Sheffield Bus Network Changes - September 2019

On 29/08/2019 at 14:00, Andy C said:

In more simple language, support your local community's bus service by buying tickets and travelling on it - or lose it!

I did, now the bus being the time it is, it's 'useless' to me. Almost as if they want to get rid of it. I know several paying passengers who are no longer going to get it as it's too late for the final trip.

Like owt else, the Tories will blame the last Labour Government. That, by the way, was in 1978. Blair's 'New Labour' was just a light blue Tory Party. As for Carr Road at Walkley, you could sail the QE2 up and down it.

36 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

As for Carr Road at Walkley, you could sail the QE2 up and down it.

and destroy all the parked cars in the process...

Perhaps it would be useful if the timetables for 75/76 Shiregreen were updated to reflect the change of numbers beginning at Butterthwaite Road.  Fortunately I have UK bus checker on my phone, but someone who has planned to visit St James Shopping Centre using the 75 might be disappointed!

That's a point too, if a bus is every hour or even every half hour and it fails to turn up its a long wait and also means people being late for work.

I now have to go back to getting the 98 to town which takes half an hour and goes all round Southey and Longley etc first, whereas the 32 takes about ten minutes to get into town from where I live but it now runs at times (every hour!) which would get me to work either far too early or too late.

The 18 replacing the 38 will be the bus I will have to get to my doctor's, the same as most people on my estate I would think, that is now every hour, so if that fails to turn up or is late doctor's appointments are missed. Not very good I'd say.

With the changes to the 36 we now have no buses at all after 6pm and at all on Sunday if my understanding is correct.

We can't all walk to Meadowhall or down to the x78 route. They provision here had been cut time and again since we moved here in 2004 plus the services that are available getting less and less reliable. We would try to support our bus route but there's hardly any buses left to get on.

12 hours ago, Maddy said:

With the changes to the 36 we now have no buses at all after 6pm and at all on Sunday if my understanding is correct.

We can't all walk to Meadowhall or down to the x78 route. They provision here had been cut time and again since we moved here in 2004 plus the services that are available getting less and less reliable. We would try to support our bus route but there's hardly any buses left to get on.

Hi, where do you live? The 32 bus near me doesn't run after 7.00 pm or on Sundays. We do at least have the option of the 98 but that's a longer route and only every half an hour.

Its just getting ridiculous. I  do sympathise with you.,

Grimesthorpe so about 15 minute walk from Meadowhall. If I lived somewhere more isolated I'd be less surprised but it's a very built up area. Not everyone can walk to the next nearest stops. I've also got kids who are starting to travel places alone and this impacts their independence too.

We have complained at our ever decreasing service but it makes no difference. The number of times a bus simply hasn't turned up too mean it's hard to trust you'll be able to get to work etc on time. I feel like they use declining passenger numbers to justify cutting the service but the decline is because the service has already become unusable for a lot of people. As you say, ridiculous 😣

3 hours ago, Maddy said:

Grimesthorpe so about 15 minute walk from Meadowhall. If I lived somewhere more isolated I'd be less surprised but it's a very built up area. Not everyone can walk to the next nearest stops. I've also got kids who are starting to travel places alone and this impacts their independence too.

We have complained at our ever decreasing service but it makes no difference. The number of times a bus simply hasn't turned up too mean it's hard to trust you'll be able to get to work etc on time. I feel like they use declining passenger numbers to justify cutting the service but the decline is because the service has already become unusable for a lot of people. As you say, ridiculous 😣

Looking at the bus map, Grimesthorpe has two bus routes, the 5 and the 36.

The 5 is operated under contract to SYPTE with a subsidy.

I think the 36 in the daytime is run commercially by First but the evening and Sunday service was under contract to SYPTE with a subsidy. I assume therefore the evening and Sunday service was withdrawn as a result of SYPTE pulling the funding. (I could be wrong though - it might just be First cutting their losses).

I guess Grimesthorpe does suffer geographically not being on a main drag but being between two busy corridors - on one side there is the corridor up through Burngreave to the Northern General which is very well bussed and on the other side is Saville Street East / Brightside Lane with the 65/X17/X78. The buses that actually serve Grimesthorpe are being run specifically for that area so only have a limited pool of potential customers, then remember a portion of those will be travelling for free on Senior/Disabled passes which aren't contributing to the financial viability of the service.

If you want a better service I would suggest lobbying your councillor and MP - either they need to secure more funding to subsidise more buses - which would need justifying - or another bus route needs diverting through Grimesthorpe which could have a wider impact. 

Edited by Andy C

In other news - trams

Following the rail replacement works on the Hillsborough line over the summer, the full tram network is now open and running to the normal timetables, see supertram.com:

Yellow route - Meadowhall Interchange-Attercliffe-City-Hillsborough-Middlewood up to every 10 minutes

Blue route - Halfway-Gleadless Townend-City-Hillsborough-Malin Bridge up to every 10 minutes

Purple route - Herdings Park-Gleadless Townend-City up to every 20 minutes

Tram Train route - Parkgate-Rotherham Central-Meadowhall South-Attercliffe-City up to 3 trips per hour

Sheffield Citywide and South Yorkshire Connect passes offer unlimited travel by any bus or tram. See www.sytravelmaster.com.

Edited by Andy C

I've been to Manor Park today for work purposes and can't believe how frequent the buses are up there. Its a suburb of Sheffield just like where I live and others here who have had their bus routes cut. Where's the justification?

At the bus stop in town  tonight coming home there was someone asking people to sign a petition to get better buses so of course I signed it. Lets hope it gets results.

It would be hugely helpful if when moving where buses stop there was some kind of information poster to alert passengers. 

As of the weekend the 51 going up to Lodge Moor now stops one stop further up on the High Street (previously outside Pret) however there is nothing to inform passengers of this change and the information on the electronic information boards still hasn’t been updated so people are still queuing for the 51 at the old stop and the information on the board at the new stop doesn’t relate to the correct buses!