Garage Room

I'm thinking of using part of my garage as a summer room, somewhere to use during the daytime, it won't  have heating etc, but maybe put a window in, do I  need planning permission?

I know of someone who changed their garage in to a proper room and they said they did not need planning permission 

I can’t see it being a problem as long as there is no intention for it to become a place of permanent residence (like a loft conversion into an attic)

A mate of mine turned his garage into a home cinema and didn’t need planning permission for that.

It's just an idea for maybe half the garage, other half being a workshop/shed etc. 

14 hours ago, pintor said:

I'm thinking of using part of my garage as a summer room, somewhere to use during the daytime, it won't  have heating etc, but maybe put a window in, do I  need planning permission?

Not planning permission but you need change of use permission.  My neighbour need it when they changed their garage in to another room. They only changed the garage door for a house door and window. It already had double skinned walls and electric. 

Speak to the council - when i changed my garage into an extension and made it into 3 three rooms i mad sure to comply with building regs but didn't planning permission.

When i looked to sell it a couple of years ago i rang the council to see if i had to retrospectively advise of anything and they advised that it didn't matter these days, neither did the conservatory that i had put up.

2 hours ago, willman said:

Speak to the council - when i changed my garage into an extension and made it into 3 three rooms i mad sure to comply with building regs but didn't planning permission.

When i looked to sell it a couple of years ago i rang the council to see if i had to retrospectively advise of anything and they advised that it didn't matter these days, neither did the conservatory that i had put up.

A conservatory is different to a garage conversion. 

pintor I agree with the advice to contact your council but there is a portal you can check with examples:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/

4 hours ago, Chez2 said:

Not planning permission but you need change of use permission.  My neighbour need it when they changed their garage in to another room. They only changed the garage door for a house door and window. It already had double skinned walls and electric. 

Absolutely right,   I did the conversion two years ago and needed change of use permission.   You can do it yourself and will take 60 pounds and tree weekds for the decision or get a technical help and pay about 150 plus 60 and three weeks.

Edited by MaxVinella

7 hours ago, Chez2 said:

A conservatory is different to a garage conversion. 

pintor I agree with the advice to contact your council but there is a portal you can check with examples:

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/permission/

Thank you

The idea was to have this area of the garage to use to sit in or a den like place, and have a door or window , not a permanent room but one that could be returned into garage use overnight

18 hours ago, pintor said:

The idea was to have this area of the garage to use to sit in or a den like place, and have a door or window , not a permanent room but one that could be returned into garage use overnight

If you are changing it then change of use applies. If you just sit in the garage then its still a garage. If you are keeping the large front doors, not adding insulation, no more lighting or electrics and not putting down any floor then just ask the council what they think to adding another door and window. They may wonder why, depending how your garage and house is positioned. 

58 minutes ago, Chez2 said:

then just ask the council what they think to adding another door and window. 

My garage has a side window and a big picture window overlooking the garden. 

I doubt whether the Council knows or cares about it. 

It is still a garage.