Pharmacist refuses to dispense contraceptive pills

If a pharmacist can refuse to dispense certain medication, then a pharmacy should also be allowed to refuse to employ them, or dismiss them if they did’t declare this at the time of their appointment.

1 hour ago, Waj said:

With all due respect I think this story is made up.

Why would you think that ?

1 hour ago, Waj said:

With all due respect I think this story is made up.

What is respectful about your post? You are accusing the OP of lying.  This problem with pharmacies has been documented before, educate yourself.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

If a pharmacist can refuse to dispense certain medication, then a pharmacy should also be allowed to refuse to employ them, or dismiss them if they did’t declare this at the time of their appointment.

It’s not often we agree, but I do on this one.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I'll go with that!

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Quite simply the most common sense post on this thread.

2 hours ago, Hogg said:

What is respectful about your post? You are accusing the OP of lying.  This problem with pharmacies has been documented before, educate yourself.

It's his normal M.O. I'm afraid . Jump into a thread without  reading it thoroughly , or researching the story , post nonsense and when called out resort to rudeness , wild accusations or say it was a slip of the keyboard.  Calling the O.P. a liar is a new low though.

5 hours ago, jonnyhonda said:

Why would you think that ?

It just sounds like its made up thats all.

58 minutes ago, Waj said:

It just sounds like its made up thats all.

Indeed.

Even if it is true I think it's the least of the OP's worries.

There is no mention in that email about the therapeutic use of the contraceptive pill. It is not always prescribed for birth control.   Conditions such as menorrhagia, irregular menstruation, endometriosis are frequently treated with this medication.  Assuming that the pharmacist only objects to the contraceptive function of the drug, he or she presumably has no right to refuse dispensing it when lawfully prescribed as treatment for a medical condition. Unless the pharmacist has access to the patient's medical records they cannot know why it is being prescribed so they should at least ask the patient before refusing to dispense it.   

Edited by Jomie

56 minutes ago, Jomie said:

There is no mention in that email about the therapeutic use of the contraceptive pill. It is not always prescribed for birth control.   Conditions such as menorrhagia, irregular menstruation, endometriosis are frequently treated with this medication.  Assuming that the pharmacist only objects to the contraceptive function of the drug, he or she presumably has no right to refuse dispensing it when lawfully prescribed as treatment for a medical condition. Unless the pharmacist has access to the patient's medical records they cannot know why it is being prescribed so they should at least ask the patient before refusing to dispense it.   

Another good post and you are right.  I know someone who was prescribed it for painful periods, it was a few years ago.

On 11/08/2019 at 01:24, Top Cats Hat said:

Is it?

Who is discriminating against who?

It's denying treatment based on the prejudices of a CHOSEN religion.