Dogs Free To A Good Home?

I have just lost my oldest jack russel bitch, and my youngest is lost without her, i just wondered if anyone knows where i can get another one from, as im retired now?

There's loads of dog rescues around full of dogs needing homes. They'll charge an adoption fee, but then if you can't afford the fee you can't afford to look after a dog. 

The advantage of using a decent rescue is the dog will be health checked and temperament tested so you have more of an idea of what you're getting and whether it's suitable for you.

Someone randomly giving a dog away for free to a stranger isn't exactly forced to be honest about things, or it could be full of worms and fleas!

Not being able to afford the fee doesn't mean that a person can't afford to look after a pet. Most of the rescues charge far too much and they wonder why people buy dogs from abroad . If they charge less I'm sure they would get more homes for the rescue dogs and if home checked them regularly and unexpectedly they would see if that dog was being looked after 

How much is too much?

Hundreds of pounds may be considered as too much if you want to rescue an abandoned pet, but if I were selling/gifting a dog I would want to be sure the new owner was serious, so if they balk at the idea of parting with a small fee, then I would worry that they would also struggle to care for an animal.

Also, these fees can go towards the upkeep of the the dogs rescue centre, so money well spent.

The fees are pretty reasonable when you think whats included (neutering, chipping, injections, usually 4 weeks insurance etc) plus as Mancmart says the upkeep of the dog while it was in kennels.
Plus more often than not youll have some background history and the kennels will usually take the dog back if it turns out to be unsuitable.

The number of dogs bought from abroad is tiny, but more and more people are rescuing them. Its far more costly than rescuing a local dog tho.

If rescues 'charged' less how would they keep running? They need the money to continue to look after the dogs in their care and rescue more dogs.

Dogs being bought or rescued from abroad is a whole other problem - these practices are putting our country at risk of diseases, not to mention the moral question of whether we should be importing animals when there are tens of thousands already in this country (not carrying foreign diseases!) waiting for homes.

The adoption fees at Rain Rescue (as an example) are in the region of £150-£200. If you can afford to buy dog food, insurance etc on a monthly basis you could easily put that amount aside for a few months to save up the fee before adopting.

If you're trying to say that there's no way someone who can genuinely afford a dog couldn't possibly save up £150.... well, pull the other one. More likely some people want everything instantly with no planning or care.

12 hours ago, Jason302 said:

Not being able to afford the fee doesn't mean that a person can't afford to look after a pet. Most of the rescues charge far too much and they wonder why people buy dogs from abroad . If they charge less I'm sure they would get more homes for the rescue dogs and if home checked them regularly and unexpectedly they would see if that dog was being looked after 

To put things into perspective could you please give an indication of the cost of paying the fee to a charity and the comparative cost of buying a dog from abroad?

Have a look on facebook there are no end of idiots who can't keep their dogs in the house and they end up straying and people trying to find their owners. 

The pound is cheaper than a rescue and often come with a chipping and neutering voucher  which easily covers the £95 fee.