Pharmacist refuses to dispense contraceptive pills

As anyone experienced anything like this my wife went to the Lloyd’s pharmacy at firthpark to pick my daughters contraceptive pill up she waited 30 mins the pharmacist came out said could she have a word in side room and told her she couldn’t give the prescription because it was against her religious beliefs and recommended another pharmacy near by .Lloyd’s says it’s fine with this but me I think it’s wrong .

It's the same with MAP (morning after pill) refusing to prescribe on religious grounds.

No one checked the circumstances of the need for MAP just refused it.

I would not set foot in that pharmacy ever again .... and neither should that pharmacist.

Religious beliefs should not interfere with the job she is paid to do.   Her job is to dispense what the doctor has prescribed and she's not doing that. In my mind if she won't do what she is paid to do, she should be fired.

To me she’s just stirring up hatred peoples views or beliefs should not be imposed on another especially someone just going about there normal business 

43 minutes ago, firthpark said:

As anyone experienced anything like this my wife went to the Lloyd’s pharmacy at firthpark to pick my daughters contraceptive pill up she waited 30 mins the pharmacist came out said could she have a word in side room and told her she couldn’t give the prescription because it was against her religious beliefs and recommended another pharmacy near by .Lloyd’s says it’s fine with this but me I think it’s wrong .

What a thoroughly modern family!

And I think this incident is fake news.

Edited by lil-minx92

25 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

That was my initial thought.

How bizarre!

From 2010:

A woman was recently refused the contraceptive pill by a pharmacist at a branch of Lloyds in Sheffield because it went against her religious beliefs. 

Janine Deeley, 38, was told to return the next day when another member of staff could serve her. 

The pharmacy chain has now begun an investigation into the incident and apologised for any "distress" caused.

The same pharmacy or an old story rehashed?

Edited by Top Cats Hat

Totally wrong of her. If she was a nurse, would she refuse to treat someone who had a termination and was bleeding to death? Needs sorting - she is being paid good money to do a job.  

I’ve took my name off but it’s my email I’ve put the thread up just to let people know of our experience not to be accused of fake news or start arguing what you mean whats a modern family and yes the easiest thing to do is don’t use that pharmacy.

CSO38823/LH/0262

08 August 2019

PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL

Mr 

Email sent to: firthpark@aol.com

Dear 

Further to your email of the 06 August 2019 regarding the concerns you have raised about our pharmacy at 428-430 Firth Park Road, Sheffield.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and sincerely apologise for any upset and inconvenience that may have been caused.

Our priority is always the health and wellbeing of our patients. We adhere to the General Pharmaceutical Council guidelines which allow Pharmacists to refuse to dispense medication that goes against their personal beliefs. However, we make sure our Pharmacists are aware that this should only ever happen if there is adequate alternative care available for the patient. As part of our own guidance, we encourage our Pharmacists to use their professional judgement, but they must always put the patient first. 

If a Pharmacist refuses to dispense a particular product, they should make the relevant arrangements to ensure a patient can obtain the product from an alternative pharmacy.

It is always our aim to provide a professional, courteous and efficient service to all of our patients and I would once again like to apologise that this was not your Wife’s experience on this occasion.

Yours sincerely

Rajinder Dhillon MRPharmS

Professional Standards Pharmacist>

Pharmacy Superintendent’s Office

3 hours ago, Stranza said:

It's the same with MAP (morning after pill) refusing to prescribe on religious grounds.

No one checked the circumstances of the need for MAP just refused it.

I gave up the Catholic Church because they don’t believe in the birth control pill but I did.

This has been going on for years.  My personal opinion is that if a pharmacist refuses to dispense something if it is against their beliefs then then they should not be doing the job or the pharmacy should at all times have someone else available to dispense these items.  If you have chosen that career then you should be prepared to put your beliefs to one side.  As long as you practice what you believe in during your own personal life then I can't see a problem.  There are lots of things in life that many of us dont agree with but when you are providing  a service to the public you have to keep your own views to yourself. For me its similar to when Jehovah's Witnesses  come knocking on my door.  I politely tell them that I dont agree with what they believe and ask them not to call again.  I dont have a problem with what they believe as long as they keep it to themselves and dont try recruiting me.

4 hours ago, lil-minx92 said:

Surprise surprise