Are Buses Allowed To Leave A Terminus Early?

22 hours ago, haddy said:

Maybe your watch was wrong!

Maybe the buses time was wrong and in fact it left on time as per ticket machine 

21 hours ago, Hook said:

That happens often enough!

It's highly likely tbh. 

My phone has the time and date set by a central time server. 

It's always 3-4 mins different to the bus. 

But in answer to the OP, no a driver shouldn't leave a time point early unless exceptional circumstances exist. 

Is it possible it was the previous bus running late ? 

I have known a situation where someone rang in complaining that the bus left 3 minutes early only to find that is was the previous bus on an half hour route running 27 minutes late and not being adjusted.

Buses may not but Trams are allowed to leave early as the timetables at any stop are according to Supertram (Tim Bilby and James Stewart ) a guide not only are they allowed to leave the terminus early they can also leave from what are known as "timing points"

When I first came to Sheffield I could time my walk to the terminus knowing i could catch the tram if it was on time now I have to allow an extra 2 minutes just in case it leaves early

ironically despite the dot matrix displays having a clock they do not use them but prefer to use "Stagecoach Time"

Guest busdriver1
On 05/08/2019 at 09:08, spilldig said:

Is it possible it was the previous bus running late ? 

I have known a situation where someone rang in complaining that the bus left 3 minutes early only to find that is was the previous bus on an half hour route running 27 minutes late and not being adjusted.

It is extremely possible particularly in today's Sheffield.

Remember when the PTE decided to retain all of the BSOG money they were supposed to pass on to operators and claimed they would use  it to improve bus services and introduce measures to assist the operation? HaHaHaHaHa some people actually believed that one. Lets see if we can find evidence of £1 spent that way from that source.

No we can't, classed as gross misconduct I think. It will be checked if it's reported but the driver runs to what the ticket machine says so if that has the correct time the driver will be ok. 

On 08/08/2019 at 21:00, busdriver1 said:

It is extremely possible particularly in today's Sheffield.

Remember when the PTE decided to retain all of the BSOG money they were supposed to pass on to operators and claimed they would use  it to improve bus services and introduce measures to assist the operation? HaHaHaHaHa some people actually believed that one. Lets see if we can find evidence of £1 spent that way from that source.

They were never supposed to pass on all the money on to bus companies.

The Government announced in 2012 to reform the way in which they directly support the bus market through the Bus Service Operators Grant (BSOG).

SYPTE like all other similar Authorities were obliged to retain initially 20%(and rising) of the subsidy Government gives to private Bus companies. to improve all aspects of bus transport.

SYPTE were the first to trial this and their plan was accepted by Government. The award was an increase funding for bus transport in Sheffield by £530,000 in 2013/4 this financial and just under £1.6 million in future years to total £18 000 000.

It was something SYPTE had to do, did it well according to the Government.

For a some of plan see Better Bus Areas.

Guest busdriver1
11 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

They were never supposed to pass on all the money on to bus companies.

The Government announced in 2012 to reform the way in which they directly support the bus market through the Bus Service Operators Grant (BSOG).

SYPTE like all other similar Authorities were obliged to retain initially 20%(and rising) of the subsidy Government gives to private Bus companies. to improve all aspects of bus transport.

SYPTE were the first to trial this and their plan was accepted by Government. The award was an increase funding for bus transport in Sheffield by £530,000 in 2013/4 this financial and just under £1.6 million in future years to total £18 000 000.

It was something SYPTE had to do, did it well according to the Government.

For a some of plan see Better Bus Areas.

So where has it gone then?