'We Need City Blueprint': Planning Councillor Criticises Leaders For Delay

Having moved into Sheffield from Dronfield (where the North East Derbyshire local plan has generated a great deal of controversy) last year I fully expect this to become a major issue in  Sheffield local politics.  

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/we-need-city-blueprint-planning-councillor-criticises-leaders-for-delay-on-local-plan-488896?fbclid=IwAR2E_N2Wn-ip4GP1DTcI5dVsiq7gePlRvyLCL9TsDU-BoY7P7hjkl5FniVU

Councillor Bob McCann spoke about the delays to the blueprint at a recent planning and highways meeting.

He said: “It really matters, it’s not just about the housing it’s about the whole infrastructure. It’s about time this local area plan was published, at least for consultation if nothing else.

“I remember it being mentioned when I was last on the council in 2014/15. It was actually being mentioned in planning terms then and it’s not here yet. It’s supposed to be a 20-year plan but if you’re going to take 20 years to produce it it’s going to be out of date by the time you get it finished. Developers are coming up with plans that don’t really fit anything the city wants. I’m not saying they are all bad plans but there doesn’t seem to be any control over it.

Sheffield Council said it would publish a draft last year but as yet this has not materialised. It now aims to issue the document by the end of this year. The plan will determine what can and cannot be developed in each part of the city up to 2034.

Probably better without it! Planners just throw grit into the cogs of development and create ghettos.

As far as I know we had 2 city centre blue prints back in the 1990's.  I remember them dropping through the letterbox. 

All I can remember of them was that mosr of the city centre was to be pedestrianised but it all went a bit pear-shaped with  Sevenstones. 

On 09/08/2019 at 11:50, lil-minx92 said:

Probably better without it! Planners just throw grit into the cogs of development and create ghettos.

Central government may have ordered Sheffield City Council to build x many new houses. That's certainly the situation North East Derbyshire council found themselves in. Complete with local conservatives leading the charge against what Conservatives in Westminster had ordered North East Derbyshire council to do!