Leppings Lane Closure

4 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Here is how Stagecoach bus services will be impacted: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/service-updates/serviceupdatesarticle?SituationId=ID-29/08/2019-13:39:16:103

Normal service on the trams.

No information from First bus, but presume it will be similar to Stagecoach.

This has been enforced on the club for safety reasons following some serious concerns from the authorities. It is a pretty normal thing to do to be fair, Bramall Lane has had closures after football matches whilst crowds clear for a few years now.

But this is a direct result of there being no exit to Leppings lane for home fans leaving the North and South stands. The issue on Penistone road didn't exist before then

7 minutes ago, redbig said:

But this is a direct result of there being no exit to Leppings lane for home fans leaving the North and South stands. The issue on Penistone road didn't exist before then

True, all still needs addressing though!

1. At what times will Penistone road be shut?

2. Where exactly will it be shut to traffic?

3. Where will traffic normally using penistone Road be diverted?

4. Where will traffic to and from Middlewood Road direction go if they are heading in or out of town assuming the tram gates remain closed and they can not go down Catchbar lane

2 hours ago, amnicoll said:

1. At what times will Penistone road be shut?

2. Where exactly will it be shut to traffic?

3. Where will traffic normally using penistone Road be diverted?

4. Where will traffic to and from Middlewood Road direction go if they are heading in or out of town assuming the tram gates remain closed and they can not go down Catchbar lane

I’ve no idea about how the traffic/ public transport will be managed, but Wednesday have this on Twitter:

https://mobile.twitter.com/swfc/status/1167451553567035392

Will the Herries Road South/ Penistone Road traffic lights be turned off?

8 hours ago, Andy C said:

True, all still needs addressing though!

It needs reversing. Absolutely ridiculous and not caused by SWFC. We've got a prohibition order limiting our capacity, all because there was a bit of shenanigans after the Sheffield derby that the police dealt with very badly. 

Well, I know where I'll be avoiding in the taxi tomorrow!

8 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

Well, I know where I'll be avoiding in the taxi tomorrow!

Taxi please to eksdale road at 3.30 today 😂😂

17 hours ago, redbig said:

It needs reversing. Absolutely ridiculous and not caused by SWFC. We've got a prohibition order limiting our capacity, all because there was a bit of shenanigans after the Sheffield derby that the police dealt with very badly. 

I will keep my comments pretty general as I'm not clued up enough about the situation at Hillsborough and quite frankly can't be arsed to read up on it in any detail.

However any event organiser or venue manager - be it football, concert, festival, theatre, funfair or whatever - are expected to organise their event and run their venue is a responsible and safe manner, including controlling crowds both within and exiting plus of course exist within the wider community.

Clearly the council and the Police aren't satisfied that the management at Hillborough have done so.

Remember now also that football clubs are refusing to pay for policing outside the ground so the police resource managing fans travelling to/from the game or drinking in pubs nearby is much tighter, therefore I guess there is a much stronger expectation that the club and its stewards will do more to manage fans exiting the stadium themselves rather than leave the police to deal with the problems caused. Ultimately, those football fans fighting in the street wouldn't be there if there wasn't a football match on.

Edited by Andy C

I wish that I had read all this before Saturday afternoon.

Returning home to Walkley from Barnsley,I thought that I had time to call at Sainsbury’s at Wadsley Bridge.

On exiting Claywheels Lane I foundPenistone Road was closed but theRH turn to Leppings Lane was available.

Having turned right I then found the  road was in fact closed.

I had already seen the stationary traffic heading left towards Herries Road so I elected to meander home via Grenoside,Oughtibridge ,Loxley Road etc.

A no right turn off Claywheels or a left only sign at the bottom of Halifax Road would have been useful.

Seemed chaotic to me.

On 31/08/2019 at 16:36, Andy C said:

I will keep my comments pretty general as I'm not clued up enough about the situation at Hillsborough and quite frankly can't be arsed to read up on it in any detail.

However any event organiser or venue manager - be it football, concert, festival, theatre, funfair or whatever - are expected to organise their event and run their venue is a responsible and safe manner, including controlling crowds both within and exiting plus of course exist within the wider community.

Clearly the council and the Police aren't satisfied that the management at Hillborough have done so.

Remember now also that football clubs are refusing to pay for policing outside the ground so the police resource managing fans travelling to/from the game or drinking in pubs nearby is much tighter, therefore I guess there is a much stronger expectation that the club and its stewards will do more to manage fans exiting the stadium themselves rather than leave the police to deal with the problems caused. Ultimately, those football fans fighting in the street wouldn't be there if there wasn't a football match on.

It's been safe for decades, but overnight it's not, and the solution is to restrict ticket sales, stop thousands from exiting Leppings lane, and shut a major road (Penistone).

Kind of like cracking a nut with a sledgehammer

Yesterday there were approx 200 away fans, surely hold them back for 10 minutes. Seems obvious

In the past, we used to get held behind at away matches for 10 mins or so. Is this now not legal for human rights reasons?

(this had its flaws of course - however, surely would solve the Leppings Lane mingling 'problem')

-

It's difficult to know who to blame I think.

The police always end up with the blame for things, so they probably have to advise over the top safety measures, and the SCC won't take any risks either. This definitely needs sorting though. This can't happen every home game. There's no way around it.

One could argue that Bramall Lane is closed before and after the match, but there are loads of other roads options, where as Penistone Road is an arterial route, and closing the inside lane (as bad as that makes things) at least keeps the route open.