Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

On 06/09/2019 at 11:56, ChasPooter said:

This is a message I have today sent to First Group/First South Yorkshire:

'I am a tetraplegic wheelchair user. Until the recent service changes from route 3/3A to 56 I found that buses were the best way for me to get to and from the city centre. Under the new route of service 56 the nearest I can get to the city centre is either Furnival Street or Eyre Street. From there to Fargate is a 10 minute push which is a problem even for a young wheelchair pusher in the peak of health.

It seems to me that the service changes to route 56 (as it now is) are disabling me far more than the disease which I have (MS). I cannot be alone, the changes affect other wheelchair users, people with mobility difficulties, and parents with children. 

Please consider altering the route of route 56 to include a stop on Arundel Gate. Any bus service from Nether Edge to Wybourn which does not seriously approach the greater city centre is a service to nowhere and will flourish accordingly - such might be the aim.' 

I have multifactorial lung disease and a range of heart problems. The number 3 got me to Arundel Gate where could hobble to various outlets  on Fargate. I could also get to to the Haymarket and the new units which opened around there. Not any more, the route of the 56  excludes me from these two area as I am unable to hobble,climb or crawl up the incline  or the various sets of steps from the Interchange.

Well done  to the individuals who came up with this. I hope one day you realise just how disable unfriendly you've made  this City!

3 hours ago, bigburty said:

I have multifactorial lung disease and a range of heart problems. The number 3 got me to Arundel Gate where could hobble to various outlets  on Fargate. I could also get to to the Haymarket and the new units which opened around there. Not any more, the route of the 56  excludes me from these two area as I am unable to hobble,climb or crawl up the incline  or the various sets of steps from the Interchange.

Well done  to the individuals who came up with this. I hope one day you realise just how disable unfriendly you've made  this City!

Unfortunately you've both contacted the wrong organisation. Most, if not all changes have been ordered by Passenger Transport Executive (Council essentially) 

A lot of changes have been made because SCT have pulled out leaving bigger gaps than the ones you describe in the network so routes have been tweaked to try and cover the shortfall. 

The 56, as far as I'm aware, stops in the bus station. There are an array of buses available to the destinations you have both set out in your posts. 

Guest busdriver1
11 hours ago, lazarus said:

So Busdriver 1, how many times have you seen twelve people waiting to meet someone alight from a bus, which again is a stupid statement, coaches have never ever stopped there, mind reading! more like he should have a scan to see if he's got a mind, were you the driver?

By the way I've found out since a young woman going to work did put out her hand and quite rightly she's made a complaint as she lost an hours pay.

When I did drive buses I have often seen groups at bus stops and stopped for  them only to be told they didnt want the bus, so, contrary to your assertion it DOES happen.

Coaches have never stopped there? are you sure? There is a first time for everything even a deedaa admitting they are wrong. - no just kidding that will never happen

I do not sully myself and visit sheffield so for that reason and a multitude of others it could not have been me. (another being I dont drive buses)

If one person did manage to raise their arm - that can be checked on cctv and if found to be correct can and will be acted on.

Edited by busdriver1

Guest busdriver1
9 hours ago, Michael_N said:

How exactly is the driver an idiot? 12 people waiting for a bus and no one sticks their arm out - so quite rightly so the bus didn't stop.

The answer is simple, the world must run around after the likes of lazarus and mind read them whilst they get wet nursed at every stage of their lives not taking responsibility for any part of their lives.

5 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

The answer is simple, the world must run around after the likes of lazarus and mind read them whilst they get wet nursed at every stage of their lives not taking responsibility for any part of their lives.

I lay in bed at night dreaming that the world would run around me and to get wet nursed brilliant,  I would like to know just what's wrong with criticising a bus driver ? When I was in N Ireland the Seargent certainly did those things he wouldn't let me go on patrol just in case I was shot.

Guest busdriver1
6 hours ago, lazarus said:

I lay in bed at night dreaming that the world would run around me and to get wet nursed brilliant,  I would like to know just what's wrong with criticising a bus driver ? When I was in N Ireland the Seargent certainly did those things he wouldn't let me go on patrol just in case I was shot.

When you are having a go at a guy just doing his or her job and refuse point blank to accept any idea other than your own twisted view of life.

Just for once accept that not every ill in the world is the fault of a bus driver. I know that is the Sheffield way but try for once to be normal eh?

On 11/09/2019 at 20:46, lazarus said:

So Busdriver 1, how many times have you seen twelve people waiting to meet someone alight from a bus, which again is a stupid statement, coaches have never ever stopped there, mind reading! more like he should have a scan to see if he's got a mind, were you the driver?

By the way I've found out since a young woman going to work did put out her hand and quite rightly she's made a complaint as she lost an hours pay.

Oh and what about when several busses use the same stop and one is there picking up fares when yours arrives. You hot foot it to the rear of the stationary bus, wave your hand like mad but he sails past because you’re not at the designated stop. Worse still he sees you, pulls in front of the stationary bus, lets people off them sets off before you can get  there

Was it not beyond the wit of First Bus to get their stops and signage in order before unleashing their drivers on the new routes.

The 95 timetable quite clearly states that there are stops on Furnival Street, Furnival Gate and Charter Row but out of all these only one has a proper stop.

Or they could educate their drivers to know where they should stop instead of ignoring the temporary stops like the lackwit on my 95 did this morning.

Nevermind that he was already stationary due to traffic he insisted the bus didn't stop there.

Funny how the one 15 minutes later did isn't it?

Luckily when I got to Walkley I happened to see him on the return journey so was able to show my opinion of him with an appropriate hand gesture.

1 hour ago, taxman said:

Was it not beyond the wit of First Bus to get their stops and signage in order before unleashing their drivers on the new routes.

The 95 timetable quite clearly states that there are stops on Furnival Street, Furnival Gate and Charter Row but out of all these only one has a proper stop.

Or they could educate their drivers to know where they should stop instead of ignoring the temporary stops like the lackwit on my 95 did this morning.

Nevermind that he was already stationary due to traffic he insisted the bus didn't stop there.

Funny how the one 15 minutes later did isn't it?

Luckily when I got to Walkley I happened to see him on the return journey so was able to show my opinion of him with an appropriate hand gesture.

It stops on Furnival St/gate but not Charter Row & has not since the changes. 

This is from the PTE not First or the drivers. Drivers have been instructed not to stop there. 

PTE are the ones responsible for the stops and associated literature not First. 

Admitting to abusing bus staff on a public forum, well you're hard aren't ya? 

What makes me laugh is I live within walking distance of Meadowhall but the easiest way to get to a supermarket is by tram to Morrisons at Hillsborough or by bus to Rotherham and go to the Tesco near the bus station. 

9 hours ago, Resident said:

This is from the PTE not First or the drivers. Drivers have been instructed not to stop there. 

The timetable says. Furnival Street then Furnival Gate then Charter Row. That is the updated timetable. Every other driver stops at Furnival gate so why didn't this tosser. Maybe you should read the new timetable before posting incorrect information. 

10 hours ago, Resident said:

Here is a link to the the NEW timetable. If you are having trouble clicking on links I will copy and paste what it says.

Stopping points for service 95

Pond Street  Furnival Street  Furnival Gate  Charter Row  West Street  Glossop Road

Could that be any clearer?

So yes, I feel justified in gesticulating to the bus driver who either by idiocy, lack of training or sheer bloody mindedness chose not to stop at Furnival Gate.