Hard To Get A Job

Do you think the older you get, the harder it is to get a job.

I've worked in Admin/Customer Service in for almost 30 years, mostly temporary roles.

But when I apply for any permanent posts that come up, they always go to young females from outside the company.

I'm not saying in anyway they didn't get it on merit. But I'm sure it's not always the case.

Don't know if you have a driving license, but First are looking for drivers ?

No I'm not a driver, but would like the same sort of role I'm in now. But thanks anyway.

40 minutes ago, Orangepip said:

Do you think the older you get, the harder it is to get a job.

I've worked in Admin/Customer Service in for almost 30 years, mostly temporary roles.

But when I apply for any permanent posts that come up, they always go to young females from outside the company.

I'm not saying in anyway they didn't get it on merit. But I'm sure it's not always the case.

Could it be they get the position as they could.  Potentially Offer the employer more years of service than what you could offer due to your age etc 

myself and lots of others have been advertising all over sheffield, job sites, here, shop windows, for carer's, maybe drivers, but we get very very few replies. I know the caring profession has a bad image problem now, many can't afford a car, etc,but some of us pay 9/10 pounds an hour.

Edited by gamezone07

1 hour ago, rudds1 said:

Could it be they get the position as they could.  Potentially Offer the employer more years of service than what you could offer due to your age etc 

you are probably right

48 minutes ago, gamezone07 said:

myself and lots of others have been advertising all over sheffield, job sites, here, shop windows, for carer's, maybe drivers, but we get very very few replies. I know the caring profession has a bad image problem now, many can't afford a car, etc,but some of us pay 9/10 pounds an hour.

I've had experience as a carer in Mental Health, and Palliative  care, but as a non driver, the care services I have seen only want drivers.

I would  say experience is  a big asset.  I suppose it has to be in  the same area of expertise as the vacancy. 

Experience often comes with age.

15 minutes ago, Janus said:

I would  say experience is  a big asset.  I suppose it has to be in  the same area of expertise as the vacancy. 

Experience often comes with age.

Usually experience comes with a higher salary, and not all firms are willing to pay for that (just want cheap young people). So they may worry you will leave at the first sight of a better offer.