Advice On Repointing

Hi

I live in a 1900 or so terraced in a Walkley and am finding conflicting advice on google.

Some experts say only lime mortar can be used on such an old house, whilst many builders seem to use a sand,line and cement mix.  What have others had builders use for repointing and what do builders on here advise? I am mainly worried that bricks may blow and/or internal dampness may ensue if the wrong approach is taken I think.

N

Sand and Cement is all that is needed to re-point.

Nothing more Nothing less.

22 hours ago, FinBak said:

Sand and Cement is all that is needed to re-point.

Nothing more Nothing less.

Yep 4to 1 sand and cement and wet the area first to be  repointed a must

Sand and cement is easier/cheaper which is why builders recommend it.  It wont last as long as lime mortar- cracking and falling out especially if not done properly. I would listen to expert's advice rather than builders advice.

On 09/08/2019 at 11:57, lil-minx92 said:

Sand and cement is easier/cheaper which is why builders recommend it.  It wont last as long as lime mortar- cracking and falling out especially if not done properly. I would listen to expert's advice rather than builders advice.

Builder's BUILD things for a Living. (Think about that?)

Lime Mortar is no more expensive than regular Sand and Cement. 

Lime Mortar is NOT required for Re-Pointing and there is no proof that Lime Mortar lasts longer than regular sand and cement.

On the contrary..Lime mortar is not as strong as a firm mix of sand and cement. (Sand 60% 40% Cement).

With Additives (that were not available in past times) to ensure a good and secure bond that will outlive the whole house.!

Edited by FinBak

23 hours ago, spider1 said:

Really

Some people Ehh..:hihi:

I read this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/types-of-damp-what-have-i-got/damp-problems-caused-by-cement-pointing-of-brick-or-stone.html

when I was re pointing the base of our bay window which is stone (victorian stone front terrace not far from Walkley in Crookesmoor). Perhaps I was taken for a ride but I bought some 'heritage' lime mortar given it was only a small area. 

Lime also takes an age to dry out 

6 hours ago, iwbsheff said:

I read this https://www.heritage-house.org/damp-and-condensation/types-of-damp-what-have-i-got/damp-problems-caused-by-cement-pointing-of-brick-or-stone.html

when I was re pointing the base of our bay window which is stone (victorian stone front terrace not far from Walkley in Crookesmoor). Perhaps I was taken for a ride but I bought some 'heritage' lime mortar given it was only a small area. 

Stone ....and ...solid brick ...eg 9” brickwork 

"Stone ....and ...solid brick ...eg 9” brickwork "

I thought it was stone faced (and I guess the actual wall is...at least I hope it is!) but when we had the plaster off inside the base of the bay window turned out to be solid stone blocks.  

Don't see what difference it makes though. What's your point?

Just had ours done and they used 4:1 sand to cement mix. I was worried after as read should use part lime and cement only mixes can be stronger than the brick and cause them to spall. Also cement traps the moisture so walls don’t breath. Had a couple builders round to quote on another groundwork job and they commented the pointing looks good and not to worry about no lime.

Edited by JohnnyBoy
Spell