Sheffield To Manchester Train Route Closed Until Monday 5th August

Thank you Annie and Andy.

It depends I suppose if I can use my prebooked ticket!  I used to go to Kidsgrove before my sons family moved, and I'm sure I went via Derby once years ago, same line as Congleton iirc.   I plan to go to the station and see what the score is in the morning as I've rung National Rail again and been told again some trains are running to Stockport.

13 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

Thank you Annie and Andy.

It depends I suppose if I can use my prebooked ticket!  I used to go to Kidsgrove before my sons family moved, and I'm sure I went via Derby once years ago, same line as Congleton iirc.   I plan to go to the station and see what the score is in the morning as I've rung National Rail again and been told again some trains are running to Stockport.

Arrive in Sheffield on time to catch your planned train.

If the Stockport train is cancelled, you can use your tickets on other routes to get to your destination.

If the stopper is running to Manchester Piccadilly you might choose that route.

As both routes are currently closed  and expected to be closed for a few more days at least, then Derby will be your best option.

The guards on the train will know why you are on a different train and be will be sympathetic.

Keep your tickets and photo the display which shows the cancelled train. You may be entitled to your money back so get a Delay Repay form.

At present it seems likely that the first trains between Sheffield and Manchester won't be before Tuesday; https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/227802.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0l8PDTHM7jX9qacVuXASCd7QGyM16feq3Ex3BK5xn2zHeIqv-aFKYtP9k

In 2007 the M1 was blocked for a week or more due to a weakness at the base of the UIley Reservoir earth wall. I'm no engineer but this breach is higher up and once the water level is lowered and pressure relieved from that top section it may be considered safe sooner.

Went down to station this morning (as advised by the national rail phoneline last night) as the train I'd booked, the 8.08 wasn't showing as running or cancelled.   Decided not to go as Monday is no better, too much hassle.   Now the joy of trying to get a refund!  Feel really sorry for anyone flying from Manchester this weekend.

The normal direct railway routes from Sheffield to Manchester closed until Thursday at the earliest.

A special runs via Meadowhall and Huddersfield every hours and takes 2 hours.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Any suggestion for best driving route for early morning from Sheffield to Manchester airport (around 530am), given the road closures?

We are going to Poynton tomorrow (just off the A555 airport link).

With the A6 closed and the roads and railway  around  Buxton , Macclesfield, Whalley and Chapel either closed or jammed, we will carry on along the A57 to Glossop then Hazel Grove then A6 to High Lane to the A555 this last bit avoids the jam on the A523 crossing with A555. Woodford Bridge closure making this worse.

To be safe go via the motorways - further but more reliable.

Apparently every minor road junction was snarled up as every smart**** was an expert.

East Midlands will be running an hourly service up the Hope Valley to Hope only from tomorrow. Intended to offer local service only with no onward connections. Implication is this should continue until full service can be restored. 

East Midlands crews sign this route and would normally continue from Sheffield to Liverpool.

Edited by 1978
Tautology

3 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

We are going to Poynton tomorrow (just off the A555 airport link).

With the A6 closed and the roads and railway  around  Buxton , Macclesfield, Whalley and Chapel either closed or jammed, we will carry on along the A57 to Glossop then Hazel Grove then A6 to High Lane to the A555 this last bit avoids the jam on the A523 crossing with A555. Woodford Bridge closure making this worse.

To be safe go via the motorways - further but more reliable.

Apparently every minor road junction was snarled up as every smart**** was an expert.

For what it's worth we drove from Macclesfield to Sheffield and back on Friday without any problems. Normally we do the Whaley, Chapel route but instead went over the Cat & Fiddle to Buxton and then onto the A6 to just above Chapel, then onto the A623 to Sparrowpit and then over to Winnats, Castleton etc. We expected it to take longer but it didn't - an hour each way.

Northern Rail website says service up and running Wednesday

TPE services to Stockport, Manchester and Airport

"The line between Hazel Grove and Sheffield is expected to fully reopen for start of service on Wednesday 7 August. As such, we anticipate that a normal service will resume between Manchester and Sheffield from tomorrow morning."