Helicopter Northern General Hospital

Do they come straight in to land or is there a procedure?

Because I think they circle but was told they come straight in

I know they have a hawk down there to scare off large birds for either safer landing or take off.  A friend was there once when it happened and I cannot recall if it was landing or taking off. 

I would think it would land which ever is the quickest way as it will have very ill people on board.  So I would go for straight in.

Angel1

Most times I’ve seen it from longley park it seems to circle in 

I watched them land the a couple of weeks back and it seemed to fly over the hospital and as firthpark says it circled around prior to landing.  Apart from the fact it is carrying sick people it was quite good to see. 

All aircraft take off and land facing the prevailing wind as it is safer, more controlled and uses less fuel. At the NGH, there is a large windsock to show the wind direction just above ground level and landing lights on all the buildings around.

The helicopter will approach the landing station and then wheel around so that it can land facing the prevailing wind.

be carefull when the water cannon goes off on the roof at fire drill. no warning no one in the car park to warn you ,I was sat in my car once when they set it off it does about a 100 yard circle of powerfull water like a violent storm so if happened to be walking up the slope you would get soaked.or left a car window open you'd be soaked it even reaches the other side of the little island

The helicopter cannot land until all the necessary staff are in place to receive it. They also have to have an critical incident crew in place in case the helicopter malfunctions and crash lands. It's not as simple as just approaching and landing.

Very true.  I had to spend a day on helicopter support procedures and protocols when working for search & rescue.

I'm sure there are two distinct air ambulances, one with skids and one with wheels.

The one with skids usually flies in lower and lands directly.

The one with wheels usually flies in from a higher altitude and circles around before landing.

Sources?  Living a mile away from the NGH and under the flight path 🤣

That's what I remember, although I've not seen or heard it since the summer, when I always assume it to be carrying the injured bodies of middle-aged motor cyclists who took a corner too fast . . .

I think the ones with skids are the yorkshire air ambulance, those  with wheels are the larger coastguard ones.

Is there a helicopter pad near the spinal injuries dept where I go ?  There was one at lodge moor hospital