Jussie Smollet

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

Now that is ridiculous (and worrying). 

Even criminals (which Smollet technically isn't, even though it's clear from the case files he did fake the hate crime) deserve to be treated as human. 

maybe thats why we have so much hate crime its treated way too leniently and to fake it is even worse than an actual crime. thats whats wrong with the world too much handwringing and molly coddling.

Guest makapaka
28 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Where's the hypocricy in what I said? I'm curious, please explain.

Just generally across any number of posts - you regularly use quote emotive insulting words towards people who hold a different view to you but are now trying to hold someone to account for referring to someone as a rat rather than acknowledge the real issue.

Edited by makapaka

Just now, Borista336 said:

maybe thats why we have so much hate crime its treated way too leniently and to fake it is even worse than an actual crime. thats whats wrong with the world too much handwringing and molly coddling.

No, what's wrong with the world is too much hate and not enough love.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

Just generally across any number of posts - you regularly use quote emotive insulting words towards people who hold a different view to you but are now trying to hold someone to account for referring to someone as a rat rather than acknowledge the real issue.

Have you ever heard me describe people as animals? Clearly not, which makes your claim that I was hypocritical completely baseless.

1 minute ago, Borista336 said:

I don't believe that faking a hate crime is worse than actually committing a real hate crime. Both are bad, but they are not equally bad. 

Treating someone as human is not 'molly coddling' them. It's a fundamental human right. 

3 minutes ago, Halibut said:

No, what's wrong with the world is too much hate and not enough love.

Have you ever heard me describe people as animals? Clearly not, which makes your claim that I was hypocritical completely baseless.

To be fair to makapaka, you have. 

" Consequences of Brexit [part 7] 

Halibut replied to mort's topic in General Discussions

More good news - a 96% drop in nursing applications from the EU. In other words almost every would be nurse from an EU country who was going to come and train and work here, isn't. What a disastrous folly these donkeys are leading us into." 

Yes, describing people as donkeys is a common phrase used to describe people doing something stupid, but then describing people as a rat is a common phrase for an unpleasant person. 

Just a reminder to discuss the topic, not each other please.

Cheers.

On 03/08/2019 at 16:58, Waj said:

Smollet "may" have done the wrong thing. As far as im concerned he is innocent until proved guilty in a court of law but if he has done wrong then ask yourself why he felt the need to do what he did. He probably wanted to shine  light on the discrimination and plain old fashioned racism many people of colour face on a daily basis in the US.

For that he should be commended.

To clear things up.

Wanting to shine a light on injustice, racism and inequality is a good thing. Anyone disagree with that?

9 minutes ago, Waj said:

To clear things up.

Wanting to shine a light on injustice, racism and inequality is a good thing. Anyone disagree with that?

Context matters. 

If I murdered somebody high profile, lets say a famous bigot, because I wanted to shine a light on injustice, racism and inequality, my actions would be (obviously) wrong. It doesn't matter what my motives are, my actions would have been wrong. 

The same is true of anybody who decided to fake a hate crime. 

36 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Context matters. 

If I murdered somebody high profile, lets say a famous bigot, because I wanted to shine a light on injustice, racism and inequality, my actions would be (obviously) wrong. It doesn't matter what my motives are, my actions would have been wrong. 

The same is true of anybody who decided to fake a hate crime. 

Allegedly decided to fake a hate crime.

9 minutes ago, Waj said:

Allegedly decided to fake a hate crime.

Um..No. The same is true of someone who faked a hate crime. 

The example given was hypothetical. That means that it was not referencing anybody, but given as a hypothetical example to illustrate the problem with your earlier comment. 

12 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Um..No. The same is true of someone who faked a hate crime. 

The example given was hypothetical. That means that it was not referencing anybody, but given as a hypothetical example to illustrate the problem with your earlier comment. 

Of course your actions were wrong.

If proved to be wrong in a court of law.

9 hours ago, Waj said:

Of course your actions were wrong.

If proved to be wrong in a court of law.

So it wouldn’t be wrong to murder someone if I got away with it and was never caught?

Note that my comment said that ‘If i murdered someone..’ not, if I was suspected of murdering someone. In the hypothetical scenario, I did murder someone. My actions would still be wrong, yes? 

Edited by Robin-H