Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

6 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

This maybe so but how are people supposed to get about if they don't have a car?

Walk/taxi/adjust to whatever restricted bus services survive/move home. Not trying to be flippant but no-one can automatically expect general taxation to provide for their every transport need (wherever they live) where these .services cannot be provided on a commercial basis. 

I don't drive (and at my age certainly have no wish to learn) and I'm less and less good at walking up hills. I'm starting to rely on buses for short trips I would have walked two years ago. If those buses are cut I'll have to revert to walking or pay for taxis (partly financed by the £64.90 I pay every 28 days for a Citywide ticket). I wouldn't expect others to pay more in taxes to subsidise my transport needs

you are right Martin - I used to use the 261 often just being lazy but there were rarely more than 2 other people on the bus which made it an expensive luxury it now runs as the 58 and less frequently round Wadlsley park and you can hardly blame them for reducing the service

19 hours ago, Martin C said:

Walk/taxi/adjust to whatever restricted bus services survive/move home. Not trying to be flippant but no-one can automatically expect general taxation to provide for their every transport need (wherever they live) where these .services cannot be provided on a commercial basis. 

I don't drive (and at my age certainly have no wish to learn) and I'm less and less good at walking up hills. I'm starting to rely on buses for short trips I would have walked two years ago. If those buses are cut I'll have to revert to walking or pay for taxis (partly financed by the £64.90 I pay every 28 days for a Citywide ticket). I wouldn't expect others to pay more in taxes to subsidise my transport needs

Sorry but I disagree. Buses should be there for the public.  People don't want to move house just because of the bus service, maybe they can't afford to aswell as don't want to.

Also, using taxis instead of buses works out more expensive and not everyone wants to walk miles.

2 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

Sorry but I disagree. Buses should be there for the public.  People don't want to move house just because of the bus service, maybe they can't afford to aswell as don't want to.

Also, using taxis instead of buses works out more expensive and not everyone wants to walk miles.

I agree. I can’t, as opposed to ‘less and less good ‘, walk up hills and can only afford a couple of taxis home weekly at the most. I love the SCC bungalow and area where I live and have really good neighbours. If I want to

move for mobility reasons I will have one offer-possibly an area I don’t know in a high rise flat with a lift with a bus service that may be cut in the future ‘cos concession pass users have been rehoused there. I live in an inner city area with a lot of SCC accommodated elderly and disabled people  housed ‘up hill’. Martin C- your ‘solutions ‘ are unrealistic and demonstrate a lack of understanding 

9 hours ago, catmiss said:

I agree. I can’t, as opposed to ‘less and less good ‘, walk up hills and can only afford a couple of taxis home weekly at the most. I love the SCC bungalow and area where I live and have really good neighbours. If I want to

move for mobility reasons I will have one offer-possibly an area I don’t know in a high rise flat with a lift with a bus service that may be cut in the future ‘cos concession pass users have been rehoused there. I live in an inner city area with a lot of SCC accommodated elderly and disabled people  housed ‘up hill’. Martin C- your ‘solutions ‘ are unrealistic and demonstrate a lack of understanding 

Sure buses should be there for the public BUT not as a taxi service there is not an unlimited sum of money although  I suppose we could stop the refuse collections to pay for more buses or close a couple of schools but I am sure there would be some who might then complain.

having been on many buses that are empty or virtually empty then if the public don't use them they have every right to withdraw them. Sure they may get it wrong sometimes and sure the bus companies may play the game and provide such an unreliable service that people do not use it but the idea that we have a right to have a bus when and were we want it is over the top

8 hours ago, amnicoll said:

Sure buses should be there for the public BUT not as a taxi service there is not an unlimited sum of money although  I suppose we could stop the refuse collections to pay for more buses or close a couple of schools but I am sure there would be some who might then complain.

having been on many buses that are empty or virtually empty then if the public don't use them they have every right to withdraw them. Sure they may get it wrong sometimes and sure the bus companies may play the game and provide such an unreliable service that people do not use it but the idea that we have a right to have a bus when and were we want it is over the top

It can hardly be called expecting  a taxi service.  People wanting a reasonable bus service is not an unreasonable request.  Buses have always rode around Sheffield so why they should be cut is beyond me. Some routes have more buses than needed and other routes neglected, where is the fairness in that?

No matter where you live people want to go out shopping, go to work, get around in general and shouldn't be penalised for wanting to just live their lives.

8 hours ago, amnicoll said:

17 hours ago, catmiss said:

I totally agree. Why should you leave the home you love, the neighbours you get on  with and the area where you want to stay just because the bus service decides to take the Mickey? Why should you move to an area you don't know and don't want to go to? I agree too about some of the solutions on here being unrealistic and a lack of understanding. How the hell can expecting a good bus service (which we pay for by the way) be demanding that a bus turns up as and when you want it to.

And before anyone says anything about pensioners not having to pay bus fares, don't you think they deserve it after working for most of their lives?

6 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

It can hardly be called expecting  a taxi service.  People wanting a reasonable bus service is not an unreasonable request.  Buses have always rode around Sheffield so why they should be cut is beyond me. Some routes have more buses than needed and other routes neglected, where is the fairness in that?

No matter where you live people want to go out shopping, go to work, get around in general and shouldn't be penalised for wanting to just live their lives.

I totally agree. Why should you leave the home you love, the neighbours you get on  with and the area where you want to stay just because the bus service decides to take the Mickey? Why should you move to an area you don't know and don't want to go to? I agree too about some of the solutions on here being unrealistic and a lack of understanding. How the hell can expecting a good bus service (which we pay for by the way) be demanding that a bus turns up as and when you want it to.

And before anyone says anything about pensioners not having to pay bus fares, don't you think they deserve it after working for most of their lives?

I don’t expect a ‘taxi service’ from a bus service and the previous 31 was not without problems. I’d quite happily accept an hourly service that ran more or less to time on the 31 route between 8 & 6.30 for workers and people like me. A lot of concession pass holders have said they would pay a top up fare to maintain a service but this suggestion has been rejected. Even people on the new 135 service have given up on it as it is frequently late, missing or takes a different route according to the driver’s whim. One elderly lady last week travelling from Hillsborough to the estate ended up in town because the driver, 40 minutes late, bypassed the route around lower Walkley and Upperthorpe to make up time. Not the driver’s fault - a bus from Rotherham to Sheffield is always going to be late and drivers under pressure to get back on track. 

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

I don’t expect a ‘taxi service’ from a bus service and the previous 31 was not without problems. I’d quite happily accept an hourly service that ran more or less to time on the 31 route between 8 & 6.30 for workers and people like me. A lot of concession pass holders have said they would pay a top up fare to maintain a service but this suggestion has been rejected. Even people on the new 135 service have given up on it as it is frequently late, missing or takes a different route according to the driver’s whim. One elderly lady last week travelling from Hillsborough to the estate ended up in town because the driver, 40 minutes late, bypassed the route around lower Walkley and Upperthorpe to make up time. Not the driver’s fault - a bus from Rotherham to Sheffield is always going to be late and drivers under pressure to get back on track. 

It was someone else on here that suggested people see it as a taxi service. I agree though that I wouldn't mind paying the fare if buses were more regular. My buses seem more regular than they are where you live but one every half an hour isn't great on a main road like Herries Road that services a lot of estates.

16 hours ago, catmiss said:

Even people on the new 135 service have given up on it as it is frequently late, missing or takes a different route according to the driver’s whim. One elderly lady last week travelling from Hillsborough to the estate ended up in town because the driver, 40 minutes late, bypassed the route around lower Walkley and Upperthorpe to make up time. Not the driver’s fault - a bus from Rotherham to Sheffield is always going to be late and drivers under pressure to get back on track. 

Unfortunately the Upperthorpe part of the route was thrust upon First with little notice by the PTE. 

PTE gave no thought to the buses First operate. The previous operator used 25 seat, 27ft long buses and often struggled due to cars being parked irresponsibly. 

First have nothing smaller than 37ft. 

In terms of route skipping. Drivers don't have the authority or autonomy to adjust routes so they will have had contact from control room to do so. 

However I  believe in the case of Whitehouse Rd there is a standing order that if it looks impassable then they can divert straight down instead of using Whitehouse. Again usually the issue is parked cars. 

Has someone finally seen sense and rerouted the 135  in Walkley? Saw one heading up WhitehouseLane last night instead of squeezing up Whitehouse Road. 

2 hours ago, bluecanary said:

Has someone finally seen sense and rerouted the 135  in Walkley? Saw one heading up WhitehouseLane last night instead of squeezing up Whitehouse Road. 

Officially no. However it's likely the driver did the route in the opposing direction and saw W/H Rd was blocked or was informed by another driver. 

The issue with parked cars on Whitehouse Rd, exactly the same as Carr Rd for 31 route, was highlighted when the proposed route was announced but was dismissed out of hand. I understand drivers may be directed ‘off route’ for various reasons but on a usually significantly late hourly service people can be left waiting hours for a bus.