I want a cheap country day out near Sheffield

I want a day out in the country near Sheffield. I have limited funds and dont have a car. I'll be using public transport to get there/back and need to spend as little as possible. I'd be very interested in possible suggestions

Thanks

Rother valley country park sounds ideal for what your after- lovely scenery and really nice!

Longshaws estate, near Fox House would be a possibility.

You could get the Stanage bus from Sheffield to Hathersage... via Burbage Moor and Stanage Edge...

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&GridE=-1.64940&GridN=53.36350&lon=-1.64940&lat=53.36350&place=Stanage%20Edge%2C%20South%20Yorkshire&db=freegaz&scale=100000&search_result=Stanage%20Edge%2C%20South%20Yorkshire&lang=&keepicon=true

Timetable here:

http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/index/looking-after/stanage/stanage-news/stanage-bus.htm

Also, you could also consider getting a direct train to either Hathersage or Edale (The indirect 'slower' Manchester train) from Sheffield train station. Some brilliant countryside/wide open moorland for you to explore!

Don't forget ya' packed lunch.

Bradfield? Depending where you are, you walk all or part of the way. There's a couple of nice pubs for lunch, or take a picnic. There's usually an ice cream van. It's a nice easy (shady) walk round Dam Flask too.

Bakewell isn't that far and it's not dear on the bus.....

Thanks for replies so far. Been to Hathersage several times also Chatsworth (around the grounds), Bakewell, Castleton and first train station after Dore (cant remember what it's called).

I really want to get outside of Sheffield and feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere and at the same time not too far off the beaten track if that's possible.

Edale sounds like it might be a possibility.

Longshaws estate, near Fox House would be a possibility.

Where's that and how do I get there?

Rother valley country park sounds ideal for what your after- lovely scenery and really nice!

Sorry, but it is just an old gravel pit with no scenery whatsoever unless you can count the view of the M1. If you are in Sheffield then it is bonkers to go anywhere East when you can go west and onto the moors. I go to Rother Valley sometimes because the kids like to ride bikes round the lake, but I live that side if the city and it is quick to get to by car.

do what my sister does, go out with no money that's always cheap

Thanks for replies so far. Been to Hathersage several times also Chatsworth (around the grounds), Bakewell, Castleton and first train station after Dore (cant remember what it's called).

I really want to get outside of Sheffield and feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere and at the same time not too far off the beaten track if that's possible.

Edale sounds like it might be a possibility.

Edale is very much set in farmland, but a walk up the "Pennine Way" will soon see you in open moorland. Burbage is brill, very open with a remote feel to it and some amazing views.

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/mwalker/2005/09/13/burbage_rocks_up.jpg

if cost is a factor it's generally cheaper to travel within South Yorkshire rather than go out into Derbyshire as Sypte subsidise the fares.

Bearing that in mind, why not take a train to Penistone or Denby Dale and walk between the two? Not only is the scenery wonderful but because it's away from the tourist honeypots, it'll be far less crowded.