Boris Johnson Wants An Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants, Do You?

Boris Johnson in an answer to a parliamentary question the HoC has reiterated his long standing desire to have an amnesty for (estimated 5,00,000 to 1000,000) illegal immigrants in the UK. 

People in this population cannot contribute to the economy through legal means, and struggle to access services (such as m.h. services if they are suffering trauma).

Do you agree with this policy?

Some say it will send out a signal to others that it will encourage desperate people to make unsafe journeys to the UK exploited by ruthless gangs.

What do you think?

Edited by Mister M

1 minute ago, Mister M said:

Boris Johnson in an answer to a parliamentary question the HoC has reiterated his long standing desire to have an amnesty for (estimated 5,00,000 to 1000,000) illegal immigrants in the UK. 

People in this population cannot contribute to the economy through legal means, and struggle to access services (such as m.h. services if they are suffering trauma).

Do you agree with this policy?

Some say it will send out a signal to others that it will encourage desperate people to make unsafe journeys to the UK exploited by ruthless gangs.

What do you think?

I'd imagine a very very very large percentage of his brexit supporters will not be happy.

A brexiteer in charge was supposed to be sending 'em all back!

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

I'd imagine a very very very large percentage of his brexit supporters will not be happy.

A brexiteer in charge was supposed to be sending 'em all back!

Yes, on the face of it that did seem to be his appeal to the Tory faithful. I think he first mooted this idea when he was mayor of London.

I suppose the idea is that by bringing marginalised people into the system they would be working, paying taxes and less chance of being exploited by ruthless people who wish to do them harm. There is a risk in doing so, others would make an unsafe journey across the Med sea.

Yes. 

As Boris said, the current situation is essentially an amnesty now. I don't believe it would encourage significantly more people to make unsafe journeys to the UK. He isn't saying that there would no longer such a thing as illegal immigration, only that the people already here would be granted amnesty. It could be done in tandem with more to tackle future illegal immigration. 

Sounds like tokenism to me; I'd like to believe it but he's got a long history of lying.

7 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Yes. 

As Boris said, the current situation is essentially an amnesty now. I don't believe it would encourage significantly more people to make unsafe journeys to the UK. He isn't saying that there would no longer such a thing as illegal immigration, only that the people already here would be granted amnesty. It could be done in tandem with more to tackle future illegal immigration. 

That last sentence is rather important, and will involve , I'd suggest, Border Force, getting a big chunk of money and resources. And time. 

No problem with the idea in principle but going at it half cocked could cause as many problems as it solves. The cynic in me sees it as a bit of virtue signalling to our friends in the EU.

1 hour ago, Halibut said:

Sounds like tokenism to me; I'd like to believe it but he's got a long history of lying.

only when his lips are moving.

Yes to an amnesty. It makes sense. It puts people who will potentially make good residents and eventually citizens on the radar.

Do I believe it will happen, or at least happen in any sensible or reasoned way?

Nope

No!

Edited by lazarus

27 minutes ago, lazarus said:

No!

No what?

An amnesty from what? 

They'll come forward and be identified and then offered the chance to go home for some reason or other.

Some of them may deserve to go back home - criminals etc but many of them won't.

Even illegal immigrants make a contribution to society it probably just isn't the type that middle class Britain appreciates or that doesn't for a big headline.

10 hours ago, Halibut said:

oh dear god here we go, he does something you should be applauding and all you can do is snipe?