Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

hard to believe that they are applying the ban to buses yes we all want to see less polluting buses but this will be an open goal just waiting to be scored

do I replace a bus that works perfectly well and is at best making a tiny profit with an expensive new bus or do I just say sorry I am going to withdraw the bus and you can use the car or don't travel

One thing is certain if the council owned and operated the buses a different decision would be taken

Bring back Sheffield Transport Department  and a proper bus service.🙄

6 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Bring back Sheffield Transport Department  and a proper bus service.🙄

NOOOOO!

11 hours ago, Louby62 said:

What a bloody farse & mess have been made with the buses. Get rid of FIRST.

Do you think Stagecoach is any better? 

Go into any town/city where Stagecoach is the dominant bus company and you'll hear every complaint you have about First. 

As RollingJ stated most of the issues are outside of he control of bus companies. 

One major issue that is affecting them all is a lack of staff. Surely you've seen every company is constantly advertising for new recruits?

34 minutes ago, Resident said:

Do you think Stagecoach is any better? 

Go into any town/city where Stagecoach is the dominant bus company and you'll hear every complaint you have about First. 

As RollingJ stated most of the issues are outside of he control of bus companies. 

One major issue that is affecting them all is a lack of staff. Surely you've seen every company is constantly advertising for new recruits?

Good, hopefully the SCT drivers who were made redundant will be able to find other jobs. With a few exceptions those drivers were very friendly, knew their regulars and provided a real community service environment despite some short comings in the service. I wonder how long it will take them to take on the rude and embittered attitude of most of the drivers of the larger companies 

On 30/09/2019 at 00:49, catmiss said:

You only go out for essential journeys to doctors, dentists, opticians etc. and the weekly shop. At £5 for the taxi up hill home I can’t afford any other outings. Before anyone suggests internet shopping I can’t spend enough weekly to qualify and no room to store more infrequent shops. Any non essential activities, ie social or leisure, have gone. I’ve heard of people experiencing this in rural communities but in a city like Sheffield!

I find this appalling that people are restricted going out unless they pay for a taxi because of the bus service. Surely this needs addressing.

It does but who by? SYPTE and First are only concerned with financial viability. Councillors and MPs cite lack of funds to support services predominantly used by concession passengers. The Mayor’s office response showed a lack of awareness of the area and pointed me to the availability of a Tuesday morning Community Transport bus to and from Morrisons. All this seems at odds with campaigns to address loneliness and isolation and to promote the Green agenda.  We hear a lot about villages being isolated by withdrawal of bus services but this is happening in an inner city area populated by a lot of elderly and or disabled people and no-one seems to care

9 hours ago, catmiss said:

It does but who by? SYPTE and First are only concerned with financial viability. Councillors and MPs cite lack of funds to support services predominantly used by concession passengers. The Mayor’s office response showed a lack of awareness of the area and pointed me to the availability of a Tuesday morning Community Transport bus to and from Morrisons. All this seems at odds with campaigns to address loneliness and isolation and to promote the Green agenda.  We hear a lot about villages being isolated by withdrawal of bus services but this is happening in an inner city area populated by a lot of elderly and or disabled people and no-one seems to care

I am not surprised by the mayors response he is a typical politician fine words but..................................

have a look at his transport strategy that was published in December last year and ask yourself what chance there is of achieving it. We need someone who knows about how to run and organise public transport and has a vision grounded in reality and the funding envelope

Of course First and Stagecoach are concerned about financial issues they are private companies contracted to run specified services and one should (assuming they adhere to their contracts) be looking at the PTE (and mayor) for culpability

12 hours ago, catmiss said:

A community bus to Morrisons is OK but what about the rest of time. People don't want to be stuck in 24/7 because they can't get a bus. What about people who are working too in these restricted areas, how do they get to work if they don't have a car?

My area is frustrating with the buses, once every half an hour but at least we get a service.

You are right in saying that all First care about is the financial aspect, whereas years ago when bus fares were cheap and services were good, it was all about the public.

5 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

A community bus to Morrisons is OK but what about the rest of time. People don't want to be stuck in 24/7 because they can't get a bus. What about people who are working too in these restricted areas, how do they get to work if they don't have a car?

My area is frustrating with the buses, once every half an hour but at least we get a service.

You are right in saying that all First care about is the financial aspect, whereas years ago when bus fares were cheap and services were good, it was all about the public.

You do realise if a company doesn't make money or at least break even it goes bankrupt. 

You know, like Thomas Cook..... 

Also 'years ago' SYPTE had an almost limitless budget to pay for tendered services because the then Labour controlled government just kept spending money the country didn't have, lending from other nations to prop up the spending, the true cause of the current austerity measures. 

Edited by Resident

58 minutes ago, Resident said:

You do realise if a company doesn't make money or at least break even it goes bankrupt. 

You know, like Thomas Cook..... 

Also 'years ago' SYPTE had an almost limitless budget to pay for tendered services because the then Labour controlled government just kept spending money the country didn't have, lending from other nations to prop up the spending, the true cause of the current austerity measures. 

This maybe so but how are people supposed to get about if they don't have a car?