Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

15 hours ago, taxman said:

Here is a link to the the NEW timetable. If you are having trouble clicking on links I will copy and paste what it says.

Stopping points for service 95

Pond Street  Furnival Street  Furnival Gate  Charter Row  West Street  Glossop Road

Could that be any clearer?

So yes, I feel justified in gesticulating to the bus driver who either by idiocy, lack of training or sheer bloody mindedness chose not to stop at Furnival Gate.

As I've stated First nor the driver are responsible for producing public literature. 

The literature has an error by including Charter Row because the bus turns right before any OFFICIAL bus stop on that stretch of the road. 

The TEMPORARY stop is soon being removed. The permanent pole has already gone. Drivers have been instructed not to stop there anymore except for a few select services, 95 isn't one of the select. 

So justify ABUSING someone for doing as their employer and the PTE have instructed and not chastising the organisation that made the error. 

How long did it take for drivers and subsequently First to highlight the error? I would have thought it would have become apparent on the first day , notices applied to stops and drivers instructed to give information or is that just me expecting decent customer services 

The temporary stop is being removed? I assumed they were just waiting for a permanent pole/shelter to be installed. It’s got the textured pavement and a pull-in space for the bus. Why on earth would they remove it? (I’m not doubting Resident BTW, just questioning the sense behind the decision)

13 hours ago, catmiss said:

How long did it take for drivers and subsequently First to highlight the error? I would have thought it would have become apparent on the first day , notices applied to stops and drivers instructed to give information or is that just me expecting decent customer services 

PTE/TSY have been notified. Ball is in their court. As previously stated they are the ones that decide which stops are in operation & also the ones that produce the literature. 

7 hours ago, northernboy said:

The temporary stop is being removed? I assumed they were just waiting for a permanent pole/shelter to be installed. It’s got the textured pavement and a pull-in space for the bus. Why on earth would they remove it? (I’m not doubting Resident BTW, just questioning the sense behind the decision)

As far as I am aware it was only ever meant to be temporary. 

It's never been painted up as a bus stop and has only ever been used as an alighting stop. 

15 hours ago, catmiss said:

Decent customer service? SYPTE is a public sector organisation....

That said First haven't produced new maps for their website as yet and the old route is still advertised!

The buses for Sheffield network map for North Sheffield shows the 95/95a stop at Moorhead being MH3, just before the junction with Pinstone Street.

Edited by Andy C

6 hours ago, Andy C said:

Decent customer service? SYPTE is a public sector organisation....

That said First haven't produced new maps for their website as yet and the old route is still advertised!

The buses for Sheffield network map for North Sheffield shows the 95/95a stop at Moorhead being MH3, just before the junction with Pinstone Street.

Not sure what’s meant by the Public sector organisation comment re good customer service. I’m sure they will have protocols/charters/commitments etc but that doesn’t always transfer into actions or do you mean I’m a fool to expect customer service from such an organisation?

16 hours ago, Resident said:

PTE/TSY have been notified. Ball is in their court. As previously stated they are the ones that decide which stops are in operation & also the ones that produce the literature. 

As far as I am aware it was only ever meant to be temporary. 

It's never been painted up as a bus stop and has only ever been used as an alighting stop. 

Well I’ve definitely caught buses from that stop, but maybe I shouldn’t have! They all stopped and let me get on anyway. Ah well, it’s a minor inconvenience compared to the desecration of some other routes.

13 hours ago, catmiss said:

Not sure what’s meant by the Public sector organisation comment re good customer service. I’m sure they will have protocols/charters/commitments etc but that doesn’t always transfer into actions or do you mean I’m a fool to expect customer service from such an organisation?

Nothing to do whatsoever with being in the private or public sector it is the attitude from the top that drives good or bad customer service and unfortunately SYPTE does not care in the least about its customers. There are all sorts of targets and the like but many organisations can play fast and loose with them if they want to game the system.

Can someone please tell me who to complain to about our appalling bus service. 

We now have only an hourly bus into the City centre from where I live. 

On Saturday the bus number 135 didn't arrive. After waiting twenty minutes I decided to walk from Main Street down Norfolk Hill to Halifax Road to catch the 86, which fortunately came on time. If it hadn't I would have missed my train.

Fortunately on my return the bus turned up, which was a relief because I didn't wish to catch the 86 again which is long walk uphill from where I live especially carrying baggage. 

So I want to complain, preferably in writing. Not just for my own benefit, but also on behalf of others who are experiencing the disruption, especially those who are elderly and find it difficult to walk far especially up and down steep hills, and for those who are struggling to get to work

Recently I was told by someone that people had been walking from the top of Grenoside village in the mornings to get the number 86 on Halifax Rd which was arriving from Chapeltown too full to let them on. Its disgusting. 

2 hours ago, janie48 said:

Can someone please tell me who to complain to about our appalling bus service. 

We now have only an hourly bus into the City centre from where I live. 

On Saturday the bus number 135 didn't arrive. After waiting twenty minutes I decided to walk from Main Street down Norfolk Hill to Halifax Road to catch the 86, which fortunately came on time. If it hadn't I would have missed my train.

Fortunately on my return the bus turned up, which was a relief because I didn't wish to catch the 86 again which is long walk uphill from where I live especially carrying baggage. 

So I want to complain, preferably in writing. Not just for my own benefit, but also on behalf of others who are experiencing the disruption, especially those who are elderly and find it difficult to walk far especially up and down steep hills, and for those who are struggling to get to work

Recently I was told by someone that people had been walking from the top of Grenoside village in the mornings to get the number 86 on Halifax Rd which was arriving from Chapeltown too full to let them on. Its disgusting. 

You'll find most of the cuts/changes have been down to SYPTE tendered service contracts coming up for renewal, these are the routes that aren't commercially viable but receive a public subsidy to operate on the basis that they are economically or socially important to the communities they serve. Unfortunately due to government austerity policy, public sector organisations and local authorities, including SYPTE, have had repeated budget cuts.

There is also the additional issue of the Senior/Disabled free travel scheme not being properly funded by government, this is hitting both tendered and commercial services. Politicians not addressing road traffic congestion issues make bus journeys longer which also increases operating costs, hitting the viability of commercial services and the subsidy required for tendered services.

Many of the commercial services in Sheffield aren't all that profitable - many tickets are cheap and operating costs increasing so efficiencies are having to be made.

But anyway, to actually answer your question, if you are talking about a commercially operated service complain to the company that runs the service (eg First, Stagecoach or TM Travel), for tendered services SYPTE, but overall bigger picture lobby your elected representative - why aren't the public sector organisations involved in public transport receiving enough funding and why aren't there more bus priority measures for example.

In the example of Grenoside, aside from the bit the 86 serves, being reduced to just the 135 once an hour with extended journey times is poor, especially with the likely risk to timekeeping running a bus all the way from Rotherham involves. So how did it come to that - the 35 and the 32 was merged into one revised route (which no longer includes Grenoside) due to reduced funding available for the 32 and the rerouting of the 135 to partially replace the 31b for which there was no funding available to keep it going.

Edited by Andy C

For what its worth I'm already fed up with cuts where I live - the 25 to Bradway no longer runs in the evening (stops 6pm on Sundays and about 8pm the rest of the week), after that time it is just a 24 bus once an hour.

This cut seems to be down to the evening service at the Woodhouse end being tendered and Stagecoach losing that contract to First and the funding is only enough for one vehicle to shuttle Woodhouse-City.

From what i hear anecdotally the numbers of Bradway people using buses has plummeted over the last few years since the 293 was withdrawn and the 25 route was changed - the journey time into town is now so outrageously slow and buses no longer serve some popular places like Abbeydale Road and London Road, the cut to a skeleton evening service is likely to kill patronage even more...

Also the fact you now cannot get by bus from Bradway to Dronfield when they are neighbouring places is also rather poor...

Edited by Andy C

1 hour ago, Andy C said:

You'll find most of the cuts/changes have been down to SYPTE tendered service contracts coming up for renewal, these are the routes that aren't commercially viable but receive a public subsidy to operate on the basis that they are economically or socially important to the communities they serve. Unfortunately due to government austerity policy, public sector organisations and local authorities, including SYPTE, have had repeated budget cuts.

There is also the additional issue of the Senior/Disabled free travel scheme not being properly funded by government, this is hitting both tendered and commercial services. Politicians not addressing road traffic congestion issues make bus journeys longer which also increases operating costs, hitting the viability of commercial services and the subsidy required for tendered services.

Many of the commercial services in Sheffield aren't all that profitable - many tickets are cheap and operating costs increasing so efficiencies are having to be made.

But anyway, to actually answer your question, if you are talking about a commercially operated service complain to the company that runs the service (eg First, Stagecoach or TM Travel), for tendered services SYPTE, but overall bigger picture lobby your elected representative - why aren't the public sector organisations involved in public transport receiving enough funding and why aren't there more bus priority measures for example.

In the example of Grenoside, aside from the bit the 86 serves, being reduced to just the 135 once an hour with extended journey times is poor, especially with the likely risk to timekeeping running a bus all the way from Rotherham involves. So how did it come to that - the 35 and the 32 was merged into one revised route (which no longer includes Grenoside) due to reduced funding available for the 32 and the rerouting of the 135 to partially replace the 31b for which there was no funding available to keep it going.

Thank you  Andy for that information. 

I will do as you suggest regarding contact.