Sign in to follow this  

Copy And Paste From W10 To Android.

I tried to copy and paste a document from my W10 desktop to my Lenovo tablet and it would not do it. Is that because one is W10 and the other is android and would I have the same problem if I bought a Chromebook?

Are you sure you actually mean copy & paste? 

I highlight my folder and drag it to the tablet which is connected to my PC with a cable, and nothing happens, So you could say I am copying and pasting. All to no effect. 

Edited by Kidorry
added script.

You cannot just drag it straight onto the tablet, you may need to check on your tablet from the top- pulldown that it's in File transfer mode or something else....

Then, you also need to put it inside a folder on the tablet, you cannot just put it straight onto the tablet by dropping it onto it like you tried.....

I copy and paste from Windows 10 to Android quite a lot.

I create the folder on Android first then copy over the files I want directly from 10 into it. You can also copy lines of text from Windows to Android. I doubt very much if drag and drop of folders works but never tried it.

Also, the file transfer over WiFi apps on Android can be poor. The best I've used is the stock one on the Media Pad M5. It's still far better to use the USB lead.

We all use our phones/tablets different but this is what I do:

Leave the phone/tablet internal memory for: Camera, Installs, Downloads

On a fast Micro SD: Create folders for: Music, Video, eBooks, Documents etc (Copy and Paste into these folders)

Edited by zach

Thank you for your replies and I will try out your advice later. Cheers.

Have just tried to copy and paste it to the documents folder on my tablet and it has worked a treat. Simple when you know how. Thanks everyone.

Edited by Kidorry
replying to advice given.

5 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Have just tried to copy and paste it to the documents folder on my tablet and it has worked a treat. Simple when you know how. Thanks everyone.

Looks like you've got the hang of it now. Same procedure for video, music...etc.

On 05/08/2019 at 07:30, zach said:

I copy and paste from Windows 10 to Android quite a lot.

I create the folder on Android first then copy over the files I want directly from 10 into it. You can also copy lines of text from Windows to Android. I doubt very much if drag and drop of folders works but never tried it.

Also, the file transfer over WiFi apps on Android can be poor. The best I've used is the stock one on the Media Pad M5. It's still far better to use the USB lead.

We all use our phones/tablets different but this is what I do:

Leave the phone/tablet internal memory for: Camera, Installs, Downloads

On a fast Micro SD: Create folders for: Music, Video, eBooks, Documents etc (Copy and Paste into these folders)

Zach,

When you copy your files from 10 and transfer to Android, are you using a data cable or you find it works with basic   usb cable?

4 hours ago, Janus said:

Zach,

When you copy your files from 10 and transfer to Android, are you using a data cable or you find it works with basic   usb cable?

I can't speak for Zach, but I just use whatever cable came with the phone, or which ever is nearest/to hand that is the right connection.... a cable is a cable when it's digital data....

Edited by Ghozer

I wondered because the cable that came with the Android phone doubles as a data cable as well as charging cable.

Maybe a simple usb2 to micro usb will be ok. Perhaps just try and see what happens is best option if the already got cables.

I use both but the cable is without doubt the fastest.

As Ghozer said, a cable is a cable. Some call them power and some data, 99% of the time it will do both with no problems. The very long ones can have problems with power and data, stick with ones below 2m (IMO)