Nethergate Hall - Stannington

I was out walking the other night and passed Revell Grange at Stannington and was quite interested to read its story.  The Revell family moved there in 1742, but previously lived at Nethergate Hall in Stannington.

I can't find any reference to Nethergate Hall anywhere and wondered if anyone knew anything about it, or where it actually was.

Thanks

Hi Mandem.  Interesting post.  I have an keen interest in researching this.  I have a theory that Nethergate hall is now another building in Stannington, perhaps the one where I now live OR is it now what was the Roman Catholic "church" on Nethergate - became a school house. 

Both buildings are in close proximity to Revell Grange - and also the Cottages on (the now) Oldfield road that were owned by the Revell family. 

Edited by simonman
updated facts

Hi  Thank you for your reply  I haven't had any luck moving forward..  I did wonder if Nethergate Hall was perhaps a small building and called a hall in those days.  I downloaded a PDF file on a thesis by Julia Elizabeth Hatfield, but i am still none the wiser.  There is a very old house on Nethergate with mullioned windows and an old roof, I did wonder if that could be it.  

Hi, that building you refer to is White house farm, its not that building.   I posted on the Sheffield history forum and had the following reply,

From the Sheffield Independent, 31 May1889.

There is a long article headed 'The Revival of Roman Catholicism in Sheffield'.

This is just a short section of it:

'During the troublous times, when the faith and well-nigh every vestige of the Catholic religion had been swept away

from Sheffield and the county round, the sacred fire was kept alive in NETHERGATE HALL, the venerable family mansion

of the Revell's, which stood on the site now occupied by St Mary's School, Stannington'.

That building is now a house on Nethergate and is obviously a former church.  The house next to that looks distinctly hall like in places...... 

Edited by simonman

The Revell family lived at Steel Farm, Nethergate.  In 1637 Rowland Revell held the farm "at will" and there was attached land of 92 acres.  (from  Harrisons 1637 survey) . Until 1712 the family probably had a Jesuit priest living with them (Father Pennington died 1712) who conducted Mass in their illicit chapel.   The Revell name in Stannington died out in 1744 when Ann Revell married Richard Broomhead and they moved to Revell Grange - Ann was the daughter of Thomas Revell who died in 1744.

Edited by TedW

12 hours ago, simonman said:

Hi, that building you refer to is White house farm, its not that building.   I posted on the Sheffield history forum and had the following reply,

From the Sheffield Independent, 31 May1889.

There is a long article headed 'The Revival of Roman Catholicism in Sheffield'.

This is just a short section of it:

'During the troublous times, when the faith and well-nigh every vestige of the Catholic religion had been swept away

from Sheffield and the county round, the sacred fire was kept alive in NETHERGATE HALL, the venerable family mansion

of the Revell's, which stood on the site now occupied by St Mary's School, Stannington'.

That building is now a house on Nethergate and is obviously a former church.  The house next to that looks distinctly hall like in places...... 

That is really interesting.  Is it the house with the scaffolding up at the moment.  I never realised it was once a church, I knew it had been a school.  Thank you for that.

I was interested to read where the members of the Revell family used to live in Stannington. Although I was aware they used to live in Revell Grange,  I did not know they also lived in Nethergate Hall and Steel Farm, Nethergate.  Rowland Revell was my 11 x GGF.

Is Steel Farm still there or has it been demolished?

Thank you

Steel Farm fell into ruin after the Revell family moved to Bingley Lane in the 1740s but a small part was restored for use as a school in the 1850s.  By 1855 need was felt for a Roman Catholic School in Stannington. Mrs. Teresa Sutton, the Revell and Broomhead heiress, provided what was left of the old family residence on Nethergate, which had mostly fallen into ruin, for the purpose. Michael Dignam, an Irish-born Catholic, became the first headmaster, assisted by his wife, son and daughter. The census return of 1871 shows 'St. Mary's Boarding School' having twelve boarders between the ages of seven and thirteen. There were four from Sheffield, three from Southport, two from Leeds and one each from Wigan, Manchester and Preston. All were boys apart from a seven-year-old girl who attended with her brother from Leeds. By 1881 there were only two boarders, one from Sheffield and one from Ireland. The school closed in 1905 and is now a private house.  (from Julia Hatfield's thesis)

The school was opened in 1864 - an Easter Monday  tea party was held to celebrate its opening and thank the founder, Francis Sutton of Revell Grange.  The school was built of stone with five mullioned windows and an ornamental gable, overlooking the Glossop Road.  The playground and out buildings were surrounded by a six feet high stone wall.

My guess for the location is on the sharp bend on Nethergate:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.389363,-1.5486242,3a,45.4y,308.85h,97.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqDGnmbVCAtMafxn3xtqJFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

https://media.onthemarket.com/properties/6767525/936612370/document-0.pdf

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22258&pos=41309&action=zoom&id=24738

Edited by TedW

Hi Ted, thats fantastic information.  Do you think Steel Farm and Nethergate hall were on and the same building?  I can only find a small smattering of references to Nethergate hall, and most of those are third party sources - nothing in Bradfield archives etc, so one starts to think it was only adopted as a name for Steel farm by historians in 19C and 20C. 

Hello Simonman,

You could well be correct, there are few references to Nethergate Hall, and NONE in Harrison's Survey, and if it was owned by the Lord it would be mentioned there - so possibly its name was Steel Farm. 

The full text regarding Steel Farm is on page 159 of the 1908 transcription:

Mr Rowland Revell holdeth at Will Steele ffarme Over Bracken feild & Hollins ye Wood Banke by ye yearly Rent of xiij£ vjs viijd  {£13  6s 8d}

PARTICULARS  Imprimis A Tenement called Steele farme with a Dwelling house of 3 Bayes an Oxhouse 2 Bayes, & a wainehouse & a peate house 2 little Bayes a Barne 2 Bayes A fold & a Croft lying betweene a Lane East & South & ye Lands of John Wainewright West & abutteth upn Stannington Greene North & cont   1 [acre] 00 [rood] 1 7/10 [perch]

Edited by TedW

Thanks TedW,  Indeed it does look like Nethergate hall.. never really was a place, i've made a connection with the very knowledgeable owner of White House on Nethergate who has a wealth of knowledge about the area, i'm sure he has the detail on this.  Not had chance to meet face to face to discuss it but will do one day i hope.