I want a cheap country day out near Sheffield

Sorry, but it is just an old gravel pit with no scenery whatsoever unless you can count the view of the M1.

There must be 2 then, because the one we go to near Kiverton is lovely.

Edale is very much set in farmland, but a walk up the "Pennine Way" will soon see you in open moorland. Burbage is brill, very open with a remote feel to it and some amazing views.

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/mwalker/2005/09/13/burbage_rocks_up.jpg

Stunning - peace, quiet and most importantly rest and looks like I'll have quite a few places to go in the odd spare day.

Edale sounds like it might be a possibility.

easy to get to on the train.

Best thing to do is work up throw this gorge and at the top there's loads of really cool rocks you can jump around on

I can find out more details if you would like

south yorkshire sculpture park is excellent for a day out in the middle of nowhere! I think there are buses that go out there, the website (http://www.ysp.co.uk/view.aspx?id=422) gives a contact number and thre are picnic places as well as a cafe and shop and the acres of parkland and sculptures to see.

Thanks for replies so far. Been to Hathersage several times also Chatsworth (around the grounds), Bakewell, Castleton and first train station after Dore (cant remember what it's called).

I really want to get outside of Sheffield and feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere and at the same time not too far off the beaten track if that's possible.

Edale sounds like it might be a possibility.

Take a picnic down to Wyming Brook (no 51 bus to Lodge moor then 20 mins walk towards Redmires) In the car park follow the path that goes straight down to the brook, and then follow the path down. When you cross the third bridge double back up the other bank until you get to a large flat topped boulder. On a weekday expect to see a few dog walkers (cos it's so accessible), but it's a lovely spot, and the soft roar of the stream drowns out aircraft and traffic noises totally.

Alternatively follow track the from the stepping stones up the hill instead of down the brook, going northeast until the path pulls away from the edge, and you will find another flat topped boulder by the edge, looking out over the the Rivelin valley at treetop level, with a clear view of the sun setting over Bradfield moors at this time of year. Magnificent.

a few pics - http://www.netheredge.com/galleries/wyming_brook_1/

edit --

Where's that and how do I get there?

The Longshaw Estate is a hunting lodge and National Trust property next to the fox house Pub at the bottom of Burbage Brook and the top of Padley Gorge. If you take a 240 or 272 Bus to Bakewell and Castleton respectively and get off at the Fox house Pub, Turn south south at the Junction by the pub and you can enter the estate about 50 yards up on the left. Follow the paths to the Tea shop, then you can either trundle down to the stream and follow it down padley gorge to Grindleford and lower padley, or go up behind the Hunting Lodge and go up through the woods and loop down to the stream and back up to the fox house.

easy to get to on the train.

Best thing to do is work up throw this gorge and at the top there's loads of really cool rocks you can jump around on

I can find out more details if you would like

That would be grand and gratefully appreciated. Thanks

I second the recommendation for the Longshaw estate- it's even got easy paths for those of us less mobile than the average. I escape there pretty regularly.

On the Hope Valley railway line: (from Sheffield station)

Grindleford (for Padley Gorge) £3.05 cheap day return

Hathersage £3.50 cheap day return

Bamford (for bus link to Fairholmes) £3.90 cheap day return

Hope £4.60 cheap day return

Edale (for Pennine Way and bus link to Castleton caverns) £5.55 cheap day return

New Mills Central (for Millenium walkway) £7.90 Derbyshire Wayfarer

On the Stagecoach Rural Links bus 61/62 (from Hillsborough Interchange)

Bradfield £2.70 dayrider

First buses from Sheffield Interchange:

On First bus 240: Fox House, Grindleford, Bakewell

On First bus 218: Owler Bar, Baslow, Bakewell, Buxton

On First bus 272: Fox House, Hathersage, Hope, Castleton

TM Travel bus 65 from Sheffield Interchange

Grindleford, Wardlow Mires, Hucklow, Eyam, Buxton

In some cases a Derbyshire Wayfarer pass might be a good deal. Costs £7.90 for a days travel within Derbyshire by bus and train, also valid on buses and trains between Sheffield and Derbyshire.

Details of public transport within Derbyshire - http://www.derbysbus.net

If you are in Sheffield then it is bonkers to go anywhere East

Ken's customary drivel.

Take a train to Shireoaks (on the Worksop line) and walk back along the Chesterfield Canal to Kiveton Park: as beautiful a country walk as you'll find anywhere. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone this has been a really great help and will keep me busy for a good while trying to make time for the odd day off so I can get out of the city.

How about getting on the tram to Malin Bridge, walking all the way along the Rivelin Valley, then turning right up the hill and over into the Loxley Valley and then back down to Malin Bridge again? There are some pretty good routes out there.

There's also a good round walk from Glen Howe Park at Deepcar which takes you round the reservoir first and then up into the middle of nowhere; it's one of a series of eight 'Walks round Bradfield' leaflets that were produced by the council some time ago, though I don't know whether they're still available.

Received a phone call which has put paid to this plan and instead I'm going to be hot-footing it back down to London via MML :(

And for accuracy's sake the title is wrong. I want a day off in the Sheffield area.