Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

I live in a 1900 or so terraced in a Walkley and am finding conflicting advice on google.

 

Some experts say only lime mortar can be used on such an old house, whilst many builders seem to use a sand,line and cement mix.  What have others had builders use for repointing and what do builders on here advise? I am mainly worried that bricks may blow and/or internal dampness may ensue if the wrong approach is taken I think.

 

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sand and Cement is all that is needed to re-point.

 

Nothing more Nothing less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FinBak said:

Sand and Cement is all that is needed to re-point.

 

Nothing more Nothing less.

Yep 4to 1 sand and cement and wet the area first to be  repointed a must

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sand and cement is easier/cheaper which is why builders recommend it.  It wont last as long as lime mortar- cracking and falling out especially if not done properly. I would listen to expert's advice rather than builders advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 09/08/2019 at 11:57, lil-minx92 said:

Sand and cement is easier/cheaper which is why builders recommend it.  It wont last as long as lime mortar- cracking and falling out especially if not done properly. I would listen to expert's advice rather than builders advice.

Builder's BUILD things for a Living. (Think about that?)

 

Lime Mortar is no more expensive than regular Sand and Cement. 

 

Lime Mortar is NOT required for Re-Pointing and there is no proof that Lime Mortar lasts longer than regular sand and cement.

 

On the contrary..Lime mortar is not as strong as a firm mix of sand and cement. (Sand 60% 40% Cement).

 

With Additives (that were not available in past times) to ensure a good and secure bond that will outlive the whole house.!

Edited by FinBak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, spider1 said:

Really

Some people Ehh..:hihi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/types-of-damp-what-have-i-got/damp-problems-caused-by-cement-pointing-of-brick-or-stone.html

 

when I was re pointing the base of our bay window which is stone (victorian stone front terrace not far from Walkley in Crookesmoor). Perhaps I was taken for a ride but I bought some 'heritage' lime mortar given it was only a small area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, iwbsheff said:

I read this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/types-of-damp-what-have-i-got/damp-problems-caused-by-cement-pointing-of-brick-or-stone.html

 

when I was re pointing the base of our bay window which is stone (victorian stone front terrace not far from Walkley in Crookesmoor). Perhaps I was taken for a ride but I bought some 'heritage' lime mortar given it was only a small area. 

Stone ....and ...solid brick ...eg 9” brickwork 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Stone ....and ...solid brick ...eg 9” brickwork "

 

I thought it was stone faced (and I guess the actual wall is...at least I hope it is!) but when we had the plaster off inside the base of the bay window turned out to be solid stone blocks.  

 

Don't see what difference it makes though. What's your point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.