Re Chroming.

I'm after Re-Chroming a motorcycle wheel that has seen better days.

It'a not a steel Wheel...It' s Aluminium....!

The Chrome has long since gone.. I'd like to replace it.

Anyone in Sheff offers this service?

Cheers..

Personal choice I know, but polished aluminium wheels look way better than chromed wheels. 😀

6 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Personal choice I know, but polished aluminium wheels look way better than chromed wheels. 😀

Yes i agree...But the wheel is VERY pitted...How far do you have to go to get a Mirror finish>?

I can't add an image here... Crazy stuff.. 

I wish i could show you the image.

5 minutes ago, FinBak said:

Yes i agree...But the wheel is VERY pitted...How far do you have to go to get a Mirror finish>?

How deep is the deepest pit?

Just now, Top Cats Hat said:

How deep is the deepest pit?

It's not that bad...About 1mm...at most. But it makes the wheel look horrid.

I don'n mean to be abrupt...But can you help me with this...|Or are we just having a chit chat about Metalurgy..?|

It would have to be polished to a very high degree before being chrome plated anyway , so I would  just get it polished , but as TCH says , it is all down to personal preference.

ime no metallurgist but what i do know is, whatever you put chrome on it will show all the defects that are there before the chroming, you will have to have all the pits removed before chroming. if you want a good job doing that is. 

Many years ago when I worked for a bolt and nut manufacturer in Sheffield  , we used a couple of platers - John Street Platers  on Burton Street I think , and Firmachrome at Heeley . I don't know if either are still in business , I moved out of Sheffield many years ago.

I've had a few m/cycle parts chromed recently  at Mexboro (Prestige Electro-Plating), not all that far really from the north of Sheffield. They do lots of classic car parts too, I saw bumpers, hub caps etc. hung up.  Also Ashford Chroming.  Not sure about aluminium which I believe has to be copper anodized first, but you could give them a ring.

Edited by carosio

The platers in Mexborough is very popular and has an excellent reputation.

The waiting list is pretty big though from what I can remember and chrome plating isn't cheap.