Pharmacist refuses to dispense contraceptive pills

what in my mind is completely unacceptable is that you had to wait 30 minutes to be told this and that Lloyds though that this was acceptable

3 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

what in my mind is completely unacceptable is that you had to wait 30 minutes to be told this and that Lloyds though that this was acceptable

Yes, that, and the fact that Lloyds HQ seem to be condoning this behaviour and aren't going to do anything about it?

4 minutes ago, amnicoll said:

My understanding of the regulations is that a pharmacy has to ensure that there is another member of staff available to fill the script in these cases.

And the point made earlier about other uses of these medications is a very valid one. Maybe it is time to organise a system of complaints to the offending pharmacist’s governing body about individual’s practicing this discrimination. I assume that to get away with this, they have to demonstrate that the use of the medication goes against their religious beliefs. To do this they need to know why the medication was prescribed. They can only know this by having access to confidential patient records so either they are breaking pharmacy rules or patient confidentiality rules. Catch-22 as Yossarian was told by the doctor.

We need to get a campaign together to challenge every case like this, thus forcing the pharmacist concerned to justify their decision to withhold medication but do so without having access to a patient’s records. As there are very few ‘single application’ drugs, these people may find it virtually impossible to justify this breach of their terms of employment.

Lloyds are not alone in bad service among the pharmacies,  +Well took over my local pharmacy and the service has deteriorated rapidly so much so that even though it is the most convenient and easiest one to use I have taken my business elsewhere and I know i am not the only one

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Yes, that, and the fact that Lloyds HQ seem to be condoning this behaviour and aren't going to do anything about it?

Same here last month:

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2019/06/18/woman-refused-morning-after-pill-shed-paid-for-because-of-pharmacists-personal-reasons/

11 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

An interesting point made in that article is that this discrimination disproportionately affects female customers, so Lloyds ought to be worried about a successful discrimination case being taken against them.

Interesting that all these cases seem to involve Lloyds. A coincidence, or do other pharmacies refuse to employ pharmacists who won’t do their job?

It might be something to do with the The Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003.

16 minutes ago, carosio said:

It might be something to do with the The Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003.

A legal mine field!

A pharmacist sacked for refusing to dispense medication is not being sacked for holding religious views, they are being sacked for not carrying out the duties expected of them.

Also does that legislation protect me from dismissal if I decide that I want to take every Tuesday off to pray?

4 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

A legal mine field!

A pharmacist sacked for refusing to dispense medication is not being sacked for holding religious views, they are being sacked for not carrying out the duties expected of them.

Also does that legislation protect me from dismissal if I decide that I want to take every Tuesday off to pray?

I can't quote provisions from the act, I'm no lawyer. but what I'm suggesting is that it might impede an employer's ability to refuse an applicant on the grounds of their religious beliefs, if those beliefs aren't considered tenable for the job in question.

On 11/08/2019 at 15:29, Waj said:

With all due respect I think this story is made up.

Isn’t it supposed to say with all due respect I think this is made up because .......

Just now, firthpark said:

Isn’t it supposed to say with all due respect I think this is made up because .......

Yes, you're right.

With all due respect I think this is made up because it sounds made up.

If you really wanted you could ring Lloyd’s firthpark and ask I’m sure they’ll explain the law and there policy and there’s a good chance she will answer the phone to explain her views but remember she done nothing wrong