Volunteering With Older People?

Any suggestions for a good volunteer position?

We don't have family in Sheffield, and I would enjoy the chance to get to spend time with some older people in the area. Perhaps there are charities you know of who befriend older people, either for chats or maybe to help around the house. Or in group settings. Or maybe if not exactly this, you will think of something similar. 

I'm looking for a volunteer position with a charity, not just informally with someone in the neighbourhood.  I'm more comfortable knowing that there are safeguards in place.

One challenge is that I am still working full-time, and sometimes have to travel at short notice for work, so it would have to allow me to volunteer in the evenings, with a bit of flexibility for the schedule. Ideally, I'd like to find something that I could continue doing (and maybe even expand my participation in) once I retire in a few years.

Try SCCCC's.  They do so much for older people, befriending is one of their services.

Also, depending where you live there might be something focussing more locally - there's certainly one in Crosspool - it's called "Care in Crosspool" if my memory is correct, there may be others in different areasl

There is a charity that sets up offering afternoon tea type meetings on a monthly basis. I think these are usually Sundays. One set of people host, the other set of people pick up the same elderly friend they have been given and drive them to the persons house where they are having tea. You stay with them and join in the tea then take them home again. 

https://www.contact-the-elderly.org.uk/

Carers Trust might be worth looking at. Many carers are elderly people caring for someone of a similar age.  Some of them never, or rarely have a break from their responsibilities. Sitting with the disabled person for an hour or two enables the carer to go out and have some  free time.  Also, the disabled person would have someone different to chat to.  This would be really worthwhile because you would be giving much needed help to two people.