2018/2019 Recommended Tradesmen Megathread No Advertising/Jobs/Quotes

13 minutes ago, Domig said:

I live in Nether Edge and have just had  some traditional sash window restoration / refurbishment work carried out by Jeff Smith.

Jeff is a straightforward man and a pleasure to have around. He managed to do the joinery work at quite short notice and arranged for a painter as well.  All the work was completed to a very high standard and at a competitive price. Jeff did a lot of finishing up of odd bits that we hadn’t originally specified, alongside the quoted work, which was a big help.  He even managed to free up two of the sashes that had long ago been painted shut, which I wasn’t expecting. 

I was doing some of the painting prep work to keep the price down and again Jeff could not have been more helpful and kindly lent me his ladders for a week.  

Previously Jeff fitted me a new front door which I continue to be very pleased with.

All in all I have no hesitation in recommending Jeff for any joinery work big or small. 

His details are:

Jeff Smith

Joinery Solutions

0114 2203563

Dominic

I just came on here to recommend Jeff as well. We needed three pieces of work doing last year and earlier this year - a built in cupboard in an alcove, a set of bookshelves running the full length of our front room, and built-in wardrobes and drawers in the bedroom. Jeff did the bookshelves himself and two of his co-workers did the other jobs. All done to a high standard and as Dominic says a decent price too. Jeff is cheerful and efficient and a great guy to have around. 

Julian

On 01/07/2019 at 11:53, Badgerramble said:

I am looking to have some internal building work done - wall removal, plastering, electrics, plumbing, decorating. 

Has anyone used Meersbrook Construction Company or SDP Builders? 

Not SDP. Ive only heard bad things.

On 05/07/2019 at 12:40, julianD said:

I just came on here to recommend Jeff as well. We needed three pieces of work doing last year and earlier this year - a built in cupboard in an alcove, a set of bookshelves running the full length of our front room, and built-in wardrobes and drawers in the bedroom. Jeff did the bookshelves himself and two of his co-workers did the other jobs. All done to a high standard and as Dominic says a decent price too. Jeff is cheerful and efficient and a great guy to have around. 

Julian

Us too - Jeff is a breath of fresh air. Straight up. We contacted him after seeing him recommended on this forum and he recently removed & re-fitted 2 doors for us. We already had the doors but wanted them changed around and in new positions, so not a straightforward job. Jeff & apprentice Jake worked really hard, were extremely efficient,  got us the right locks and fittings, did a tidy job and even fitted the cat flap - all at a very fair price.  
P & J

Edited by PatimPatom
incorrect punctuation

Hi

I am looking for a plasterer to come and plaster 2 rooms in my house.

Any recommendations please?

Oh.. also I am looking for an electrician to install a front outside light, get some sockets working and a few other tasks..

Thanks in advance, any recommendations please let me know.

hello, I am looking for someone to remove my old gas fire and fit a new one. any recommendations please?

Won't you be better getting the shop that supplies the fire to fit it? I'm assuming they have qualified fitters or subcontractors. That is what we have always done. When we bought a gas cooker from a department store we asked our  gas supplier to fit it. The pipework was already there so the charge to connect it wasn't very much.  

Hi. I'm after a general handyman who will be able to convert my outside shed into a home office. Basically I need it tidying up. The electrics are there, they just need sockets and wiring tidying up. Apart from that, some plaster board and cement to tidy the walls.  Can anyone recommend someone trust worthy to do this small / medium sized job please?

I'm looking for a recommendations for a roofer in the S6 area to fix/replace the valley on our roof and check the flashing around two chimmneys. It is a tall house and would probably require scaffolding.

Anyone able to recommend a reliable roofer?

Hi

Can anyone recommend a general handyman.

I live in S10.

I have a number of small jobs, including hanging a mirror and shelves, and fitting an outside tap.

Thanks. 

Hi I have a property I rent that requires it’s annual gas safety certificate doing mid August. 

The price I’ve been quoted by my letting agent seems rather steep (£85) so I’m looking for any recommendations so I can organise myself. 

Cheers

Edited by nikki-red

hi..im looking for electrician to fit a electric cooker please..anyone point me in the right direction please.

Once upon a Time, any self respecting DIY guy, or Handyman, could tackle these sorts of jobs, however due to the Govt of recent times:

I guess it was due to some careless slipshod workers, who created dangerous practices, which ended in the then Govt taking actions, with more and more regulations, like you have to have a Gas Safe cert. To fit Gas, plus to do Electrical Work you have to have the up to date current Cert. For that, likewise you have to be a qualified Carpenter to do carpentry, or Joinery,  which all drives the Costs up. Etc etc..

Roofers once worked from Ladders, in my younger days, which made roofing jobs relatively cheap, nowadays they only Work on your roof once the Scaffolders have been, hiking costs then between £300-1000 more, dependant on what you get done?

It all makes money for the current workers to achieve more....methinks