'Awards' For Ridiculous Packaging!

Mini Babybel cheeses must take some beating as regards excessive packaging!

Individually enclosed in a red skin, then wrapped in coloured cellophane, and if that wasn't enough, enclosed in red plastic netting!

Usually, fancy-wrapped food means expensive, and I believe it is at £8.33/kg (special reduction offer at Morrisons).

I'll see your babybel and raise you a box of Tassimo pods. First we have the pods themselves unrecyclable plastic topped off with foil, stacked in a cardboard box, wrapped in thick unrecyclable plastic. 

I took a picture of a package that covered the entirity of a double bed but only contained a slim, and packaged, box. Just mental.

As an aside.....

If a company has a turnover over £2m and handles over 50t of packaging in a year they have to register and pay for a percentage of the packaging **** they inflict on the market.

A public register of all packaging producers is available online.

If you suspect some company is putting packaging on the market and isn't registered..then contact The Environment Agency.

tesco wrap cucumbers in  tight plastic.

11 minutes ago, taxman said:

I took a picture of a package that covered the entirity of a double bed but only contained a slim, and packaged, box. Just mental.

As an aside.....

If a company has a turnover over £2m and handles over 50t of packaging in a year they have to register and pay for a percentage of the packaging **** they inflict on the market.

A public register of all packaging producers is available online.

If you suspect some company is putting packaging on the market and isn't registered..then contact The Environment Agency.

That I did not know. 

2 minutes ago, davyboy said:

I think they all do.

At the moment, manufacturers of packaging have to pay 10% of the net costs of disposal or recycling of packaging they place on the market. 

When environment secretary, Michael Gove increased that so it will be 100%. That should reduce ridiculous packaging. 

https://waste-management-world.com/a/manufacturers-to-pay-full-cost-for-recycling-uk-packaging

24 minutes ago, davyboy said:

There's a reason for that though; it prolongs the life of the product.

1 hour ago, davyboy said:

A lot of supermarkets do that over here but only with English cucumbers, the local Ontario( seeded) type are never plastic wrapped ???

Edited by Ontarian1981

A lot of online service company's go overboard with their packaging. I bought a tie, matching hanky and cufflinks in time for my daughter's wedding a month ago. You should have seen the box they came in, big enough to ship a kids tricycle in. The purchased item it self was already in a hard gift box about 10''by 5"by just over an inch and a half thick, then tons of bubble wrap balloons and all in this massive box. Honestly they could have put it in a padded envelope and it would have fitted my secure mailbox, but no, as I wasn't home, I had to trek over a mile to the post office to pick it up. :loopy:

Edited by Ontarian1981

My bugbear is bananas wrapped in a polythene bag -  as if nature's packaging of a skin isn't enough!

M&S sausage rolls (twin-pack) used to just come together in a plastic wrapper.  Now they sit on a plastic tray, inside a plastic wrapper.

A small increase but completely unnecessary.