Andy Proudlove

Good Heavens, yes! Not one who will be hung in the Hall of Fame, though.  He roamed the turf with one or two other curiosities, such as Fred McIver.  It was in the Southend Survival season, by which time I think both had departed.

He was quite local, I think -if not Yorkshire, at least Derbyshire.

is he the player who was born in the Wath on Dearne or Mexborough area  and graduated in  football from Wolves' juniors (who the Owls bought him from ) ?

He used to run around a lot and each time he touched the ball -about five times in game- he would pass it backwards.

The very mention of Fred McIver has just put me off my tea !

Many apologies, SP! I'm being unfair to Andy with that association. He came from Buxton and scored 1 goal in 12 games - where would that put him in the all-time aggregate? Not at the bottom!! He left for Norwich City, not a bad destination. The mighty Fred is, obviously, another story.  Hoping you can continue with your tea without further trauma !!

1 minute ago, boldforester said:

Many apologies, SP! I'm being unfair to Andy with that association. He came from Buxton and scored 1 goal in 12 games - where would that put him in the all-time aggregate? Not at the bottom!! He left for Norwich City, not a bad destination. The mighty Fred is, obviously, another story.  Hoping you can continue with your tea without further trauma !!

As for Andy Proudlove, perhaps I'm getting him mixed up with another player. However, one thing Fred can tell his grandkids is that he once scored  for Wednesday against Manchester United at Old Trafford, that was when MU were in the old second division 1974-75 ? The Owls lost that game 3 or 4-1 (I think).

5 hours ago, St Petre said:

As for Andy Proudlove, perhaps I'm getting him mixed up with another player. 

Adam Proudlock?

14 hours ago, St Petre said:

is he the player who was born in the Wath on Dearne or Mexborough area  and graduated in  football from Wolves' juniors (who the Owls bought him from ) ?

He used to run around a lot and each time he touched the ball -about five times in game- he would pass it backwards.

The very mention of Fred McIver has just put me off my tea !

Wath Wanderers was a Wolves nursery club back in the 1950s 1960s. The Dearne Valley would have been a rich source of talent bitd, being a mad football and coal mining area. Weren't daft Wolves. Ron Flowers was one such player who played for Wolves. I actually used to sit next to Steve Daley at school, if anyone remembers him ?

UTB

5 minutes ago, Ridgewalk said:

Wath Wanderers was a Wolves nursery club back in the 1950s 1960s. The Dearne Valley would have been a rich source of talent bitd, being a mad football and coal mining area. Weren't daft Wolves. Ron Flowers was one such player who played for Wolves. I actually used to sit next to Steve Daley at school, if anyone remembers him ?

UTB

My dad (RIP) played in the same Doncaster schoolboys team as Ron Flowers. Ron was originally from Edlington (Don Valley) but was recruited by Wath Wanderers after being released by Donny Rovers.

17 hours ago, hathechewed said:

Anyone remember Andy Proudlove.

Ran around a lot in the corner between the North Stand and East Bank - played left wing but think he was right footed - hard to tell as he didn't touch the ball that often.

1 hour ago, Ridgewalk said:

UTB

Yes Ridgewalk Steve Daley, didn't Malcolm Allison buy him from Wolves for Manchester City for the then highest transfer fee only for Daley to be a failure at Maine Road? A couple of others I recall that started with Wath Wanderers and going to Wolves as juniors were Mexb

rough born Alan Sunderland (Wolves, Arsenal) and Peter Knowles who quit the game for his religious beliefs, not sure if Peter's brother Cyril was at Wath as he went as a kid to Middlesborough and then Spurs.