Sheffield To Manchester Train Route Closed Until Monday 5th August

Check before you go!

Sheffield to Manchester are currently closed  with routes potentially closed until Sunday 4th August,

The National Rail website https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/227802.aspx 

The mainline between Sheffield and Stockport and Manchester is parallel and below the canal between the Newtown and the Disley areas.

The High Peak canal is fed by the dam at Whalley Bridge and so they have closed the mainline from Sheffield to Stockport and Manchester and Manchester Airport

There is also disruption on the "stopper" route through New Mills Central on the Route to Piccadilly.

The alternative routes are via Huddersfield or Leeds and Huddersfield which wil take around two hours longer.

Road routes to Manchester Airport badly effected

AA websitehttps://www.theaa.com/route-planner/traffic-news/i

A6 closed at various points between and incuding Chapel and Disley

Routes via Pot Shrigley, Poynton and Adlington mostly closed.

A555 closed

Major road works in Buxton

Edited by Annie Bynnol

5 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Road routes to Manchester Airport badly effected

AA websitehttps://www.theaa.com/route-planner/traffic-news/i

A6 closed at various points between and incuding Chapel and Disley

Routes via Pot Shrigley, Poynton and Adlington mostly closed.

A555 closed

Major road works in Buxton

Just been to the Airport.

From this area it’s either M62/M60/M56 or

A57 Snake/M67/M60/M56 or

a ballsaching crawl up the A6 to Stockport/M60/M56

All the other routes- Pott Shrigley/A555 etc are all blocked off

53 minutes ago, Mossway said:

Just been to the Airport.

From this area it’s either M62/M60/M56 or

A57 Snake/M67/M60/M56 or

a ballsaching crawl up the A6 to Stockport/M60/M56

All the other routes- Pott Shrigley/A555 etc are all blocked off

Woodhead is open (but slow) according to https://glossop.online/traffic/

Update:

Closures extended to Monday.

Tickets are valid to Manchester Airport, Manchester, Liverpool via Tamworth orBirmingham New Street

"Customers travelling to or from Sheffield / Nottingham may use the following services:

CrossCountry between Sheffield / Nottingham and Tamworth / Birmingham and between Birmingham and Stockport / Manchester

London Northwestern Railway between Tamworth and Crewe
and between Birmingham and Liverpool Lime Street"

Source

A very good example of quite how poor trans-Pennine travel is, we really need investment and a new option.

Edited by geared

I've rung National Rail this morning and been told that the train I've booked from Sheffield to pick up my connection in Stockport tomorrow is running.  Confused now.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

current service

• East Midlands Trains (Norwich-Liverpool): running from Norwich to Sheffield. No service Sheffield-Liverpool.
  • Transpennine Express (Cleethorpes-Manchester Airport): running from Cleethorpes-Sheffield. Some trains may run on to Manchester via Huddersfield when possible.
  • Northern (Sheffield-Manchester all stations): running Marple-Manchester. No service to/from Sheffield.

Passengers from Sheffield to Manchester and beyond advised to travel via Leeds or Huddersfield.

Passengers from Sheffield to the Hope Valley advised to use bus services 65/271/272/273/274. Journeys operated by Hulleys bus company will accept train tickets, otherwise normal bus tickets will need to be purchased. Service 65 is Stagecoach, 271/272 mostly First, 273/274 Hulleys (TM Travel on Sundays). See www.travelsouthyorkshire.com for timetables.

No rail replacement buses are being provided. 

Suggestion from the train operators is do not travel if you don't have to, if you do then use alternative routes.

Above seems to be until further notice - basically until the situation with the dam wall is resolved. Check www.nationalrail.co.uk service updates page before travel.

Edited by Andy C

15 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I've rung National Rail this morning and been told that the train I've booked from Sheffield to pick up my connection in Stockport tomorrow is running.  Confused now.

If your connection at Stockport is for onward travel by train then the may well be alternative route where your ticket is valid.

If so where?

If you have an Advance ticket you can still travel by other routes and probably get  some or all your money back.

I'm going to Holmes Chapel. I could go to Congleton.  Either is convenient,  not sure how I get there except via Stockport!

Sheffield to Derby, Derby via Stoke to Crewe and Crewe  to Holmes Chapel

Ticket is valid with XC and  Northern trains- and probably others.

You could change at Stoke for Congleton if there is a better connection. Ask the Guard on the train from Derby.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

For Holmes Chapel it does look like Sheffield-Derby-Crewe-Holmes Chapel is the best bet. For Congleton Sheffield-Derby-Stoke-Congleton.

There is also an option of Sheffield-Leeds-Manchester but it appears to take longer.