Whitby Road School Darnall Sheffield

Hi Linda, hope you are well, havent heard from you since my Mum Jean passed away.

Glad to hear Kev is ok, how is Sharron?

I remember the days when you two used to work at the Baby Clinic at the top of Barnadiston Road and Jill and me used to come to meet Mum from school.

Jill is now a granny as our Katie has a two and a half yr old called Isabelle.

Hi Robert

I think of your mum often. We had some fun times together. Sharon is fine and still living in York. She has a two year old grandson. Say hello to Jill for me. Hope you are all well. X

Hi all

I remember when Miss Cocking was the Infants head and Mr Taylor was head of the juniors.

Does anyone remember when the school caught fire?

been reading memories of WR I started in infants 1941 Kieth Ellis was in my class remember playing football with him in high hazels park the teachers then were gollege mawson rodgers (music teacher) we nick named him rimsky. allen was headteacher and was replaced by saxon. I lived in Irving St. les hobson roy palmer norman sunderland all lived locally.

I think my Dad went to Whitby road in the 30's. he lived on mandeville street.If 2nd hand rose is reading this her mum Sheila Allott) and mine were great buddies in the 50's -Kathleen Martin (nee watson). She still has happy memories of the old days.

My dad also went to Whitby road school hes 78 now his name is Chatterton does anyone remember him???

Hi all

I remember when Miss Cocking was the Infants head and Mr Taylor was head of the juniors.

Does anyone remember when the school caught fire?

I remember Miss Cocking as head of the infants but in the early 60's .. ie 62, it was Mr Saxon who was head of the juniors. He was a well built bloke probably in his 60's with dark rim glasses. I remember Mrs Machin and everybody remembers Mr Ellis. Good 'ol days .... Kevin

been reading memories of WR I started in infants 1941 Kieth Ellis was in my class remember playing football with him in high hazels park the teachers then were gollege mawson rodgers (music teacher) we nick named him rimsky. allen was headteacher and was replaced by saxon. I lived in Irving St. les hobson roy palmer norman sunderland all lived locally.

My best mates dad is Norman Sunderland

Brian Scaife was my dad. Sadly passed away 1995. Would love to find any photos of him as a kid. RIP DAD.

Hi Kev long tlme no see, last time I saw you you were working at New life windows some years ago.

My best mates dad is Norman Sunderland

Norman Sunderland was best man at my wedding. he's still alive and kicking spoke to him last week by phone

DID ANYONE GO TO WHITBY RD SCHOOL.

REMEMBER ANY OF TEACHERS NAMES I STARTED THERE IN 1965

I THINK IT WAS MISS COCKAIN HEADTEACHER, MRS MUSTARD

WHEN WE WENT TO THE JUNIORS IT WAS MR SAXSON HEAD,A MR GARNER CAN ANYONE REMEMBER MR ELLIS WHO WAS ALWAYS PICKING HIS NOSE AND FLICKING IT AND NOT FORGETING SAMMY THE SLIPPER WHO EVERYONE MET WITHIN THE FIRST WEEK... LOOK FORWARD FROM HEARING FOM YOU:D :hihi:

I left Whitby road school in 1960, the head teacher was mr Saxon and some of the teachers I recall were Grundy, cooper, Holland, Mellor and Coleridge...miss those good old days

---------- Post added 24-02-2014 at 21:43 ----------

do you remember sandra brown and molly and janet straw they lived near bottom end near staniforth rd.

Sandra Brown was one of my first girl friends she was a gorgeous little blonde and yes I remember Janet Straw too

---------- Post added 24-02-2014 at 21:57 ----------

hi susan remember me kevin hicken

Hi Kevin, My mother was Lucy ( Hicken ) Campbell, her brother was Walt Hicken and he was married to Joyce.

Do you have a brother called Trevor?

The Hickens I am talking about lived at 57 Cravens road and I lived at number 78.