Jump to content
Fancy running a forum? Sheffield Forum is for sale! Learn more

Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

Recommended Posts

Looking through the timetable link, seems the 32 is still running but avoiding Shirecliffe. So which bus goes through Shirecliffe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

Looking through the timetable link, seems the 32 is still running but avoiding Shirecliffe. So which bus goes through Shirecliffe?

Not sure what timetable you've looked at, but the new 32 timetable route description shows it running the same route through Shirecliffe as present. Infact between City and Parson Cross it will be the same route, with the exception it will now start/terminate at Pond Street Bus Station and run via Flat Street rather than Arundel Gate.

Edited by Michael_N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh thanks, I didn't see that. I looked at the link that Andy C put on at the start of this thread, it says the 32 no longer goes on Herries Road. I wonder if the service will be more frequent now First are taking it over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing, they are changing the 98 route to every half an hour from every twenty minutes which  again is a nonsense. This bus serves quite a few areas and to be only half hourly at peak times is ridiculous. I guess they won't be satisfied until Sheffield 5 has no bus service whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Retro Queen said:

Another thing, they are changing the 98 route to every half an hour from every twenty minutes which  again is a nonsense. This bus serves quite a few areas and to be only half hourly at peak times is ridiculous. I guess they won't be satisfied until Sheffield 5 has no bus service whatsoever.

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

 

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

Edited by Andy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Andy C said:

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

 

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

The new timetables don’t seem to be on the website yet, does anyone know what time “evening” starts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have heard first buses are being sold off soon,that will make even more changes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Andy C said:

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

 

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

Where I live I can only get the 98 as the 97 doesn't run on my route. I live on Scraithwood and catch the bus at the Wordsworth Avenue bus stop. This morning the bus failed to turn up and when there is only one every half hour at peak times when people have to go work is a joke. 

 

Also can you confirm if the 32 and 18 buses are going to be a better service once they are changed? I have the option of getting a bus to Hillsborough and a tram to town but if the 18 buses are going to be every hour, as I have heard, its going to be more of a farce. If the 32 runs regularly, like it did years ago when it was the number 7, then I will use that route again.

 

Its OK the companies saying that certain routes aren't used much but not everyone has a car and can afford taxis all the time so need a reliable bus service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

Where I live I can only get the 98 as the 97 doesn't run on my route. I live on Scraithwood and catch the bus at the Wordsworth Avenue bus stop. This morning the bus failed to turn up and when there is only one every half hour at peak times when people have to go work is a joke. 

 

Also can you confirm if the 32 and 18 buses are going to be a better service once they are changed? I have the option of getting a bus to Hillsborough and a tram to town but if the 18 buses are going to be every hour, as I have heard, its going to be more of a farce. If the 32 runs regularly, like it did years ago when it was the number 7, then I will use that route again.

 

Its OK the companies saying that certain routes aren't used much but not everyone has a car and can afford taxis all the time so need a reliable bus service.

Therein lies the problem.

It's not a service anymore, it's a business.

In order to be a service again it needs to be re-nationalised.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Andy C said:

97 and 98 combined is every 15 minutes as the two are co-ordinated on the common sections of route. Apparently  the cut is down to insufficient numbers of paying passengers using the service for the current level of service to be financially viable.

 

Another cut to flag up is the evening service on the 25 and 86 - these tenders get public subsidy for the Woodhouse and Chapeltown end of the route but not the Bradway/Lowedges end, so when First take over the evening services in September the Lowedges end will no longer run in the evening leaving the 24 and 76 as the only buses to Lowedges/Bradway in the evening with Hutcliffe Wood/Archer Road no longer getting a bus.

Wow that’s grim news about the 86 stagecoach run a great  service at night and on Sunday nearly always  on time and nice new buses too having no service in the evening for Hutcliffe wood is bad news for me.Is there any more information on times yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New timetables will be linked at https://travelsouthyorkshire.com/servicechanges/ as they become available 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2019 at 16:46, Wazzock said:

Therein lies the problem.

It's not a service anymore, it's a business.

In order to be a service again it needs to be re-nationalised.

 

Nationalisation will only help if public funding is found

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.