Middlewood To Deepcar. Motorists Nightmare.

Most residents in Sheffield do not realise how bad the diesel pollution is.

Arriving at Sheffield railway station in a modern train during a temperature inversion to be greeted by the stench of train and taxi fumes is gagging.

Black cabs are awful when you get in and continue to be 'til you get out.

If you ask why the stink of cigarette smoke and diesel was is so overpowering, the answers never reflect any care or consideration for the comfort of passengers.

One of my suggestion to the survey was to prevent all diesel taxis from picking up at the station and allowing private hire pick up.

Sheffield black cab drivers and owners should form an association that promotes good practice and governs its own standards, otherwise it won't be the Council who will put you out of business it will be the customers.

Have to say I can't remember the last time I drove along this road and didn't encounter a set of temporary lights on it.

On 06/08/2019 at 15:48, geared said:

Most of the accidents are just caused by utter numpties though, I'm not sure you can design the road better to accommodate stupidity.

It's abit twisty but it's not a challenging road by any stretch of the imagination, very pleasant to drive down when it's clear.

What's pleasant about driving on the Bithums,the bumps and holes shake the car to bits?

There seems to be more roadworks than ever right now. I've lost count of the amount of temporary lights I've seen over the last couple of weeks! 

School holidays innit. Good time to schedule road works...

1 hour ago, Colin Foster said:

The world doesn't revolve around school holidays though.

There are clearly fewer cars about though, I notice traffic in my job. Many people are currently in Spain, complaining how expensive holidays are in school holidays :hihi:

7 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

Got a better idea?

12 hours ago, Colin Foster said:

The Council do actually try to schedule as much roadwork activity as possible in the school holidays as the peak traffic is lighter. 

On 06/08/2019 at 11:39, amnicoll said:

stick to the current seemingless continual  roadworks, no one working and you may have a point

The idea that the tram would be extended to Stocksbridge is a pipe dream and as both above say even if it was a possibility it would not be using the road route but would use the old rail route

As on this thread...... :

How long will the temporary 3 way lights at Deepcar be in operation ? (with hardly anyone working on them....)

On 07/08/2019 at 12:29, amnicoll said:

so were these expensive models and professional engineers listened to when they designed the section that is now being redesigned and rebuilt

Those expensive traffic models are a waste of space as I found when I actually counted how many vehicles actually managed to drive along Middlewood road at peak hours. It was WAY less than the predicted traffic flow...... Interestingly it was the lights for the tram Park and Ride which seemed to be the biggest problem, even more so than Leppings lane, somewhat surprisingly. Vehicles have to wait an absolute age (going into town) when there`s nothing even waiting to use the junction going in or out of the P&R.

That P&R is in DESPERATE need of a filter light.

Edited by Justin Smith

2 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Interestingly it was the lights for the tram Park and Ride which seemed to be the biggest problem, even more so than Leppings lane, somewhat surprisingly. Vehicles have to wait an absolute age (going into town) when there`s nothing even waiting to use the junction going in or out of the P&R.

I passed this on to my old colleagues in SCC traffic control. They advise that it is caused by a fault in the tram detection equipment and they have asked Supertram to attend to it. 

16 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I passed this on to my old colleagues in SCC traffic control. They advise that it is caused by a fault in the tram detection equipment and they have asked Supertram to attend to it. 

this is not an unusual occurrence it was happening when there were no trams on occaision and during last years work even when the car park was closed