Leppings Lane Closure

i was was surprised this Saturday To find that Leppings Lane was closed to traffic at 15.30 when I would have expected it to have been open

I am used to the disruption caused by the football and if I remember I try to avoid the period before kick off and then around the final whistle and I can see why they would want to perhaps close the road at these busy times but I do not recall the road being closed whilst the match is underway before.

Why was it closed ? Certainly not due to lack of staff to move the barriers as there were at least 3 guys in orange jackets chatting next to the barrier at the Sainsburys end

is this the new norm are we going to have to put up with this every match day

just another way to annoy motorists, increase pollution?

Still closed now at 4.10 pm. and yes it was always open whilst the match was underway only shut at beginning and end. I think it has been closed all through the game. Major disruption to traffic and buses.

Generally closed throughout match for derby's has also been when a team called Millwall are playing,  perhaps part of Millhouses  😉. 

Unfortunately you have syp to blame for some absurd order placed on the club due to them being heavy handed with fans

5 hours ago, amnicoll said:

i was was surprised this Saturday To find that Leppings Lane was closed to traffic at 15.30 when I would have expected it to have been open

I am used to the disruption caused by the football and if I remember I try to avoid the period before kick off and then around the final whistle and I can see why they would want to perhaps close the road at these busy times but I do not recall the road being closed whilst the match is underway before.

Why was it closed ? Certainly not due to lack of staff to move the barriers as there were at least 3 guys in orange jackets chatting next to the barrier at the Sainsburys end

is this the new norm are we going to have to put up with this every match day

just another way to annoy motorists, increase pollution?

The holy grail takes precedence  over any and everything. 

Angel1.

Sorry but I struggle to understand that statement, you are saying  syp have placed an order on SWFC to close leppings lane to other vehicle traffic whilst derby matches are on because they (swfc or syp?) are being heavy handed  with fans?

If its syp then surely a stream of vehicles (especially a few hgv's ) would be beneficial if there was fans without tickets  amassing on leppings lane after kick off , a good time for a spot of unseasonal snow ploughing perhaps.

Surely SWFC cannot shut leppings lane it takes authorisation from the local council, obviously the sensitive nature of football hooliganism gives the police special powers but it is not an emergency action but a pre planned council authorised action - if not it would be illegal.?  I would genuinely love to know the true facts of the reasoning for the closure throughout the match.

I have to say you don't see police officers on the lepping lane closures just yellow jacketed guys that, well stop more women going home with there shopping than groups of males whom look some what intimidating  (don't blame them to be honest, they won't  be  getting paid enough to be receiving  a bit of abh),  perhaps the ground has been granted controlling powers over Leppings lane, not informed locals but that's nothing new.

Several roads around Bramall Lane are closed for large chunks of match day too

Mostly it is a police decision, however their rationale is a bit confusing.

For example, Leppings Lane was closed for hours today, despite only accommodating  2 500 fans. Penistone Road wasn’t closed at all, whilst accommodating 22 000 fans.

SYP need a rocket for their behaviour. This has all come about because Wednesday and United fans both complained about the policing of the last derby match.

It wasn't a derby match yesterday either.

I have all the home fixtures in my diary so I know when to either not go out of the house at all, or be away from the area all day (unless I end up working on a match day!)

If they're going to be closing the road for the whole of the match there needs to be advanced warning!

57 minutes ago, Becky B said:

It wasn't a derby match yesterday either.

I have all the home fixtures in my diary so I know when to either not go out of the house at all, or be away from the area all day (unless I end up working on a match day!)

If they're going to be closing the road for the whole of the match there needs to be advanced warning!

they simply do not care about residents

14 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

they simply do not care about residents

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you choose to live near a sport venue you should expect disruption every now and then 

Some disruption yes but unnecessary and not communicated disruption NO

I do not live that close but depending on where I am coming from need to use Leppings Lane or go  down and back up Penistone Road. yes I expect some disruption and this is why I time carefully when I go out or return on Match days

5 hours ago, rudds1 said:

Sorry if this sounds harsh but if you choose to live near a sport venue you should expect disruption every now and then 

Yes, which is why I said I have all the home fixtures in my diary so I can plan round them. 

If, however, they are going to change the procedure on match days, they need to make it clear to road users (whether they live near the ground or not) - my job involves driving around Sheffield, in that situation living near the ground is incidental.

For example, when there are events like the half marathon with road closures, we are warned well in advance and staff can plan their diaries accordingly...