Jump to content

New Season Start

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:


Well it looks like this thread is full of posters with the 'poor old me' Sheffield mentality...

 

... We can't compete with the best so why even bother making any effort? - let's just come up with any old excuse to try to convince everyone that we're happy and content with where we are.

 

What are load of defeatist nonsense! :rant:

 

How are you ever going to be the best if you don't try? No-one gets things handed to them on a plate. (cue witty replies)

 

You only get better by trying (and failing) - the important thing is to always give it your best shot.

 

Who really cares if you fail miserably as long as you gave it your best effort? You learn from your mistakes and dust yourself down and go again.

 

If you don't even make the effort and are happy to accept second (or third, or fourth) best then you'll never make it to the top and you're a loser before you even start... :roll:(Here endeth the Monday Morning Monologue)

Mr Bloke I do not think you are understanding my point ,I have really loved the last two or three seasons seeing the Blades pull the club around which is down to Wilder and playing brilliant football in the process is out of this world.In the Championship any club with a good manager could do exactly the same as we did  no matter how big their bank balance was.Wilder hardly spent a fortune but because he is good at his job he knew players he could sign for a very small fee and some who cost nothing Fleck, McGoldrick, Duffy,Stevens spring to mind and they all performed superbly.On a very small budget Wilder delivered the goods we could beat any club in that league.

           Nothing would give me greater pleasure if we could repeat that again this year and shoot all the way up to the top of the prem .We still have Wilder and a great team spirit as before so why not?We will still be playing great entertaining footy the Wilder way but there is something that will stop us going all the way to the top.This something was not a issue in the Championship as it will not be for the clubs in the championship this year either.MONEY.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

I think wanting your club to be successful and not liking the Prem don’t have to go hand in hand, it’s a league that’s ripping the heart out of the game at any level other than it’s own, there’s no regard for cup competitions, lower leagues, non league, grass roots football whatsoever despite the money it generates.

 

Its ok saying Burnley, Wolves finished 7th but points wise (particularly Wolves) they were miles off 6th, all they’d done is won a mini league of clubs making the numbers up.

 

All the Prem is interested in is selling the TV rights that the big 6 can garner to the highest bidder, they don’t care about anything else.

 

Id like my club to compete at the top but it’s now unlikely it can ever happen, it’s stagnant and becoming dull.

FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU.It is getting dull because it is predictable I think I am right in thinking there was a big gap point wise between 7th place and 6th (please put me right if wrong)but a recall a big margin between the top places and the clubs who ended up two thirds down the prem which proves what  type of league it has become.Two leagues in one.Just like Scottish football ,I shall do something I said I would never do on here and that is make a prediction Celtic for the Scottish league title.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU.It is getting dull because it is predictable I think I am right in thinking there was a big gap point wise between 7th place and 6th (please put me right if wrong)but a recall a big margin between the top places and the clubs who ended up two thirds down the prem which proves what  type of league it has become.Two leagues in one.Just like Scottish football ,I shall do something I said I would never do on here and that is make a prediction Celtic for the Scottish league title.

And Fort William to finish bottom of the Highland League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Padders said:

And Fort William to finish bottom of the Highland League.

I was waiting for that one padds🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, petcharlie said:

Well  Petre you do not think it is a closed shop?I bet I could name which clubs will fill the top six places next year and i will be 90% right at least .A bit like saying Celtic will be champions in Scotland,

Yes the top five is a closed shop, I meant places below that, six and   (sometimes) seventh place can qualify for Europa league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Yes the top five is a closed shop, I meant places below that, six and   (sometimes) seventh place can qualify for Europa league.

Well yes I can accept that Peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, petcharlie said:

FOR ONCE I AGREE WITH YOU.It is getting dull because it is predictable I think I am right in thinking there was a big gap point wise between 7th place and 6th (please put me right if wrong)but a recall a big margin between the top places and the clubs who ended up two thirds down the prem which proves what  type of league it has become.Two leagues in one.Just like Scottish football ,I shall do something I said I would never do on here and that is make a prediction Celtic for the Scottish league title.

I think there was about 40 points between the top 2 and the rest and about 20 between 6/7th,  ludicrous. When your only real ambition in a season is to stay up to keep your nose in the trough it’s a sorry state of affairs, if you look back after 20 years would you have rather seen your club lift the FA Cup in that time or just cling to the prem by your fingernails, people say the money is good but most goes on over paid players and agents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I think there was about 40 points between the top 2 and the rest and about 20 between 6/7th,  ludicrous. When your only real ambition in a season is to stay up to keep your nose in the trough it’s a sorry state of affairs, if you look back after 20 years would you have rather seen your club lift the FA Cup in that time or just cling to the prem by your fingernails, people say the money is good but most goes on over paid players and agents.

Wigan Athletic won the FA cup and got relegated the same season and they haven't been back to the Prem since or look likely to. The cup is not a bad thing to win, not happened in Sheffield for 80 odd years. Good point from you tho' Brooker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, St Petre said:

Wigan Athletic won the FA cup and got relegated the same season and they haven't been back to the Prem since or look likely to. The cup is not a bad thing to win, not happened in Sheffield for 80 odd years. Good point from you tho' Brooker.

It is a good point but very rarely do you get freak results like Leicester winning the league in a year that saw Chelsea suffering from player power who were favourites to win the league.Chelsea then were the team to beat as Man City are today but they suffered a bit of a mutiny and were having behind the scenes problems but having said that I think it was a one off boost in the arm for the prem it started getting interesting but it was not to last.Normal service resumed the year after.

          As for Wigan winning the cup that was another breath of fresh air but I believe that cup run cost them a place in the prem mainly dew to finances having a smallish squad compared to the big well off clubs.We must also consider at that time the big six were starting to lose interest in the cups They were to busy chasing the cash in Europe and when it came to cup matches they fielded weakened teams made up of fringe players and young lads.I think I am right in saying one of them actually asked to be excused from the cup altogether because they wanted to concentrate on Europe.Because of the big clubs antics regarding cup competitions they have in my opinion cheapened the cup .Long gone have the once great entertaining matches involving the big guys taking on the minnows it takes the big six all their time to turn up for the fixtures and when they do you don't know half the players that they field. Every thing revolves around the big six and if I didn't know better even the decisions by refs seem to favour them to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, petcharlie said:

Mr Bloke I do not think you are understanding my point ,I have really loved the last two or three seasons seeing the Blades pull the club around which is down to Wilder and playing brilliant football in the process is out of this world.In the Championship any club with a good manager could do exactly the same as we did  no matter how big their bank balance was.Wilder hardly spent a fortune but because he is good at his job he knew players he could sign for a very small fee and some who cost nothing Fleck, McGoldrick, Duffy,Stevens spring to mind and they all performed superbly.On a very small budget Wilder delivered the goods we could beat any club in that league.

           Nothing would give me greater pleasure if we could repeat that again this year and shoot all the way up to the top of the prem .We still have Wilder and a great team spirit as before so why not?We will still be playing great entertaining footy the Wilder way but there is something that will stop us going all the way to the top.This something was not a issue in the Championship as it will not be for the clubs in the championship this year either.MONEY.

Exactly. I want Wednesday to do the best they can. If however we can't compete if we go up and come straight down or after a season up there I won't mind at all. I'll support them whatever league we're in but I'm not bothered how long it takes or never happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just can"t wait to see the different times games are going to be ended with VAR ,we use to final score but theres  going to be loads of delays with var being used,like to see the first penalty save and the striker not able to put the ball in the net once the goalkeeper as saved it,hope this season something is done to improve shoving in the box  when corners are about to be taken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hope to God United don't score the first goal of the season, or the first goal given by VAR, or the first offside given by VAR, or the first penalty given by VAR or the first booking given by VAR, or the first sending off, given by VAR, or the first throw - in given by VAR. Blades will take full credit and some non descript player will be lauded for the next 30 years.

Please God:

NO ...ÒOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!

Edited by Hotmale 1954

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.