Should Forums Remove Dehumanising Posts?

Slightly off topic but I watched the first part of the film about Jade Goody on the television the other day. The immediate response to her appearance on Big Brother was to demonise her as being from some kind of dangerous underclass.

As it turned out, she was revealed as a much more nuanced character that the nation eventually took to their hearts.

Be careful who you shout ‘Pig’, ‘Rat’ or ‘Chav’ at, as you may end up looking very foolish.

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

By vigorously challenging it whenever it presents itself.

A thankless and sysyphean task if evere there was one.

But how do you challenge it effectively, when it presents itself daily on a broadsheet front page seen by millions, however?

By the evidence of the fractured British society of today, you  can't. 

Just now, L00b said:

A thankless and sysyphean task if evere there was one.

But how do you challenge it effectively, when it presents itself daily on a broadsheet front page seen by millions, however?

By the evidence of the fractured British society of today, you  can't. 

I wish I knew the answer. Maybe things have to get worse before they get better.

11 minutes ago, L00b said:

A thankless task but one which still must be continued.

I used to go to the football with a guy whose wife was Asian yet he would still join in with the racist chants, not because he was a racist but because it was easier than challenging it.

As Pastor Niemöller said......

Guest makapaka
26 minutes ago, Halibut said:

I wish I knew the answer. Maybe things have to get worse before they get better.

I would just focus on not using it yourself - that would be a start.

13 hours ago, Halibut said:

Sounds a bit like the brexit argument.

16 hours ago, Eater Sundae said:

Once they’ve been dehumanised, it becomes emotionally much easier to deny them human rights

What about people who have committed no crimes being described using such words? vermin remainers for example.

That is a problem.

Even people who have committed crimes being described using such words is a problem. It’s disgusting.

Please dont make this personal.

Discuss the topic, not each other/other posters.

Thank  you.

They are just words. Some people feel more powerful when they use them,

well I do when I see drunken men having a pee in Newcastle City Centre, when families are out shopping, on a Saturday afternoon.  I’ve shouted the word animal at them the odd time. 

Thankfully it doesn’t happen very often since the pee busters, men who pull up in a van when the culprit has been caught on security camera are given a brush and disinfectant and told to clean the area.

I think it depends. 

I can think of a couple of examples (such as the grooming gangs that preyed on children then raped and tortured them), where the perpetrators and their actions are so vile, that I see no problem in describing them in dehumanising terms. So no, in that instance forums shouldn't remove those posts.

"However, when the line is crossed from being funny to abusive, we do have to make sure we are responsible and remind people to be careful about what they write on social media."

I'd like the police to clarify where is the crossing between funny and abusive.