Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

Hi went to Whitby road school 1964/1972 have some brill memories ,in my class

Was Michael Morley graham short victor Harris Peter carter David bramhall Malcolm mason mark wilkinson Julie hibertson Shirley stocks Adrian bailey Jill

Night Gillian Roebuck Sandra king Kevin ridsdale good days :D

My dad also went to Whitby road school hes 78 now his name is Chatterton does anyone remember him???

I remember the name Chatterton but I believe he was in the class above me and I can't put a face to his name

---------- Post added 09-03-2014 at 20:21 ----------

I remember the name Chatterton but I believe he was in the class above me and I can't put a face to his name

My wife Irene Allinson went to WR and left in 54 maybe someone out there remembers her.

Johnny White died years ago, frank handley has a buiness down attercliffe, when he left Whitby he went to c tec
I was at Whitby rd.1955 to 1959.my name is ken gray played in the football team with a lot of the people you name.we also won the South Yorkshire seven a side rugby cup played at ringinglow rd.playing fields.think it was a great acheivment because I believe we were the first Sheffield school to do it.and mr mellow only gave us about a week to get two teams together.it was the b team that won.we had some good all round sportsmen and had great success.we won the under 13 cricket shield and we're losing finalist in the under 15shield.we also had a good rounders team and some good athletes.lots of us should have played for Sheffield team but all the posh schools seemed to be favoured.

I went to Whitby Road School at the same time as Kevin Burns, Kevin Hicken, Chris Maycock and Dave Fairest. I started in1A with Mrs Jones. After a week I was hit across the Knuckles with a ruler because I was writing with my left hand and She didn’t approve. When I got home and my dad saw my swollen, bruised knuckles he asked me what had happened so I told him. My 6 foot 2 inch 14 stone dad decided that he would have the morning off work to have as he said "a little chat with her", his words not mine.

Next morning I went to school with my knuckles bandaged, courtesy of the NHS at the Royal Hospital, about 20 minutes late, after registration. The chat with Mrs Jones in front of Mr Ssxton who was there on my dad’s insistence involved a graphic description of where the ruler would be forcibly placed if Mrs Jones ever used it on me again.

I remember thinking that my dad shouldn't say the word Arse because it was naughty. Anyway Mrs Jones looked quite pale after my dad had left and the rest of the morning was spent with Mr Saxon teaching us because Mrs Jones had suddenly become ill. She was very white so she may have been poorly I don't know.

Mrs Jones returned in the afternoon and didn't seem to mind me writing with my left hand. In fact she didn’t say anything to me for the rest of the week even when I put my hand up to go to wee-wee she just waved for me to go. She actually seemed to be a little bit frightened of little me.

On Friday I was told I was being transferred to Mrs Wilkinson’s Class 1B. I was in the B classes for the rest of my sojourn at Whitby Road and in the end of year exams was always in the top 2 or three in the class

Was this transfer to 1B the result of the "little chat" between my Dad and Mrs Jones or just a coincidence. I'll leave it up to you to decide.

It was a good school and I enjoyed my time there finally being in Mr Ellis' class. Many years later I met Mr Ellis in a social setting at a pub and had many more evenings in his company over the next 10 years until his sad death. I attended his funeral ad was surprised by the tributes paid by many of his comrades who served with him in the forces and also in his later teaching roll. Yes Eric Ellis had some bad habits but he was a teacher of the old school a disciplinarian who cared for his pupils and could remember them by name years after they went on to Big school and hence into the workplace. He told me Mrs Jones had nearly packed her job in after her chat with my dad and that my transfer was a condition of her remaining at Whitby Road. Happy Days lol.

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 01:01 ----------

heres some names peter williams kevin slinn jimy lambell diane abdy peter foster ian cooper ian fox rosemary siddall susan highfield maralyne dunn billy savage just for starters anyone else in this class

didnt diane abdy have a twin sister?

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 01:08 ----------

I Linda Hayward, went to WR started in 1961, remember all those teachers I loved Mr Saxson.

We all remember Mr Ellis. He was the school rounders team leader too and thought he was IT. But he couldn't even hit a ball.

I remember Yvonne Speight from Waltheof. She got expelled towards the end of her lsat year. She ran off with a gypsy that was laying new roads outside her house. Said she was pregnant, but I don't believe she really was. Too bad as she was a great athlete.

Does anyone know the wearabouts of Elaine Chapman. She was my best friend all through schools Haven't seen her in 35+ yrs. They lived at the bottom of Nightingale St and Darnall Main road and owned an appliance store until they tore down those homes

yvonne speight didnt run off with gypsies as far as i can remember, she was married to me for about 7 years so i think i can speak with a little bit of inside knowledge and she wasnt pregnant. Our daughter was in the British Olympic Bob sleigh team as Nicola Gautier and latterly as Nicola Minichello. Shouldnt listen to rumours it can be classed as slander lol

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 01:21 ----------

I believe Kev Burns was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident a long time ago. I lived 5 doors down from him. we didn't go to school together but he was my best mate in the street(Ronald Road) I was younger than him. x

I lived next door to Kevin Burns at 23. Do you remember Raymond {derick} Davis lived at 15 with his mum and nan in next yard down from nigel annes at 17 Steven and raymond Pitts 29 and their sister diane lived in next yard up. Michael Marcus no 2 next to the betting office and Melvin Jefferis at 16 in middle yard on same side and the grantham family at 20 in the orange and black house in next yard up. the speights yvonne at 92 main road, hector, helen, vincent, desmond and kevin in house at the junction of ronald Road main Road opposite the Industry pub and the Caff. blimey what a lot of kids on one road what memories.

---------- Post added 14-02-2015 at 01:37 ----------

When Mr Ellis started at Whitby Rd in 1962 he took our class, J4B. I recall well his opening words to us. " I suppose some of you are looking at me and are thinking I've seen him before. Well you will have because I'm also a football referee". Also the first teacher to call us by our christian names and not our surnames and to have his jacket off and his sleeves rolled up.[/quote/]

Eric sorry Mr Ellis was still refereeing in the late 80 when I met him for the first time after leaving school he was a very pleasant person to spend time with, We became friends something i wouldn't have believed possible as a 10 year old. oh how things change with time and the impossible becomes fact. I was proud to be in his guard of honour at his funeral along with many of his military comrades. I am proud to have known one of the most influential teachers and a friend RIP Eric We will Remember You "Fondly" and I for one with great respect which spans the generations between us you deserve to rest after a life full of influence achievements just like Mr Chips.

Edited by davekgautier

I went to Whitby Road in 1963 and I remember the old teachers. Those were the days. I remember the old teachers. They were brilliant times. I use knock about with Pete Wilson who was the cousin to Kev Burns. I remember Peters Dad who was called Gary who always love to go fishing and his mum who I always called Aunty

Buccanear, I was in Mr Ellis's French class in the mid seventies a subject we all hated. non more than Desmond Speight, who had the skill to sidetrack Mr Ellis away from French and onto another subject. It was during one of these welcome interludes that Mr Ellis told us the story of when he himself was at school, he used to give his friend his apple from his lunch because is friend had nothing. That is my lasting memory of Mr Ellis. PS I never recieved the slipper from him unlike Desmond who seemed to get it every lesson.

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 19:10 ----------

I too remember being move from Whitby road whilst the mine shafts were filled with concrete in the mid seventies, although we were moved to Maltby street school, opposite Attercliffe swimming baths, not Acres Hill. They would take us from Whitby road on three double decker buses in the morning. I recall we raced to get on the front bus. At lunch time they had two buses to bring those home who didn't stay for school dinners.

I also believe that Whitby road junior school was also altered in the seventies to be the first open plan school were you could see and hear what was happening in the other classrooms. And finally who remembers the U shaped, two tier, green nylon carpeted, seating area?

Hi, i went to Whitby Road School 1963 to 1966. Was in Miss Mustells class. Friends were Vicky, Karen, Julie, Christine. Left Darnall to go live in Leeds. Came back to Sheffield a year later though but lived in Handsworth so list touch with everyone.

Hi, you only come up as bish bosh so I cant say I remember you. I was only born in 62 and started school in late 66. I left one year after moving up to the juniors in 1970. I moved to Marcliffe Road and then Woodseats junior before going to High Storrs. I lived on Ronald Road near to the Granthams, Paul Kieth and Graham, Jonny Burns(Who was killed on a motorcycle) Paul Gautier and Neil Fletcher who were all older than me. There was a family called Spate, Hector and Vincent. Miss Pennington was quite young then. She'll be about 65 now. Regards, Martyn[/quote

It was David Gautier sister was Jayne there was also the Pitt family Kevin Raymond and Diane Nigel Anns (was a librarian in central library Las time I saw him) Michael Marcus and Melvin Jefferies remember also Raymond Derrick Davies don't know what happened to him he went his own way after we went to to Waltheof the Speight family was Hector, Vincent Desmond Kevin, Helen and Yvonne.

---------- Post added 20-07-2016 at 00:46 ----------

I Linda Hayward, went to WR started in 1961, remember all those teachers I loved Mr Saxson.

We all remember Mr Ellis. He was the school rounders team leader too and thought he was IT. But he couldn't even hit a ball.

I remember Yvonne Speight from Waltheof. She got expelled towards the end of her lsat year. She ran off with a gypsy that was laying new roads outside her house. Said she was pregnant, but I don't believe she really was. Too bad as she was a great athlete.

Does anyone know the wearabouts of Elaine Chapman. She was my best friend all through schools Haven't seen her in 35+ yrs. They lived at the bottom of Nightingale St and Darnall Main road and owned an appliance store until they tore down those homes

That about Yvonne Speight is a load of garbage she didn't run off with a gypsy I should know she was my wife for a number of years. Sometimes the rumour mill vomits out some amazing facts lol our daughter Nicola inherited her mothers athletic skill as Nicolas Gautier a heptathlete in the Olympics and later as Nicola Minnichello in the bob sleigh team at the winter Olympics leading Team Minnichello

---------- Post added 20-07-2016 at 00:53 ----------

The family names Speight and Waller and Carter are familiar. I was in Miss Mustalls infant class starting 66 and Miss Pennington's at Whtby Road junior. Does anyone know of her? I remember a girl called Jane I think, her family were involved in a bad accident as well.

The accident you refer too could be the Lees family Martin and his parents were killed returning from a diving holiday. His sister Jane was the only survivor he was one of my friends and a really quiet lad. Rest in peace Martin....

heres some names peter williams kevin slinn jimy lambell diane abdy peter foster ian cooper ian fox rosemary siddall susan highfield maralyne dunn billy savage just for starters anyone else in this class

Hi Maggie,

Jimmy Lambell reporting in from Australia!

Wow! Certainly a blast from the past seeing some of those names.....and what a great time we had, so many memories.

Peter Williams and Peter Foster were probably my two best mates, and they certainly led me astray (well that's my story anyway).

Went on to Rowlinson after Whitby Rd but was only there for a short time, left for Australia in April 1967.

Used to live in Wilstrop Rd and still to this day look back with fond memories.

Great to read so many stories about a wonderful school, and hope to hear many more.

Cheers,

Jim

I went to whitby road infants and juniors remember the Moores and Drinkwaters Julie ? Malcolm Highfield his dad a policeman Andrew Gray. Paul Windle Michael Peet William Swift Kevin Ramsden Jimmy Cutts. Neil Rodgers John Berry.. Was in Christine Bates class she died I remember, Terence Haliday, A very pretty girl called Janice lilley . I remember starting in Miss Mustells class Mr and Mrs Brindley Miss Pepper and Mr Hall.Yvonne Speight was awesome she helped me with my writing. Erica Bazaluk ?

I went to Waltheof for 3 weeks before moving to Shiregreen and Hartley Brook School.

Edited by Tigerfan

This brings back memories, sadly no names of pupils that I remember have been mentioned, but all ore from different classes.. Went to WR infants in 1955. Remember the stairs to the heads office. Terrified of them. Miss Mustell, Miss Skipton, Miss Cockayne.Then to Juniors at Darnall Rd annexe. Mr Cooper, used to be a scout master, a Mr Gregory I think. Seem to recall I was in Hampton house.Then to Whitby Road, remember Mr Saxton the head. Mr Cox who always used to boast about how Phyllosan kept him healthy, then Mr Clark in the last year before moving on to next school in 1961. Have a photo of one of the classes, no designer clothing in those days, look like a bunch of ragamuffins.Will try and remember some more of teachers names.

I started in 1955, names remembered, Janet Dowling, Elaine Bools, Pauline Hogg - I was Patricia Thompson - any one else remember these?

Fraid no boffins in our family!!! David had an elder brother.... Arthur Green

Hi nice-nurse, I am Arthur Greens daughter, are you & my dad cousins?