Big Brother Is |Watching Us.

Popped out for a nibble into the Derbyshire Dales yesterday with her indoors. We had a very nice ride round, ending with the nibbles in a nice little farm cafe. We had a longer journey home as we visited Whaley Bridge on route, just being nosy was the reason.

Anyhow, here is the reason for the post. My mobile phone was turned on and sat in its holder, from leaving home until our return. It was not used at all, no calls outgoing or incoming. It is blue toothed to the car. As I was removing the phone at home it bleeped and it displayed, new message, or email, can't remember which, memory is shot, mine not the phone.  It asked about the visit to farm cafe was it good, bad, would you recommend it you know that sort of thing.  As the phone was untouched from leaving to returning home, how does any one get info from it as to where you have been. I know the Police can trace them, but now I wonder - who else. It's a little disconcerting to be honest.

Angel1

Google Maps I assume??  

Yea it follows your movements via the phones GPS then asks you if you want to rate places you've been.

There's probably a function to turn it off somewhere in the settings.

Aye it has google maps, which I sometimes use in preference to the cars sat nav. But although the phone was turned on, the screen was blank as it was in stand by mode if you know what I mean. Who is doing the monitoring then, GOOGLE. It is a HUAWEI phone, it's not the Chinese I hope. 

Angel1.

Tried Bluetooth Proximity Advertising many years ago with (very) limited success.

Conclusion was that it would antagonise folk more than bring business in!

32 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Aye it has google maps, which I sometimes use in preference to the cars sat nav. But although the phone was turned on, the screen was blank as it was in stand by mode if you know what I mean. Who is doing the monitoring then, GOOGLE. It is a HUAWEI phone, it's not the Chinese I hope. 

Angel1.

Yea it logs your movements, it doesn't' need to be on and navigating.

You can see for yourself

Google maps is always running unless you disable the option of running in the background. You should check out your Google maps timeline. 

Re the title of the thread, my local pub is called Orwells(5 minute walk away)and yes it opened in 1984, :D

'if you're not paying for the product, you are the product'

You clicked "OK" to track my location on an app on your mobile device and now it is tracking your location? what the hell? I would sleep with both eyes wide open tonight just in case. :rolleyes:

'Just see what that message says on my phone, love.'

'Please rate your recent visit to the Happy Endings Sauna.'

'Er......'

On my Samsung (I'm assuming all phones with Google accounts do this too) it tracks absolutely everywhere, and not just my phone in particular, all the phones I have owned since having the account. If you go online (cant exactly remember the site, it's done through maps I believe, quick Google will solve that) you can see a map of every single place your phone(s) or any devices really have been. 

Mine shows obviously daily trips back and forth to work then random off shoots where I may have been out of the country or in another city all complete with dates etc.  It's quite incredible to see although I did get annoyed at the review notifications ''How was your visit to Tesco? Review your visit to help us yada yada yada'' so I turned them off. It seems the Google account is a powerful thing with many positives attached but there are going to be some who assume a sinister undertaking. From my laptop I can track my phone, wake it up or even set it on constant vibrate to find it - all through Google, not to mention the additional things we can do through the Find my phone apps etc.  

Often my phone will flash up a notification telling me certain apps have been 'detected using microphone' or 'detected using camera' when my phone has been locked and sat somewhere. In the agreements we all tick and never read they do often state these things in there amongst many other things you're allowing them to do with your device. 

Edited by Tomm06