New Season Start

I have to agree, what is the point  if you are not trying to compete with the best. 

1 hour ago, Moistened said:

Pointless playing for promotion next season then from a SWFC fans perspective by the sound of it. 

The Championship is by far a more competitive and entertaining league, but if you're not going to try to be the best that you can be by being good enough to get out of it, what's the point? 

Would you Owls who despise the PL be happy with finishing 7th for the rest of your lives? 

Fair enough if so. 

Not saying I don't want to go up, the money alone is worth it but being a mid table side or worse year after year doesn't appeal to me. A couple of seasons up there then a season or two back in the championship would do me. 

Maybe either Sheffield side could challenge at least for a European spot but not convinced either have the financial clout to do it

2 hours ago, Moistened said:

Pointless playing for promotion next season then from a SWFC fans perspective by the sound of it. 

The Championship is by far a more competitive and entertaining league, but if you're not going to try to be the best that you can be by being good enough to get out of it, what's the point? 

Would you Owls who despise the PL be happy with finishing 7th for the rest of your lives? 

Fair enough if so. 

Hi moistened i am a blade and has most on here knows i do not like the prem .I understand those on here when they speak about the prem being rubbish.You say they will be happy finishing in 7th in the championship   if the blades finish in 7 place next year i would be over the moon  .We had a great season last year but the prize is disappointing .The top of the prem is a closed shop the top of the championship is not.Your argument about there is no point in only finishing 7 can also be true about about playing in the prem but in the championship it is your choice weather you want to just finish in 7th in the prem you do not have that choice  because of the financial health of your club.We proved in the Championship to be a success that problem is a none issue.

I certainly dont relish finishing 7th,I want to win the league and compete at the highest level.

12 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

Hi moistened i am a blade and has most on here knows i do not like the prem .I understand those on here when they speak about the prem being rubbish.You say they will be happy finishing in 7th in the championship   if the blades finish in 7 place next year i would be over the moon  .We had a great season last year but the prize is disappointing .The top of the prem is a closed shop the top of the championship is not.Your argument about there is no point in only finishing 7 can also be true about about playing in the prem but in the championship it is your choice weather you want to just finish in 7th in the prem you do not have that choice  because of the financial health of your club.We proved in the Championship to be a success that problem is a none issue.

The top of the Prem is not so much a closed shop-well 6th or 7th- as Leicester, Burnley and Wolves could attest and I think about two or three seasons ago Southampton finished around 7th. All a club have to aspire to is finishing higher than Everton, then their in business

3 minutes ago, St Petre said:

The top of the Prem is not so much a closed shop-well 6th or 7th- as Leicester, Burnley and Wolves could attest and I think about two or three seasons ago Southampton finished around 7th. All a club have to aspire to is finishing higher than Everton, then their in business

Well  Petre you do not think it is a closed shop?I bet I could name which clubs will fill the top six places next year and i will be 90% right at least .A bit like saying Celtic will be champions in Scotland,

Hmmm... :huh:

Well it looks like this thread is full of posters with the 'poor old me' Sheffield mentality...

... We can't compete with the best so why even bother making any effort? - let's just come up with any old excuse to try to convince everyone that we're happy and content with where we are.

What are load of defeatist nonsense! :rant:

How are you ever going to be the best if you don't try? No-one gets things handed to them on a plate. (cue witty replies)

You only get better by trying (and failing) - the important thing is to always give it your best shot.

Who really cares if you fail miserably as long as you gave it your best effort? You learn from your mistakes and dust yourself down and go again.

If you don't even make the effort and are happy to accept second (or third, or fourth) best then you'll never make it to the top and you're a loser before you even start... :roll:(Here endeth the Monday Morning Monologue)

14 hours ago, Grappler said:

Is it true that SWFC are starting the new season with these lads as the main sponser on the front of the shirt?

If so, what is going on with them?  (and that is the genuine web site, not messing about)

https://www.uk-k8.com/ 

In a word - no.

I think wanting your club to be successful and not liking the Prem don’t have to go hand in hand, it’s a league that’s ripping the heart out of the game at any level other than it’s own, there’s no regard for cup competitions, lower leagues, non league, grass roots football whatsoever despite the money it generates.

Its ok saying Burnley, Wolves finished 7th but points wise (particularly Wolves) they were miles off 6th, all they’d done is won a mini league of clubs making the numbers up.

All the Prem is interested in is selling the TV rights that the big 6 can garner to the highest bidder, they don’t care about anything else.

Id like my club to compete at the top but it’s now unlikely it can ever happen, it’s stagnant and becoming dull.

11 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Not saying I don't want to go up, the money alone is worth it but being a mid table side or worse year after year doesn't appeal to me. A couple of seasons up there then a season or two back in the championship would do me. 

Maybe either Sheffield side could challenge at least for a European spot but not convinced either have the financial clout to do it

I can't see Wednesday or United spending £40m on a player to be honest, not unless they are in the PL for a few consecutive seasons. Seen today that Everton are looking at splashing £40m on a player, the gulf between the top 7 in the PL and the rest of the teams will just get bigger as the top clubs have the financial clout to just spend freely. There are teams in the PL that are never going to get near winning it or get into Europe and the only thing they can look forward to is having a chance of winning one of the cups.

23 minutes ago, iansheff said:

There are teams in the PL that are never going to get near winning it or get into Europe and the only thing they can look forward to is having a chance of winning one of the cups.

But it can be done Ian..

You never know, 1000-1 shot Leicester..

22 hours ago, Brooker11 said:

The whole of English football is being swallowed up and ruined by that monstrous  league, it holds no appeal for me whatsoever. Let the elite play in a European super league and make what’s left competitive again.

Have you been using my keyboard?? :hihi:

Obviously, I'd love Wednesday to win promotion, one way or another, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing in the Premier League.

I'd be a complete Hypocrite if I did.

It's a Murdoch League, a Tory League, a Billionaire and Multi-Billionaires League.

I despise all 4 of these categories and I really don't want any part of it.

When a player on £40,000 a week moves to another club, purely to 'double my money', then that, to me stinks.

£40,000 A YEAR is pretty good for the majority of people.

I'd rather see 11 Mancs playing for Utd and City, or 22 Scousers representing the Liverpool clubs on good money, not obscene money.

Maybe one day it'll change.

MANAGER'S SPECIAL on Football Heaven, 6pm tonight, Radio Sheffield, 88.6 and 104.1 FM.

Edited by Hotmale 1954