Middlewood To Deepcar. Motorists Nightmare.

We have now had almost two years of contractors and council workers digging up various sections of the road from Middlewood to Deepcar .Most of that that time there has been anything from one to four sets of temporary traffic lights in operation.Frustrated motorists have had to waste hours  waiting at these lights but on many occasions there hasn't been anybody working there. Just when we all thought it was about to end and the disgusting,dangerous road surface would be resurfaced, it appears Supertram may be extended to Stocksbridge.If this is true it will mean months of more disruption for the motorist whilst the tracks are laid for this congestion causing monstrosity to become operative.I fail to see why Supertram needs to be extended,why not just resurface the road,provide a decent bus service and let motorists have a rest from this mess?

What links can you produce to substantiate either of these claims?

What has the work at Deepcar got to do with the Council? Its not their project.

There are no current plans for Supertram to be extended. Lots of doodles by an MP but no plans.

There were plans submitted to the Government and rejected twenty years ago. 

If any extensions to Supertram  were to be considered, Stocksbridge would be low on the list and it certainly would not be using the road. 

1 hour ago, ivan edake said:

it appears Supertram may be extended to Stocksbridge.If this is true it will mean months of more disruption for the motorist whilst the tracks are laid for this congestion causing monstrosity to become operative.I fail to see why Supertram needs to be extended,why not just resurface the road,provide a decent bus service and let motorists have a rest from this mess?

If you're talking about this: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traffic-and-travel/three-new-sheffield-tram-train-routes-proposed-by-mp-and-this-is-where-they-would-run-471720 it's nothing more than talk at the moment and if there were any serious intent (and money) to do it, it would probably take at least 5 years before work started on the ground. That proposal involves using the existing freight railway, so would probably not involve extensive on street track laying on your route. 

Edited by Planner1

stick to the current seemingless continual  roadworks, no one working and you may have a point

The idea that the tram would be extended to Stocksbridge is a pipe dream and as both above say even if it was a possibility it would not be using the road route but would use the old rail route

Tram extension to Stocksbridge would be excellent, would be a great place to build a park and ride facility.  The one at Middlewood is tough to access in morning traffic and usually pretty full.

I don't think funding can be found for such a project though, value for money isn't there yet.

Problem is there's alot of development going on along the valley, by the time sufficient housing is there to warrant a tram system the old rail lines will have been yanked out and built over.

Edited by geared

it is a busy a terrible road for accidents  so i thought that needs sorting first

7 minutes ago, bassett one said:

it is a busy a terrible road for accidents  so i thought that needs sorting first

Most of the accidents are just caused by utter numpties though, I'm not sure you can design the road better to accommodate stupidity.

It's abit twisty but it's not a challenging road by any stretch of the imagination, very pleasant to drive down when it's clear.

When the old 'British Tissues' factory area is redeveloped (looks in full swing) the whole area will be bad.

The site looks absolutely huge. No transport facilities, and even if good transport, every one will have 2 cars.

-

At planner,

What do the traffic computers say will happen to this already busy road with a massive bottleneck (being Catch Bar triangle)?

Of course as you know, I know nothing about traffic as you pointed out here,

but you ignored my 7 point response to other old posts that I was correct about AND the council made changes in the past...  I notice how you ignore a lot.

-

This is my prediction: 2019

In this case, I predict this. 400 or so hundred houses (it looks like) which are valued at a point which means the pruchasers will be most likely young professionals or families, who work and use cars.

My internal brain / traffic  computer*** says that the already intolerable morning queues that generally start around Stockarth Lane, will be longer. :):hihi:

***The Council employ professional traffic engineers who have sophisticated and very expensive traffic models which will simulate what will happen.

@Planner1

7 hours ago, geared said:

Tram extension to Stocksbridge would be excellent, would be a great place to build a park and ride facility.  The one at Middlewood is tough to access in morning traffic and usually pretty full.

I don't think funding can be found for such a project though, value for money isn't there yet.

Problem is there's alot of development going on along the valley, by the time sufficient housing is there to warrant a tram system the old rail lines will have been yanked out and built over.

Makes me laugh these days when they talk of pollution, congestion, too many cars on the road etc. They place heavy parking fees, consider ‘congestion charges’ etc to try and deter motorists. 

Heres an idea...

Provide good public transport and people might just leave their cars at home. How many people commute from oughtibridge and beyond into Sheffield? A rail link would take so much pressure off the roads but, of course, cost is the issue. Well councils and governments can’t have it both ways. 

They find how many £billions for cross rail / cross rail 2 (being planned) even a new tunnel under the Thames perhaps. The cost of extending supertram would be minuscule in comparison. Tram/train has already proved a success in the trials, get serious about extending it now - because as it stands it won’t be too long before our roads will grind to a halt. 

53 minutes ago, Blue Day said:

Makes me laugh these days when they talk of pollution, congestion, too many cars on the road etc. They place heavy parking fees, consider ‘congestion charges’ etc to try and deter motorists. 

Heres an idea...

Provide good public transport and people might just leave their cars at home. How many people commute from oughtibridge and beyond into Sheffield? A rail link would take so much pressure off the roads but, of course, cost is the issue. Well councils and governments can’t have it both ways. 

They find how many £billions for cross rail / cross rail 2 (being planned) even a new tunnel under the Thames perhaps. The cost of extending supertram would be minuscule in comparison. Tram/train has already proved a success in the trials, get serious about extending it now - because as it stands it won’t be too long before our roads will grind to a halt. 

make sure you're up to date on this Blue day

We're [taxis] being punished for AND incorrectly blamed for pollution. No one can see it, no one cares really if we're honest. However, people will care when it comes to them, which it will. Once those cameras are in, car owners are next.

Fill it in, have a look. It's all loaded questions, to get people to seal their own fate.

Edited by *_ash_*

15 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

***The Council employ professional traffic engineers who have sophisticated and very expensive traffic models which will simulate what will happen.

@Planner1

so were these expensive models and professional engineers listened to when they designed the section that is now being redesigned and rebuilt

16 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

We're [taxis] being punished for AND incorrectly blamed for pollution. No one can see it, no one cares really if we're honest. However, people will care when it comes to them, which it will. Once those cameras are in, car owners are next.

Fill it in, have a look. It's all loaded questions, to get people to seal their own fate.

Have you seen the clean air proposals put forward by Rotherham council?