Dvla Have Deferred My Licence

I've long suspected that an upper-age restriction will eventually be brought in, with licences automatically withdrawn at a certain age.  I haven't my licence to hand, but I know there's an "expiry" date shown on the front, which ties up with the holder's age as opposed to the number of years held.

3 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

I've long suspected that an upper-age restriction will eventually be brought in, with licences automatically withdrawn at a certain age.  I haven't my licence to hand, but I know there's an "expiry" date shown on the front, which ties up with the holder's age as opposed to the number of years held.

Technically that's the upper limit but all that happens is the DVSA send out a form asking the driver if they are still fit to drive. There's no professional medical input. Neither is there a way for the medical profession to inform the DVSA if your ability to drive is impaired through illness/injury. 
 I know of a guy who's had his right arm amputated and hasn't informed the DVSA, despite his doctors telling him he has to. 

I drive for a living. I have had to undergo a full medical to obtain my licence. When I reach 45 I'll have to have the medical again then every 5 years till I'm 65. Beyond 65 they become annual. 

Personally I believe that there should be the following:

1. A requirement to submit eyesight certification when applying for your licence (the eyesight check on your test is useless) & a requirement to submit fresh test results every 5 years max. - This could be achieved electronically. You go get your eyes tested and the opticians enter results online. Generally eyesight tests are recommended every 2 years so results could be continually updated well below the 5 year requirement. 

2. A system for doctors to directly report your ability to drive if an impairment is going to affect you long term. So a week's course of anti-biotics that MAY make you drowsy wouldn't get reported but a new disability such as above would

3. Like a professional driver does, a medical assessment when you reach 45 & then every 10 years until 65 then it drops to every 5 years until 85 at which point it becomes annual. Part of this medical would be some form of hazard perception & reaction test. 

And yes, the driver should fund this. Driving is a privilege not a right. 

9 minutes ago, Resident said:

Technically that's the upper limit but all that happens is the DVSA send out a form asking the driver if they are still fit to drive. There's no professional medical input. Neither is there a way for the medical profession to inform the DVSA if your ability to drive is impaired through illness/injury. 
 I know of a guy who's had his right arm amputated and hasn't informed the DVSA, despite his doctors telling him he has to. 

I drive for a living. I have had to undergo a full medical to obtain my licence. When I reach 45 I'll have to have the medical again then every 5 years till I'm 65. Beyond 65 they become annual. 

Personally I believe that there should be the following:

1. A requirement to submit eyesight certification when applying for your licence (the eyesight check on your test is useless) & a requirement to submit fresh test results every 5 years max. - This could be achieved electronically. You go get your eyes tested and the opticians enter results online. Generally eyesight tests are recommended every 2 years so results could be continually updated well below the 5 year requirement. 

2. A system for doctors to directly report your ability to drive if an impairment is going to affect you long term. So a week's course of anti-biotics that MAY make you drowsy wouldn't get reported but a new disability such as above would

3. Like a professional driver does, a medical assessment when you reach 45 & then every 10 years until 65 then it drops to every 5 years until 85 at which point it becomes annual. Part of this medical would be some form of hazard perception & reaction test. 

And yes, the driver should fund this. Driving is a privilege not a right. 

To be honest the latter part sounds like you are being a bit peeved because you have reporting requirements beyond that of an SDP driver..

1. Thats going to involve more bureacracy and is not needed. Most people get eyeglasses when needed as it's so required for daily life.

2. We have had this for years...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/783444/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/25/new-guidelines-doctors-report-patients-drive

3. for what reason? Again its more unnecessary cost and if thats going to be the case for ordinary car drivers then the requirements for professional drivers shoul be higher - would you say a yearly medical for you and every three months over 65 is reasonable?

4 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

We have that already once you get towards 70 don't we?

Edited by Obelix

24 minutes ago, Obelix said:

To be honest the latter part sounds like you are being a bit peeved because you have reporting requirements beyond that of an SDP driver..

1. Thats going to involve more bureacracy and is not needed. Most people get eyeglasses when needed as it's so required for daily life.

2. We have had this for years...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/783444/assessing-fitness-to-drive-a-guide-for-medical-professionals.pdf

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/25/new-guidelines-doctors-report-patients-drive

3. for what reason? Again its more unnecessary cost and if thats going to be the case for ordinary car drivers then the requirements for professional drivers shoul be higher - would you say a yearly medical for you and every three months over 65 is reasonable?

1. What's more important, less bureaucracy or a life? Maybe if such a system was in place 8 years ago a 16 year old by the name of Cassie McCord would still be alive today, instead of her death leading to new legislation known as Cassie's Law.
I've known people who haven't had their eyes tested AT ALL throughout their lives and still drive. How do they know they have defective sight if they've never been tested. It happened to one of my friends. One night we were driving to an event and he said he couldn't read the sign. I loaned him my glasses and it was a startling revelation to him. He made an appointment the next day and has worn specs ever since. 

2. Explain to me then why it took myself reporting my grandfather, despite his GP agreeing he shouldn't be driving but stating his hands were tied. 

3. Again, what's more important? Medical testing or a life?

Just to reiterate. At 70 the DVSA send the driver a form. It asks a YES/NO question relating to your fitness to drive. The DRIVER is the one that makes that decision and far too often the YES box is ticked when then answer is NO because the driver does not want to give up driving. It should be a 3rd party assessment to prevent the driver making a false declaration as the DVSA does not following up on them. 

Thanks everybody for your comments, a real mixture as I would have expected !

Sat here waiting patiently for either an e mail, letter, telephone call or a bloke in a black outfit with an axe in his hand !!

Tell me folks, is it possible to post on here without being ridiculed ?

28 minutes ago, Runningman said:

Thanks everybody for your comments, a real mixture as I would have expected !

Sat here waiting patiently for either an e mail, letter, telephone call or a bloke in a black outfit with an axe in his hand !!

Tell me folks, is it possible to post on here without being ridiculed ?

No generally you get people with an axe to grind who are incapable of actually reading whats put and when they dont like what is point answer another question entirely with indignation.

1 hour ago, Resident said:

1. What's more important, less bureaucracy or a life? Maybe if such a system was in place 8 years ago a 16 year old by the name of Cassie McCord would still be alive today, instead of her death leading to new legislation known as Cassie's Law.
I've known people who haven't had their eyes tested AT ALL throughout their lives and still drive. How do they know they have defective sight if they've never been tested. It happened to one of my friends. One night we were driving to an event and he said he couldn't read the sign. I loaned him my glasses and it was a startling revelation to him. He made an appointment the next day and has worn specs ever since. 

2. Explain to me then why it took myself reporting my grandfather, despite his GP agreeing he shouldn't be driving but stating his hands were tied. 

3. Again, what's more important? Medical testing or a life?

Just to reiterate. At 70 the DVSA send the driver a form. It asks a YES/NO question relating to your fitness to drive. The DRIVER is the one that makes that decision and far too often the YES box is ticked when then answer is NO because the driver does not want to give up driving. It should be a 3rd party assessment to prevent the driver making a false declaration as the DVSA does not following up on them. 

1. Tricky to say. It's called a balancing act. If you want to move that to the extreme we should get rid of all cars immediatly.

2. I've give you the evidence. Do you agree there is a reporting requirement on GP's now and has been for some time? (and if you have a problem with your GP then please dont go in with your usual attitude it wont help you)

3. Again, it's a balancing act.

I'm glad you agree that the licence expires at 70.

Edited by Obelix

4 hours ago, Obelix said:

We have that already once you get towards 70 don't we?

Yes, we do, but as other posters have written, it's all a bit half-hearted as regards checking whether someone is still fit to drive.

I decided some years ago that 70 would do me nicely - my reactions can't be as fast as once were, mental agility might be fading...and so on.

I've been eking out the car for the past couple of years - hopefully it will last until D-Day!

15 minutes ago, RiffRaff said:

Yes, we do, but as other posters have written, it's all a bit half-hearted as regards checking whether someone is still fit to drive.

I decided some years ago that 70 would do me nicely - my reactions can't be as fast as once were, mental agility might be fading...and so on.

I've been eking out the car for the past couple of years - hopefully it will last until D-Day!

I'm a handful of years away from 70 and still fencing competitively; I drove to France earlier this year for a European Vets Comp. I'll be moving up an age bracket when I hit 70 and intend to carry on fencing until it's no longer viable. I also need to drive to be able to carry the amount of kit required for my sport and will probably either look for something a little less sporty than my Mini Coupe, which is what I use for fencing related trips, or switch to relying on my Jeep which is probably safer.

If my reactions deteriorate at fencing, I can still beat people many, many years younger, my driving reactions will probably go at the same time which is when I'll look to public transport. Having said that, I'm hoping by the time that that comes around autonomous vehicles will be available. 

1 hour ago, max said:

I'm a handful of years away from 70 and still fencing competitively; I drove to France earlier this year for a European Vets Comp. I'll be moving up an age bracket when I hit 70 and intend to carry on fencing until it's no longer viable. I also need to drive to be able to carry the amount of kit required for my sport and will probably either look for something a little less sporty than my Mini Coupe, which is what I use for fencing related trips, or switch to relying on my Jeep which is probably safer.

If my reactions deteriorate at fencing, I can still beat people many, many years younger, my driving reactions will probably go at the same time which is when I'll look to public transport. Having said that, I'm hoping by the time that that comes around autonomous vehicles will be available. 

Hmmm... :huh:

I wouldn't have thought a Mini Coupe was the ideal vehicle for transporting all those heavy gravel boards... :confused:

On 27/07/2019 at 18:26, Mr Bloke said:

I wouldn't have thought a Mini Coupe was the ideal vehicle for transporting all those heavy gravel boards... :confused:

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough but I was referring to the sport of fencing (swords, masks, etc.) but you seem to think I meant erecting fences.

It's an easy mistake to make as, although fencing is one of the earliest Olympic sports, not many people have encountered it. In future, for your sake and others who might be similarly confused, I will always use reference to sword play when referring to fencing (with swords).

23 minutes ago, max said:

I'm sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough but I was referring to the sport of fencing (swords, masks, etc.) but you seem to think I meant erecting fences.

It's an easy mistake to make as, although fencing is one of the earliest Olympic sports, not many people have encountered it. In future, for your sake and others who might be similarly confused, I will always use reference to sword play when referring to fencing (with swords).

... Touché Mr Max, Touché! ;)

2 hours ago, max said:

I think your sense of irony has started to go., 😉