothers name has slipped my mind she was born in 1919, when she married my dad they moved to Pearl Street and had Christine Lesley, Jennifer Margaret, Penelope Anne but I have reason to believe  there may have been other children that were given up for adoption, its that I need the help with, I just don't know how to start looking! thanks for taking the time and having the patience to read this! Penny. x

Hi Penny, I have been doing family history & am happy to help but just to be clear about various things - was your mum born Doris Brown & then married a man called Schofield?  Was your mum born 1919 or was that someone else ? Are you ************* ?  I think your mum married Herbert K Schofield in 1940 in  Sheffield. Did Herbert die or were they divorced ? Any idea when your mum  & dad married - I can't find a marriage for them. Suggest you contact me at johnpetermoore@sky.com.

John

Edited by johnpm
Use of real name

Thomas Yates 1879 , Annie Mabel Yates nee Vernon 1883, Horace Yates 1910.

Hi Thank you both for the replies, yes my mother was Doris Brown and married a Mr Scofield, I think he was killed in the war, think she married Horace Yates in December 1943. Had my oldest sister Christine in January 1944, my mum was born in March 1919. Thanks Pennyx

Hi Penny - in 1943 Horace Yates, born Jan-Mar 1910, married Doris Schofield (née Brown), born 12 March 1919 as you wrote (as johnpm noted there is a 1940 Sheffield marriage record for a Doris Brown and a Herbert K. Schofield). In my own experience, tracing adopted children can be difficult  but a number of Sheffield-born children with the surname Yates and mother's maiden name Brown are in the births index in the 1940s and later. These include Christine L. Yates and Penelope A. Yates as you wrote, and Jennifer M. Yates with her mother's maiden name given as Schofield,  but it's hard to identify which of the other three Yates/Brown children shown in the index might be your siblings who could have been adopted. As you, Christine and Jennifer all have middle names (and two of the other three don't), then a possibility may be Susan P. Yates born 1949. The birth certificate (obtainable from the Sheffield Register Office or online from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/) would give the names of both parents. Good luck in your quest!

Edited by hillsbro

There are Vernon's in Pearl Street -1939 register.

1 hour ago, retep said:

There are Vernon's in Pearl Street -1939 register.

Quite right - not sure if they are related to Annie; her parents were evidently Richard and Mary Vernon and she had siblings Harry, Frank, Hetty, Bertha, Melvina and Edith.  The 1939 Register shows Penny’s mother’s family the Browns on Melville Road as Penny stated. They were at No 24 – here is a scan. https://i.postimg.cc/jqhHZbBg/01.jpg  The "K I A" at the lower left perhaps stands for "killed in action" - the "Army Roll of Honour 1939-45" confirms that Private Herbert K. Schofield of the Pioneer Corps died in North Africa on 6 April 1943. The "29.12.43" is perhaps the date of Doris's marriage to Thomas Yates.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Penny,

If you look on 'FreeBMD' you can check for any births there.

Jennifer M. Yates 1945 has the mothers maiden name Schofield.

The following have the mothers maiden name 'Brown'.  Are these also you family.

Susan P. Yates 1949, Gillian Yates 1951 and Peter Yates 1955.

You will see that Peter has the same birth registration year as Penelope A.   so they are either twins or different families.

thank you all for the help, its been eating away at me for quite a few years now! just after some answers! Penny xx