Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

18 hours ago, Resident said:

Unfortunately the Upperthorpe part of the route was thrust upon First with little notice by the PTE. 

PTE gave no thought to the buses First operate. The previous operator used 25 seat, 27ft long buses and often struggled due to cars being parked irresponsibly. 

First have nothing smaller than 37ft. 

In terms of route skipping. Drivers don't have the authority or autonomy to adjust routes so they will have had contact from control room to do so. 

However I  believe in the case of Whitehouse Rd there is a standing order that if it looks impassable then they can divert straight down instead of using Whitehouse. Again usually the issue is parked cars. 

Did the PTE hold a gun to Firsts head and force them to run a service for which they did not have appropriate buses what gross incompetence

8 hours ago, amnicoll said:

Did the PTE hold a gun to Firsts head and force them to run a service for which they did not have appropriate buses what gross incompetence

You'd be surprised the power that PTE hold. They're the ones that pay bus companies for tendered services etc. Money that the companies desperately need at the moment.

What is the point of power if you do not use it sensibly.

No doubt someone will decide that best solution will be to make Whitehouse Rd  bus only rather than ensure the appropriate buses are used on the route

1 hour ago, amnicoll said:

What is the point of power if you do not use it sensibly.

No doubt someone will decide that best solution will be to make Whitehouse Rd  bus only rather than ensure the appropriate buses are used on the route

And who is going to buy these mythical 'appropriate' buses? 

As stated previously even the smallest buses in use by companies (Optare Solo) struggled on Whitehouse Rd. 

if the smaller buses had problems then why on earth would they for First to run large buses which will have even more problems. Why did they not leave the contract where it was or give it to a company with smaller buses

Guest busdriver1
5 hours ago, amnicoll said:

if the smaller buses had problems then why on earth would they for First to run large buses which will have even more problems. Why did they not leave the contract where it was or give it to a company with smaller buses

They award tenders on a cost basis, operators indicate what type of vehicles they plan to use and the decision is made. SYPTE are facing severe financial difficulties to the degree I believe they have even cut back on "fact finding" visits.  At the end of the day, if the locals park in such a way that a bus ( same size as a fire engine) can not get through perhaps the locals need to look at why their buses sometimes cant get through.

3 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

They award tenders on a cost basis, operators indicate what type of vehicles they plan to use and the decision is made. SYPTE are facing severe financial difficulties to the degree I believe they have even cut back on "fact finding" visits.  At the end of the day, if the locals park in such a way that a bus ( same size as a fire engine) can not get through perhaps the locals need to look at why their buses sometimes cant get through.

👍

Unfortunately those locals affluent enough to own cars don't give a whotsit about those who rely on buses.  Parking within six feet of their front door minimises the distance they have to waddle their not inconsiderable posteriors and that's all that matters. 

so cost is the only consideration well that explains why there are so many complaints only the worst companies would only use cost as the only basis to award a contract

Edited by amnicoll

Looks like Killamarsh will see a further reduction in buses in the new year and a good addition to journey time for anyone coming into Chesterfield en route from there.  I cant help but think Stagecoach Chesterfield are trying out a new strategy here, we suddenly have links to all sorts of cities, outlying shopping centres etc whilst services into town seem to be reducing at a rapid rate..which probably signs the times of our town centres   https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/yorkshire/proposed-changes-in-chesterfield-jan-2020?amp;amp;amp;dm_i=50SA,3BM2,LHPFO,B6OV,1

97/98 to/from Totley.

We're now x5 weeks into the new T/T  and the service has not improved, actually it's got worse!'

I informally monitor the service and last Thursday (3/10/19) late afternoon, 'First scored a first!' On the journey from sthe City to the Totley stops, there were x3 buses playing cat and mouse a with an additional cat or mouse. Two 97's and one 98 all at the same, how do they manage to achieve such efficiency? Two buses running together are common on this route but three!

Today (9.10.19) I went out to get the 13:15 bus  to the City. It didn't show up, neither did the 13:31. The 218 (from Bakewell) arrived on time but I didn't get on it because it was being followed by a First bus which I assumed was one of the missing 97/98's. Wrong, when it drove past it said on the banner, 'Sorry not in service'.  A 97 arrived at 13:55, however it was so full that another person and I had to stand until a couple of school kids offered us a seat. While waiting I also noticed a 97 nd 98 going towards the Totley stops playing cat and mouse!

What are the excuses going to be this time?; 'Road works at the other end of the service.' 'A lack of buses.' 'A lack of drivers!' 'Managers who haven't got a clue.' or a public transport (privately owned) system which is not fit for purpose?

Wazzie Worrall

47 minutes ago, Paul Worrall said:

97/98 to/from Totley.

We're now x5 weeks into the new T/T  and the service has not improved, actually it's got worse!'

I informally monitor the service and last Thursday (3/10/19) late afternoon, 'First scored a first!' On the journey from sthe City to the Totley stops, there were x3 buses playing cat and mouse a with an additional cat or mouse. Two 97's and one 98 all at the same, how do they manage to achieve such efficiency? Two buses running together are common on this route but three!

Today (9.10.19) I went out to get the 13:15 bus  to the City. It didn't show up, neither did the 13:31. The 218 (from Bakewell) arrived on time but I didn't get on it because it was being followed by a First bus which I assumed was one of the missing 97/98's. Wrong, when it drove past it said on the banner, 'Sorry not in service'.  A 97 arrived at 13:55, however it was so full that another person and I had to stand until a couple of school kids offered us a seat. While waiting I also noticed a 97 nd 98 going towards the Totley stops playing cat and mouse!

What are the excuses going to be this time?; 'Road works at the other end of the service.' 'A lack of buses.' 'A lack of drivers!' 'Managers who haven't got a clue.' or a public transport (privately owned) system which is not fit for purpose?

Wazzie Worrall

I get the 98 from Herries Road/Wordsworth Avenue. So far its turned up OK at this end but often in town it just disappears or a bus comes saying 'Sorry not in service' so I just go shopping rather than wait another half hour at the bus stop.

I agree its a crap service. Once every half hour for a bus in a major city like Sheffield is just a joke.