Cycling On The Moor Pedestrian Areas

What do people think of cycling and skateboarding on Sheffield Moor?

I was in York last year when an elderly gent was injured by a cyclist. The police were called and the officer told the cyclist that cycles should be WALKED on footway and pedestrian shopping areas and skateboarding is NOT allowed

These rules/laws are frequently obused in Sheffield. Who is responsible for these non insured riders?

Signage up in places like The Moor & Fargate would definitely make thing clearer.  As there is nothing to suggest that such areas are nothing more than pedestrianised areas & not shared pedestrian & cycle areas, them presumably anyone riding a bike in such places are breaking the law? 

Skateboarding, that's a  different matter entirely but as I stated, until SCC put up some signage, everyone's in the dark. 

Shouldn't cycle on a pavement or in pedestrianised zones, but there's rarely anyone around to enforce the rules.

How do you know they're uninsured? They most likely will be, because the majority of people who cycle on the Moor pedestrian zone are scrotes on poorly maintained bikes, rather than commuters.  It isn't a cycle route, or shared use space, so people shouldn't be riding there. There is a case for making it a cycling zone after shopping hours when there are fewer pedestrians around.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

Signage up in places like The Moor & Fargate would definitely make thing clearer.  As there is nothing to suggest that such areas are nothing more than pedestrianised areas & not shared pedestrian & cycle areas, them presumably anyone riding a bike in such places are breaking the law? 

Skateboarding, that's a  different matter entirely but as I stated, until SCC put up some signage, everyone's in the dark. 

Signage is in place, or at least was. Pedestrianised Area - No Vehicles.

The old through cycle route from South Lane , Cumberland St is no more . It was removed to build the Moor Market and the cheese grater.   

Edited by WalkleyIan

1 hour ago, geared said:

Shouldn't cycle on a pavement or in pedestrianised zones, but there's rarely anyone around to enforce the rules.

Barkers Pool? Castle Square in front of the Bankers? 

Both are cycle routes through pedestrian areas.  Barkers Pool is part of the Peak district Anniversary route opened back in the 90s. The one outside the bankers  is signposted as the cycle route to Fargate. 

The old city centre ambassadors used to be hot on cycling through pedestrian zones till they got called to account for threatening a councillor with a fine for riding along Norfolk St perfect legally behind the peace garden .   Not the cleverest thing to be doing in front of Howden House while your boss is watching 

They've long since stopped going after anyone cycling safely . Bigger problem down the Moor used to be bike thieving from the racks on Earl St . Not sure if it still is but whenever I went to the opticians they would ask you to bring the bike in  for safety 

Does the Moor still have its own private security like it used to when Scottish widows owned it? 

6 hours ago, barry-333 said:

What do people think of cycling and skateboarding on Sheffield Moor?

I was in York last year when an elderly gent was injured by a cyclist. The police were called and the officer told the cyclist that cycles should be WALKED on footway and pedestrian shopping areas and skateboarding is NOT allowed

These rules/laws are frequently obused in Sheffield. Who is responsible for these non insured riders?

John Prescott, who  a good few years ago said cycling on a footpath was ok. 

Angel1.

On 05/08/2019 at 18:39, ANGELFIRE1 said:

John Prescott, who  a good few years ago said cycling on a footpath was ok. 

Angel1.

A man who neither walked nor cycled to any significant degree - he most have broken far more toilet seats than any other MP on the basis of the number of times he claimed for a new one.

since when do cyclists bother to take notice of signs ,they please themselves all the time ,no if ,s or buts they dont bother ,always thinking they are in the right,selfish 

Cycling on the Moor - doesn't bother me at all, in fact I've never noticed it. People looking down at their phones not looking where they are going are the biggest hazard, along with people running too fast. 

Cycling slowly and moving out of the way for pedestrians I am ok with but a couple of years ago a friend of mine was very nearly knocked down  leaving Sainsburys when an inconsiderate cyclist was going way to fast past the front of shops.