Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

33 minutes ago, Sheffield87 said:

It would be hugely helpful

LOL... it would be hugely helpful if the busses ran on time and the fares didn't go up every year. Sadly Thatcher privatised them so we just have to suck it up.

3 hours ago, Retro Queen said:

I've been to Manor Park today for work purposes and can't believe how frequent the buses are up there. Its a suburb of Sheffield just like where I live and others here who have had their bus routes cut. Where's the justification?

At the bus stop in town  tonight coming home there was someone asking people to sign a petition to get better buses so of course I signed it. Lets hope it gets results.

That is because the service is well used by people who pay. But even our routes been cut in the evening if you look.

It's not the only bus route that runs regularly.

Tried the 135 re-routed service replacing 31 bus around Langsett estate. The now hourly service was 20min late (not surprising as it has such a long route) and cut off even more of the old route by entering the estate via the first available road rather than the central Normandale Rd.   Both the driver and his SYPTE companion admitted they did not know the route they should be taking and were relying on a colleague boarding the bus at Hillsborough interchange to guide them- this was at 13..55 on the 3rd day of the new service. I got off the bus at the nearest stop to my home which involved walking across the top of the poorly lit field and down onto the access road through overgrown bushes. Not a walk I would want to take in bad weather or  a winter afternoon. Both lower access points from Langsett Rd tram and bus stops at the Creswick end of the estate are also via poorly lit steep isolated routes overgrown with bushes and trees- and the council threaten use  or lose services!!!

10 hours ago, catmiss said:

Tried the 135 re-routed service replacing 31 bus around Langsett estate. The now hourly service was 20min late (not surprising as it has such a long route) and cut off even more of the old route by entering the estate via the first available road rather than the central Normandale Rd.   Both the driver and his SYPTE companion admitted they did not know the route they should be taking and were relying on a colleague boarding the bus at Hillsborough interchange to guide them- this was at 13..55 on the 3rd day of the new service. I got off the bus at the nearest stop to my home which involved walking across the top of the poorly lit field and down onto the access road through overgrown bushes. Not a walk I would want to take in bad weather or  a winter afternoon. Both lower access points from Langsett Rd tram and bus stops at the Creswick end of the estate are also via poorly lit steep isolated routes overgrown with bushes and trees- and the council threaten use  or lose services!!!

I understand that a double decker 135 took a wrong turn and ended up stuck on Walkley Street yesterday!

There seems to have been very little thought put into the details of the new routes and what size buses it is sensible to run on them, certainly in the Walkley area.

Edited by bluecanary

21 hours ago, Andy C said:

In other news - trams

Following the rail replacement works on the Hillsborough line over the summer, the full tram network is now open and running to the normal timetables, see supertram.com:

Yellow route - Meadowhall Interchange-Attercliffe-City-Hillsborough-Middlewood up to every 10 minutes

Blue route - Halfway-Gleadless Townend-City-Hillsborough-Malin Bridge up to every 10 minutes

Purple route - Herdings Park-Gleadless Townend-City up to every 20 minutes

Tram Train route - Parkgate-Rotherham Central-Meadowhall South-Attercliffe-City up to 3 trips per hour

Sheffield Citywide and South Yorkshire Connect passes offer unlimited travel by any bus or tram. See www.sytravelmaster.com.

Wow this is a well kept secret as the yellow and blue trams are running at 12 minute intervals most of the day and all day saturday

2 hours ago, bluecanary said:

I understand that a double decker 135 took a wrong turn and ended up stuck on Walkley Street yesterday!

There seems to have been very little thought put into the details of the new routes and what size buses it is sensible to run on them, certainly in the Walkley area.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Can’t wait to see how the double deckers will cope with the very steep Whitehouse road in winter weather. I’ve a feeling it will be the perfect excuse to avoid the area altogether

2 hours ago, amnicoll said:

Wow this is a well kept secret as the yellow and blue trams are running at 12 minute intervals most of the day and all day saturday

every 10 minutes at peak commuter times, every 12 minutes off peak daytime, every 20 mins eve/sun.

19 hours ago, Andy C said:

every 10 minutes at peak commuter times, every 12 minutes off peak daytime, every 20 mins eve/sun.

and there was me getting all excited thinking that they had reinstated to 10 minute frequency through out the day and Saturdays

This is a message I have today sent to First Group/First South Yorkshire:

'I am a tetraplegic wheelchair user. Until the recent service changes from route 3/3A to 56 I found that buses were the best way for me to get to and from the city centre. Under the new route of service 56 the nearest I can get to the city centre is either Furnival Street or Eyre Street. From there to Fargate is a 10 minute push which is a problem even for a young wheelchair pusher in the peak of health.

It seems to me that the service changes to route 56 (as it now is) are disabling me far more than the disease which I have (MS). I cannot be alone, the changes affect other wheelchair users, people with mobility difficulties, and parents with children. 

Please consider altering the route of route 56 to include a stop on Arundel Gate. Any bus service from Nether Edge to Wybourn which does not seriously approach the greater city centre is a service to nowhere and will flourish accordingly - such might be the aim.' 

21 minutes ago, ChasPooter said:

This is a message I have today sent to First Group/First South Yorkshire:

'I am a tetraplegic wheelchair user. Until the recent service changes from route 3/3A to 56 I found that buses were the best way for me to get to and from the city centre. Under the new route of service 56 the nearest I can get to the city centre is either Furnival Street or Eyre Street. From there to Fargate is a 10 minute push which is a problem even for a young wheelchair pusher in the peak of health.

It seems to me that the service changes to route 56 (as it now is) are disabling me far more than the disease which I have (MS). I cannot be alone, the changes affect other wheelchair users, people with mobility difficulties, and parents with children. 

Please consider altering the route of route 56 to include a stop on Arundel Gate. Any bus service from Nether Edge to Wybourn which does not seriously approach the greater city centre is a service to nowhere and will flourish accordingly - such might be the aim.' 

Will be interesting to see what they say.

Of course the 56 has always run into the bus interchange, however traditionally the Nether Edge buses have done Arundel Gate/Town Hall/High Street type area.

There does seem to be recent developments that take the view that as many of the big shops around Fargate along with the markets have closed down and relocated to the Moor, buses should serve the Moor instead.

I suppose connecting services are available, although clearly that is less than ideal when using a wheelchair.

Since the bus partnership relaunched the network a few years back (was it 2012 or 2016? I can't remember) route changes to efficiently merge/redistribute routes efficiently have frustrated me - for example the 25 from Bradway and 75 before that always served London Road, with stops down there fairly popular, now the 25 does Queens Road and the inner ring road completely bypassing where many of the passengers wanted to be!

Edited by Andy C

Good luck with you complaint. I contacted the Mayor’s office (as suggested by local MPs office) Yesterday I received  response, cc wrong MP for my area,  reiterating SYPTE blurb re financial viability and low usage (service was well used daytime) There was also comments showing a complete lack of awareness re the area eg relatively flat access from Burgoyne Rd to Whitehouse Lane- true but when you’ve done the flat access  with few houses  you face  a stonking  big hill where most dwellings (including a development in progress) are. The response then tells me I can make use of the free Community Transport mini bus-this runs Tuesday mornings to Morrison’s - so stuff the other Hillsborough traders particularly independents and stuff access to medical, social amenities. There’s a lot of elderly and or disabled people  in this area who have been badly affected so as I say good luck 😉