Sheffield Traffic (Mis)Management

It appears the powers that be have been playing with the traffic signal timings again (or they've brought their children to work since the holidays have started and let them loose!)

Anyway at about 7-15am I travel to work along Penistone Rd into town and although it could be busy it's now stupid at the junction with Albert Terrace Road and Rutland Rd. Traffic used to be halted on Penistone Rd at Albert terrace Rd leaving traffic coming out of Albert Terrace Rd and turning right a free run up to the red light at Rutland Rd before changing to green and allowing traffic to proceed and it all worked pretty well.  What happens now is Rutland Rd changes to red and allows traffic on Penistone Rd to back up to Albert Terrace Rd before the lights there on Penistone Rd change to red and Albert Terrace Rd gets a green.  Traffic from Albert Terrace can't then get across without stopping in the yellow box junction and causes a backlog on Penistone Rd and plenty of frayed tempers.

On my way home at around 4pm I also travel down Parkway and onto Derek Dooley Way where they've been playing with the lights at the Wicker as well causing traffic to back up to Parkway where it used to be generally clear.  

Anyway moan over :)

I am convinced that those who design road systems, white line markings, signage etc., are not themselves motorists.

all part of the plan to discourage car usage  and of course with the added side effect of increase pollution

1 hour ago, smithy266 said:

I am convinced that those who design road systems, white line markings, signage etc., are not themselves motorists.

You'd be wrong on that theory.

17 hours ago, Lancs_Lad said:

It appears the powers that be have been playing with the traffic signal timings again (or they've brought their children to work since the holidays have started and let them loose!)

Anyway at about 7-15am I travel to work along Penistone Rd into town and although it could be busy it's now stupid at the junction with Albert Terrace Road and Rutland Rd. Traffic used to be halted on Penistone Rd at Albert terrace Rd leaving traffic coming out of Albert Terrace Rd and turning right a free run up to the red light at Rutland Rd before changing to green and allowing traffic to proceed and it all worked pretty well.  What happens now is Rutland Rd changes to red and allows traffic on Penistone Rd to back up to Albert Terrace Rd before the lights there on Penistone Rd change to red and Albert Terrace Rd gets a green.  Traffic from Albert Terrace can't then get across without stopping in the yellow box junction and causes a backlog on Penistone Rd and plenty of frayed tempers.

On my way home at around 4pm I also travel down Parkway and onto Derek Dooley Way where they've been playing with the lights at the Wicker as well causing traffic to back up to Parkway where it used to be generally clear.  

Anyway moan over :)

Instead of moaning on here, you could of course have contacted the Council and asked them what has changed and why.

If you had done, you'd have been advised that the Penistone Rd / Albert Terrace issue is that the communications between that junction signal controller and the urban traffic control computer are going offline intermittently, which means the timing plans aren't always the optimal ones the junction normally runs. The communications supplier is trying to sort it out.

On the Wicker, nothing has changed in terms of signals, but traffic is re-routing because of the closure of Castlegate, and this, combined with Roadworks at Bridgehouses means extra congestion in the area 

Edited by Planner1

Do you know how long it will take for a reply - I complained about signs diverting traffic onto a closed road and it took them three days to remove the sign even though there were workmen on site

Just now, amnicoll said:

Do you know how long it will take for a reply - I complained about signs diverting traffic onto a closed road and it took them three days to remove the sign even though there were workmen on site

Took a few minutes for me to get a reply, but I know the  right people to ask and don't need to go through the call centre. If people on here ask me, I can often put them in touch with the right people directly.

Re incorrect signing, if it was contractors, they might well have been told to correct it very quickly, but perhaps didn't do so immediately. SCC, like most Councils have limited resources, so they have to prioritise their efforts. 

44 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Took a few minutes for me to get a reply, but I know the  right people to ask and don't need to go through the call centre. If people on here ask me, I can often put them in touch with the right people directly.

Re incorrect signing, if it was contractors, they might well have been told to correct it very quickly, but perhaps didn't do so immediately. SCC, like most Councils have limited resources, so they have to prioritise their efforts. 

Love it "not our fault" lets blame the contractor who will of course if you raise it with them will say the council never told us - mind you given it was so blindingly obvious you might have though that if the contractors could read they might have taken down the diversion arrow sign pointing traffic in the direction of the closed road even if it would have been harder to alter the other sign saying the road ahead was closed when in reality it was the road on the right

i wonder just how many council employees drove past this every day and ignored it

Not be long before the extra set of lights on the Shalesmoor bound carriageway are operating.... how many sets of lights from the bottom of the Parkway to Shalesmoor.... 13 !

I still can't work out what that new set of lights are actually going to do - anybody care to enlighten me?

Edit: don't just say go green, amber and red.

Edited by metalman

as far as I can tell they are getting rid of the right turn to Nursery Street going towards the Parkway, the lights further down are going to facilitate a u-turn to then turn left down Nursery Street

pretty annoying as I live down there and both ends of Nursery Street are being changed to make it more difficult to get down there

I really don't get it at all.... adding yet another and albeit awkward turning with lights included. They won't be taking the Nursery Street lights out as traffic still has to come up Nursery Street to join Derek Dooley Way.
Utterly ridiculous.... will the buses be making a u-turn there ?