France To Reintroduce National Service

17 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Retirement age is 67 in the UK.

To work for 50 years one must work from their 17 birthday to their retirement day without break in employment.

That means no unemployment at univeristy/college/training 

No time between employers

No time off to raise kids

I would say this probably applies to less than 10 percent of people.

A lot of people in their mid 60's onwards will have left school at 15 (school leaving age until 1972). Many will have worked pretty much all the time. Time off for kids has never really applied to men in this age group - paternity leave (all 2 weeks) was introduced in 2003 - long after most had started families.

28 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

To work for 50 years one must work from their 17 birthday to their retirement day without break in employment.

I worked for 20 plus years in England and 33 in Canada and have worked for over 60 different companies.I have been laid off a couple of times over here in those recessions of the 80's and 90's but never been sacked ,despite the high number of companies. There are no mandatory retirement ages these days and I only retired because of eye problems at age 69.

16 minutes ago, Longcol said:

A lot of people in their mid 60's onwards will have left school at 15 (school leaving age until 1972). Many will have worked pretty much all the time. Time off for kids has never really applied to men in this age group - paternity leave (all 2 weeks) was introduced in 2003 - long after most had started families.

So women looking after children drops the rate of people working 50 years by half.

Then you have to look at the men.  In 1981, the percentage in employment was 80%, it briefly returned to that in 1990, but has been lower than 80 percent apart from that.

Very few people will work 50 years.

35 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

So women looking after children drops the rate of people working 50 years by half.

Then you have to look at the men.  In 1981, the percentage in employment was 80%, it briefly returned to that in 1990, but has been lower than 80 percent apart from that.

Very few people will work 50 years.

In the future maybe so - in the age range 65 plus then a goodly percentage of men will have - and not all women have had kids by any means.

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

To come out with a statement like that you must have led a sheltered life and perhaps never worked.

We're not talking about gulags. We're talking about community projects, tending parks, urban youth programs, wildlife surveys, chatting with *really* old folks in care homes, helping run village fetes, etc.

Leaving school, and retirement, are both difficult times of transition. There would be a lot these 2 groups could learn and contribute together.

Nor are we talking about much more than a few weeks.

The logistics would be a nightmare, and for that reason, I'm out.

52 minutes ago, ads36 said:

The logistics would be a nightmare, and for that reason, I'm out.

They are if you make something like this compulsory. Anyone who saw YTS up close would know that a compulsory scheme is  doomed to failure.

Make it voluntary and you have a different animal. We already have NCS, I’m surprised that any of those grumbling about our youngsters aren’t aware of that. Extending it would be a good thing, in my opinion.

For those unaware of NCS:

https://www.ncsyes.co.uk/what-is-ncs

6 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

I miss the rise by about 5 months. Score!

Looking at that I’m very likely going to be in 10% that bar about 6 months. And that’s assuming I can afford retirement at 67. A lot of people won’t. My mum chose to work until she was nearly 70, only part time though. Does part time count in your rather arbitrary reckoning?

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

They are if you make something like this compulsory. Anyone who saw YTS up close would know that a compulsory scheme is  doomed to failure.

Make it voluntary and you have a different animal. We already have NCS, I’m surprised that any of those grumbling about our youngsters aren’t aware of that. Extending it would be a good thing, in my opinion.

For those unaware of NCS:

https://www.ncsyes.co.uk/what-is-ncs

Was YTS compulsory?

13 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Was YTS compulsory?

Pretty much, unless you had a private education. Most kids were unemployed and therefore had to do YTS.

8 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Pretty much, unless you had a private education. Most kids were unemployed and therefore had to do YTS.

Are you really sure? You had A-levels at state school, further education colleges. Plenty didn't do YTS and went to state school.

Yes. But if you left school at 16, as most did then, you either worked or went on YTS. Around here, there were very few jobs for school leavers.

I managed a fair few YTS “trainees” back then. It wasn’t easy.

15 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Yes. But if you left school at 16, as most did then, you either worked or went on YTS. Around here, there were very few jobs for school leavers.

I managed a fair few YTS “trainees” back then. It wasn’t easy.

I think it must be a localised thing, or an era thing. I did a yt for a spell and I was the only one of my state school educated crew that did. One or two got jobs, some college, some a levels then uni. Are you going back to the original yts of the 80s? I’m early 90s vintage.

As usual the opening subject as gone off topic.

In respect of proper nation service of 2 years duration, like it used to be in the UK. This is what I am in favour of.

So yes of course you would expect to be paid. 

If ever there came a time when the armed forced were unable to recruit, there would  no longer be a choice.

The letter would be dropping through your letterbox.

Take a moment to be thankfull  that it is not you coming home from Afghanistan in a coffin, like it was a few years ago.