Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Rip Andrew Harper - Thames Valley Police

Recommended Posts

I believe it's the correct result 

In theory you can get a life sentence for a manslaughter verdict.

In these loathesome individuals case there are plenty of aggravating circumstances, so they will soon regret appearing so happy with the outcome.

As has been reported there are believed to be evidence of attempted  witness intimidation, the police hopefully will gathering evidence on that and see those behind it in the dock too.

RIP ,PC Harper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, apelike said:

I'm afraid that the law and its not up to the people to decide the outcome.

Yes I think you are right.  I’ve just read something by a home affairs correspondent.  He says there are only two possible routes for a retrial and I don’t think this case meets the criteria.
 

 

 

Edited by hauxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

34 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Yes I think you are right.  I’ve just read something by a home affairs correspondent.  He says there are only two possible routes for a retrial and I don’t think this case meets the criteria.
 

 

 

I agree also. The court heard all the evidence and concluded that there was no intent to kill the officer. Whilst I have every sympathy with the dead officer's wife and family, I hope their petition doesn't lead to a retrial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I’ve read the grounds for retrial of a jury verdict are quite specific- either intimidation of witnesses or jury member and/or new evidence. Whilst there are rumours circulating re the former nothing had yet been proven so let’s hope the judge imposes appropriate sentences 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 29/07/2020 at 17:13, hauxwell said:

Yes I think you are right.  I’ve just read something by a home affairs correspondent.  He says there are only two possible routes for a retrial and I don’t think this case meets the criteria.
 

 

 

 The petition is still going strong, I would like to see a retrial.  

Edited by hauxwell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

 The petition is still going strong, I would like to see a retrial.  

I can fully understand that and imagine lots of people have the same opinion.   

 

But what concerns me with things like this is facts of law.  Exactly what grounds, demonstratable legal inaccuracies and evidence do all the people signing the position have to demand a retrial? 

 

I fully appreciate the highly emotional subject under discussion and the disgrace that a serving officer has been killed in such a brutal and despicable way - but this is a point of law which should go far beyond inevitable slacktivism, clicking a few buttons and adding names to a list. 

 

Petitions are usually set up for a matter to be debated in parliament if they have enough signatories.   However there is a very distinct gap between influence of parliament and judicial independence which for very good reasons needs to be adhered to.  

 

Whilst a public show of support is pleasing, in my opinion it should be a simply a matter for the widow and the victims to decide on any retrial not one to be forced upon or heavily encouraged by lots of speculation and uninformed opinion from wider members of the public.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with most of the above although I disagree that in this case the widow or victims should be able to decide on any retrial. If people want to petition parliament then they should do so for a change in the laws we presently have which parliament make and not on how they are interpreted when sentencing is or has been carried out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have received a longer sentence than I expected for manslaughter, I thought the maximum you could receive was 10 years, but I was wrong.

 

I’m pleased the judge said: "Sometimes death may be caused by an act of gross carelessness, sometimes it is very close to a case of murder in its seriousness. That is so, here."  He said the defendants' denials they did not know they were dragging anything behind the car were "clearly false" and he rejected the idea they had shown remorse.


The Judge was spot on when he summed this case up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

I can fully understand that and imagine lots of people have the same opinion.   

 

But what concerns me with things like this is facts of law.  Exactly what grounds, demonstratable legal inaccuracies and evidence do all the people signing the position have to demand a retrial? 

 

I fully appreciate the highly emotional subject under discussion and the disgrace that a serving officer has been killed in such a brutal and despicable way - but this is a point of law which should go far beyond inevitable slacktivism, clicking a few buttons and adding names to a list. 

 

Petitions are usually set up for a matter to be debated in parliament if they have enough signatories.   However there is a very distinct gap between influence of parliament and judicial independence which for very good reasons needs to be adhered to.  

 

Whilst a public show of support is pleasing, in my opinion it should be a simply a matter for the widow and the victims to decide on any retrial not one to be forced upon or heavily encouraged by lots of speculation and uninformed opinion from wider members of the public.  

I am out of my depth when it comes to the Criminal Courts and being separate from Parliament .  I don’t  know everything that was discussed  in court either, but I just found it hard to believe that these thugs didn’t know that Andrew Harper was being dragged along the road.  


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that our three thugs won't be so smirky and glib for too long, once their new housemates get to grips with them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.